Replicating a small part - where now?

Venomouse

eyes.png

5mm middle axle - 42mm shells, 2mm walls

Hi All,

I am after some suggestions for replication of the above object.

I am using it as a set of eyelids for a puppet mechanism, and need to eventually get to the point where I can easily re-produce the part.

I've run out of ideas in terms of making this.

I can 3d print, but the part feels a little brittle (and I don't have a 3d printer anymore), thin walls etc.

I could vacuum form, but then the 5mm pivot needs to be manually added.

I could mold this I think? what would be the best product to mold it with for stability as the middle bar will be pivoting back and forth.

Hoping someone could suggest an easy way to reproduce the part several times without a lot of mucking around :)

Edit

Other thought I had was to have a threaded cylinder (if anyone knows the technical term it will assist me sourcing parts) I could screw the hemispheres into (assuming the screw head would sit flat). Then it's just determining what the hemispheres are constructed from.

Thank you
V

Last edited:
Molding would be tough if you're not equipped for it. You'd need a two part mold, and the thin wall of the domes will need a pressure pot to be sure you get a good cast.

How about a couple of Plastruct hemispheres joined with a plastruct tube and pinned on both sides. Reproducing it will just take a two part mould. Mind you if you pinned it after you make a copy it would add a lot to the strength overall.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back