Superman: The Movie returning to the Big Screen in 2018?

Captain Dunsel

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
With a couple of recent high profile anniversary re-releases of classic movies (Close Encounters,Wrath of Khan), it occurs to me that 2018 Will be the 40th Anniversary of "Superman: Th Movie".

I recall that Warner Brothers aborted their 2001 re-release and played the movie one night--in only one location--n Austin, TX:

https://youtu.be/U_kkRHy1js8

Are there any rumblings of any plans to re-release the film in 2018?

With the love of "all things superheroes" in the cinema (from a box office perspective) combined with nostalgia, and the overall impact of this classic film, I would think the time would be right for it.

Last edited:
Yeah, and I'm sure that the studio would not welcome the inevitable comparisons between "Man of Steel Superman" and "70's Superman".

Although....when there is a dollar to be made above production costs, studios seldom say "no", it seems.

I loved this film when I saw this in theaters and I love this film today but I don't believe younger viewers nowadays will appreciate this film in its proper context.
I can still watch this film through 1978 eyes. Outside of that I'm not certain this film has aged well. The street scenes look like a walk through the Universal Tour. The costume and green-screening have not aged well. The Hoover Dam scene is awful in just about every possible way. I think Star Wars, Blade Runner and even Wrath of Khan have aged better appearance-wise than this film has.

However this is still the best Clark/Superman and Lois Lane to date. Chris's performance embodies everything that made Superman interesting. I wish they could recapture this representation today.

Are there any millennials today that even like this movie?

George's Clark ruled them all.
When I watched reruns in the early 1970's it was cool in the way just about every sci-fi fantasy was for me at the time. I even remember getting Superman trading cards that had stills from episodes. As I recall 1950's Superman was still the basic 1950's hero archetype. Superman 1978 I remember as something special, however.

I haven't seen any episodes since I was probably 6 years old but I do recall the staging and performances pretty well. Am I missing something? What was so special about George?

George's Kent was the "mild mannered reporter" he was always described to be, not some bumbling goof walking into doors and shoving his glasses up his nose. Chris was a great Superman, but I hated his Clark, not that it affected my love of the film. But George Reeves was the Superman I grew up with, and he was a tough act to follow.

The typical scene from the 50s show was Superman saves the day, Lois tells Jimmy they need to get back and write the story to scoop Clark. But Supes has already flown back to the Daily Planet, typed up his story at super speed, and is handing it in to Perry White just as Lois and Jimmy show up. Lois asks "Clark how did you get back so fast?" And Clark would smile and say "I don't know Lois, maybe I'm Superman."

I LOVE "Superman: The Movie". It's become "required viewing" by nearly every "superhero director/producer/writer" as the way to "do it right".

What it lacks, in terms of special effects, it more than makes up for in terms of story, characters, acting, and most important of all---"heart".

(And let's not forget John Williams' iconic score--eat your heart out Hans Zimmer...)

The re-release trailer alone is better than "Man of Steel" or "Batman vs. Superman"....

https://youtu.be/U_kkRHy1js8

Sad thing is, I have not seen it on the BIG screen since it came out when I was 3 years old (though I still remember seeing it).

Last edited:
I know that the awesome man behind CapedWonder.com is in collaboration to do something special for the 40th anniversary. Whether it be a theatrical release, or a kick-ass Blu-Ray set, I'm down. Christopher Reeve IS Superman. However, like robn1, I dig George Reeves' Clark Kent more. He's mild-mannered, but not a push-over. Christopher Reeve's Clark was too much of a milquetoast.

Considering that the term "millennial" applies to people born around '83 or '84 (can't remember the exact year), that makes the oldest "millennial" 33 or 34. I'm sure there are plenty of people in that age range that holds a fondness and admiration for that film as I do (and I fall in the millennial age range) without being old enough to see it on its initial release.

And to mirror Alley's post, Donner's Superman is still the best superhero film to date in my eyes. It set the bar in terms of what a film like it should be because not only does it capture the fantastic and romantic nature of the character Superman, but it's a well constructed film. It's a bit dated, sure, but I think the only two films since to get close to Donner's Superman are X-Men and Batman Begins.

Considering that the term "millennial" applies to people born around '83 or '84 (can't remember the exact year), that makes the oldest "millennial" 33 or 34. I'm sure there are plenty of people in that age range that holds a fondness and admiration for that film as I do (and I fall in the millennial age range) without being old enough to see it on its initial release.
Then there's hope.

Thank you.

I loved this film when I saw this in theaters and I love this film today but I don't believe younger viewers nowadays will appreciate this film in its proper context.
I can still watch this film through 1978 eyes. Outside of that I'm not certain this film has aged well. The street scenes look like a walk through the Universal Tour. The costume and green-screening have not aged well. The Hoover Dam scene is awful in just about every possible way. I think Star Wars, Blade Runner and even Wrath of Khan have aged better appearance-wise than this film has.

However this is still the best Clark/Superman and Lois Lane to date. Chris's performance embodies everything that made Superman interesting. I wish they could recapture this representation today.

I'm technically one, born in the 80's and I love the film.... looove the film. I own a SINGLE movie soundtrack on vinyl: Superman the Movie :love
One big reason why I saw Superman Returns SIX TIMES in the theater was because of Williams' Superman score.

George's Clark ruled them all.

....until Dean Cain showed up ;)

There is an iPetitions petition started to get STM re-released in theatres. Check out (Google) Superman the Movie 40th Anniversary

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back