Fiberglass X-Wing Porkins helmet

xbadcardx

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here is the fiberglass X-Wing helmet from Walter's project run that I am turning into a Porkins / Red 6.

Still need to weather it, but so far this is where I'm at. Masked and painted the red stripes with Rustoleum and cut out sheet vinyl for the squares. The other decals are from goldenarmor.com. The APH ear cups are from flighthelmets.com also.

]
36923294216_955491bd41_c.jpg

36299085803_8113335662_c.jpg

36299084943_e2b7c77395_c.jpg

36923293746_7830e4f6ed_c.jpg

Last edited:
Looks awesome so far! I have a couple of phone pics of the original from the identities exhibition if you want weathering reference.

Mine should be arriving from Walter soon. Don't know who to do!

Yeah, that would be great. I never could find anything showing the original's top mohawk stripes, so I just winged it. Did you get that angle by any chance?

Sweet, those are perfect. Looks like I need to change the sides under the rams horns to green instead of black also.

Great finish!

Since my kit arrived at the weekend, do any tips on mods or any extra materials to use putting it together?

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment! The only real issue I had was expoxy-ing on the mohawk strip. I got in a hurry while I was doing it and it was slightly crooked about 3/4 of the way down. I had to heat up and bend the styrene strip to get it back on line, but it was a pain. Make sure you take your time and triple check the alignment as you are gluing it down.

I also cleaned up the round divets a bit in the square cheek pieces. I used a countersink drill bit to hand-ream these out by just spinning the bit with my fingers. The fiberglass topcoat is soft enough where you can do it by hand and not risk drilling all the way through with a power tool.

I brushed on black Plastic Dip for the interior, which really made a huge difference. It seals up the fiberglass and makes adding padding way easier due to the smooth even surface it creates.

I also followed Walter's tip on using the Krylon tangerine orange stained glass spraypaint for the visor. It will look like a blotchy mess at first, but it will dry to a nice even finish after a few coats.

This is a beautiful helmet and requires minimal cleanup to get it ready for paint. After a coat of Rustoleum gray primer, I used semi-gloss white Rustoleum enamel for the base coat and let it dry for about a week before I did any detail painting.

Super helpful - thanks very much! I really like what you've done with yours, but still in a dilemma about how to finish mine - Wedge, Biggs or Red Leader.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back