Intro and X-Wing/Tie Fighter Diorama

dave

Hello all, this is my first post and thought I would share a project I've been working on (obsessed with) for a couple months. I finally finished it and wanted to show it off.

It all started by watching a video on youtube of an Y and A-Wing, and the concept came into me. A little research and lots of supply buying and I came up with what you see below. Let me know what you think.

The head-on view is the most boring, and it's meant to be walked around, as it's a 3d model.
VCSFsx8.jpg

I tried to get it to look like the cover of the X-Wing game from the 90's. The "explosion is about 10 red and yellow flicker 5mm LEDs on a thin cardboard base, with a chicken wire frame and cotton balls attached. I probably could've done better but I'm not much of an artist.
_DSC8307.jpg

The back side. 5mm red flicker LEDs in the engines. I had to hollow out the engines, then shave down the LEDs on the edges for them to fit. I had to use 30ga wire too. It was really tough.
_DSC8331.jpg

_DSC8306.jpg

One of the things I'm most proud of is the fiber optics in the cockpit. The computer targeting display especially. I bundled about 6 and painted them clear orange/yellow to simulate the targeting display. One fiber optic filament wouldn't have given the sense of a "grid" like in the movies. That's about the closest I could get.
_DSC8329.jpg

My paint job in the X-Wing is terrible, lol.
_DSC8321.jpg

I had a mishap on the cockpit window and something I did melted the plastic a bit. We'll call it battle damage. The R2 unit will fix it.
_DSC8320.jpg

_DSC8318.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC8300.jpg
    _DSC8300.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 266
Very cool idea. It's amazing how convincing that explosion looks in some of the photos.

Thanks. I've been toying with the idea of painting the fringes black, but I can't bring myself to do it. I don't know why, it's just cotton.

I think one of the coolest things about it is that the LEDs flicker. I got the special LEDs from HDA model works.

Last edited by a moderator:
That ' flickering ' IN the explosion cloud really is a cool effect when viewed in motion . Congratulations and thanks for sharing . Any other dioramas coming soon ?

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

That ' flickering ' IN the explosion cloud really is a cool effect when viewed in motion . Congratulations and thanks for sharing . Any other dioramas coming soon ?

Cheers Ged :thumbsup

Not sure. I'm so tied up with school/family/work that it's been hard to get anything done. I DO want to do a Shoretrooper getting shot while running and being ankle-deep in water (resin), but that may be a bit off.

I have to learn some painting skills before then too, lol.

I would love to do something similar with studio scale sized models. Currently working on a studio scale y wing from Mike Salzo and have 2 more studio x-wings to build over the winter.

Looks beautiful and convincing. It is nice to see this explosion effect in SW diorama, till now I have seen it only on wartime dioramas.

However the flickering effect breaks the "timefreez" illusion for me.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back