Poe Dameron Nerf Blaster Glie-44 Repaint

Christheeagle

So Force Friday II was awesome. Other than the Black Series Thrawn, one thing I really wanted was Poe's Blaster. It seems that Finn and Paige are getting the same blaster for TLJ - so it's this trilogy's DL-44 I suppose. Finn's and Paige's blasters are more silver oriented, whereas Poe's has a brass finish on it (you may even go as far as calling it gold).

It's PRETTY close to the screen used one. I would say the only differences are:

1. The Nerf clip on the top for mounting scopes, or other Nerf add-ons
2. The blaster itself looks a tad longer than the screen one
3. And some of the holes are not real - similar to the Rubie's DL-44 Flash Hider (non)perforated holes

These things were not really high on my priority list to fix. Basically I didn't feel like getting out the saw or drill for a $25 blaster.

I already had all the paints.

Spray Paint:
1. Primer
2. Flat Black
3. Silver

Enamel:
1. Flat Gun Metal Black
2. Brass
3. Rust
4. Blue
5. Red

I used contour putty to fill in the screw holes.

This is the blaster from Wookieepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Glie-44_blaster_pistol
IMG_2754.jpg

This is the blaster still in the package, I didn't get detailed shots before I started working on it, ha.

IMG_2700.JPGIMG_2707.JPG

The contour putty I used:
IMG_2785.jpg

First Step was filling in the screw holes, removing the grips, and sanding off the logo & words (initial sanding with course, then fine):
IMG_2758.JPGIMG_2761.JPG

Next Step is full primer. I also only spray painted three parts black on this blaster; the grips, the cartridge(?), and the pull-back hammer:
IMG_2772.jpgIMG_2773.jpg

Next Step is spray painting the majority of the gun silver as a base color:
IMG_2774.jpgIMG_2775.jpg

The Final step was weathering. This was done by first applying a black wash, but I quickly decided against that because it was going nowhere. I resorted to just using gun metal black enamel paint, dabbing it appropriately, then wiping it away. Then I did the same with the brass, but more heavily. I also did the tip of the gun where the blast emits and causes heat color warping of the flash hider.
IMG_2788.jpgIMG_2787.jpgIMG_2789.jpg

I almost picked one of these up to repaint it too, but the size seems a little too large for use with a pilot costume. Has nice details on it though, and your repaint came out great!

I would be the last person to know the screen blaster actual dimensions, but as far as not making the appearance too Nerf-like, it's pretty spot on. The Rey Blaster was way too huge and deviated too much from the original blaster design, as well as the Han TFA Nerf. But after this one, I'm excited to see future ones.

There's also tiny legal writing on the hand grip you may have missed. About to do one myself and noticed this. Gun looks great, man.

This is definitely the best Nerf blaster we've gotten. Hasbro has produced better, and I've found the Nerf blasters they've put out vastly inferior to the stuff they were putting out around the time of TCW, but these Glie-44's are really nice, and are ripe for repaints!

Great work. One day (yeah right) I hope to do this to my Poe blaster and some of the others I've picked up cheap at Ross over the last couple years.

I like that you filled the screw holes. Those things really annoy me. Not a lot of repainters do that.

Have you done any repaints of the Star Wars nerf guns?

Yeah I would say that this is the closest Hasbro/Nerf has come to a 1:1 screen accurate blaster.

I believe the closest 1:1 nerf is the Jyn blaster. However the problem is:

• It's not Jyn's, It's Cassian's
  • As Cassian's, it is in a mid build to it's on screen sniper configuration as it lacks barrel, stock, and scope (these are included in the Target exclusive but they are not accurate, just reissued parts of past nerf blasters).

I have to wonder if the scale is being tweaked on purpose and NOT for reason's of child hands. The actual Cassian pistol is too small and the Poe is too big. Almost like they might be trying to avoid any conflicting licensing issues.

I myself am a big fan of my repainted DH-17 (Hasbro foam dart... not an actual nerf product). It's about as undersized to the real A New Hope prop as a real sterling is oversized to the actual prop. But I like it a lot more than my MR replica because it can be welded as large pistol type weapon much like they did in A New Hope.

The blaster feels great in your hand, has weight to it. I wondered if it was a mold from the original but I guess not you say. Hasbro really stepped up their game now that Disney is running the show, not that Hasbro didn't do cool stuff before. Never thought to cover the screw holes, easy fix there.

I wondered if it was a mold from the original but I guess not you say. Hasbro really stepped up their game now that Disney is running the show, not that Hasbro didn't do cool stuff before. Never thought to cover the screw holes, easy fix there.

It has been determined that the base of the blaster is a SIG-Sauer P226 (I think that is what it was). So in comparison the SIG, the nerf is oversized.

Every once in a while, Hasbro has done some decent rp items that can mod well into prop such as the Grievous blaster and the battle droid blaster. Here is my mod of the Battle Droid blaster. https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=210211&page=2&p=3364454&viewfull=1#post3364454 a

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back