Studio scale 2001 Star Child

steve neill

Sr Member
I'm also in addition to Moon Watcher building a studio scale Star Child exactly the way it was done nearly 50 years ago. This will be molded in RTV silcone and cast from epoxy resin

Only a couple of hours sculpting so far. Video tells all.

IMG_2709.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great stuff Steve...only "critic" for me is that the your head is not turned enough to the left side. Eager to see the next vid.:)

Now that the Moonwatcher head is done I'm back at the Star Child. Adam Savage sent me some of the best pictures ever of the original. I was surprised how rough it was and unrefined. However it only had to be good for camera. I did turn the head more but now that I have his pictures I see many things I still have to change to look more like Liz Moore's beautiful work.IMG_2930.JPGIMG_2927.JPG

Getting there Steve and yes, the head is at a much better angle now. Adam is right about the finish of the child, as your Moon Walker, let's keep it canon in every way, shape or form;)

This sucker is so hard to get right! Every picture I have of the original the lighting is different. Good and bad. Good because it brings out values in the sculpture that are hard to see otherwise and bad because it looks like a different sculpt when it's not. If I had the original here in person this would be a no brainer. So you take your best shot.
Adam Savage and I have been exchanging emails daily, better, worse, better! Much better! To the right, to the left, up, down.
I ended up removing the entire face and placed it on it's back straight on to me where I could change the lighting to match the pictures I was working from. That helped a bunch.
It's a oddly proportioned sculpt the original and I have to match it and it goes against all my better instincts but.. I think it's finally in the ballpark. After all that I placed the head back on the body and angled it correctly to the body which it was not.
Now it's all rough and unfinished but the correct size and proportions.
So next week I finish, mold and make up a couple. One for Adam, one for me. The whole story and the "How I did it" video's will be on tested and to my subscribers at Patreon.

IMG_3020.JPGIMG_3014.JPGIMG_3010.JPG

IMG_3020.JPG

IMG_3014.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
awesome! love the moonwatcher! 2001 is one of my favorite movies. I remember seeing "Laserblast" when I was 7 years old! it was freaking mindblowing for me that time :D. this forum is awesome!

good luck with the starchild.

Thank you so much for your kind comment! Funny you should mention Laser Blast because we are recreating a new opening scene for the 40th anniversary of the movie starting this year. I'll be making the gun, makeup and props. Ve Neill will apply the makeup to me and we are shooting in the original location in the desert. More on that later.

Steve, that Star Child is getting there...I know that this sculpt is very tricky to achieve and you have all my sympathy/admiration for trying to get it right:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back