Monster clay not sticking to plaster

Owencc

So i'm a beginner with mask making and I've never used monster clay before. i'm trying to make a full head West German clown mask out of latex. I have a full plaster head cast and now i'm trying to sculpt onto it with monster clay but when I put the clay on it doesn't really stick.

Does anyone know if I should use a different kind of clay?. Or any other suggestions?

Thanks for the reply ChickenHaunt. Someone else also said that it might be too wet but I've let it dry for at least a week. How long do head casts normally take to fully dry?

Thanks Yarko i'll probably try that once it's fully dry if it isn't already

One trick I've seen the pros use although I've never done it, is melt a small amount into liquid and paint it on as a base coat let it dry and the apply it.

Thanks for the suggestion Predatoj i'll try that. Right now I've set up a heater at a somewhat low temperature and a fan to try and dry it out and then i'm probably going to try the white glue coat suggestion.

Thanks for all the help!

Put it in the oven and bake it (the plaster). Not too hot, but above the boiling point of water... say 250 Degrees Fahrenheit. You don't have to do it long, maybe 30 minutes. That will get the moisture out of the plaster.

Now there's an idea!. the heater seems to be working well enough but i am impatient so i'll probably try that tomorrow.

Thanks man!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back