Problem with latex de lamination.

scaryguy1

I recently painted a latex mask using latex mixed with acrylic paint. But when I did the rub off technique, using a wet rag, the latex/paint mix peeled, ruining the whole mask. Now I have to take it all off and have no idea how. The paint/latex is very thin in most spots, making a new starting point to peel very difficult. I. Even tried to scrub it off with soap and hot water. That didn't seem to help either. Anyone know a way to removed the dried latex paint mixture? From now on I'm not using latex and paint as a colorant.

I've never used this method to paint latex but I can imagine why this would happen. Latex is unwieldy it does what it wants being a natural material it can't be controlled. It's basically started to skin as you rubbed it. I would scrap the mask and do another. You'll never get it all off, you could spend a year picking it off. Buy an airbrush and learnt to paint with ink. It's not that expensive and not as difficult as people think.

Two better ways to go. One is rubber cement and rubber cement thinner mixed thin enough to go through and airbrush. Use universal tins to pigment it. Will never rub off or peal ever as it bonds on a molecular level with the rubber. Don Post studios used this for years.
Another paint that is non toxic and water soluble is Burman Industries water based polyurethane primer. This stuff is great although a bit pricey.
https://www.burmanfoam.com/sc-80-flexible-primer-sealer.html
I have worked as a creature maker and special makeup effects designer for over 40 years and I never found anything that worked better on latex.

Two better ways to go. One is rubber cement and rubber cement thinner mixed thin enough to go through and airbrush. Use universal tins to pigment it. Will never rub off or peal ever as it bonds on a molecular level with the rubber. Don Post studios used this for years.
Another paint that is non toxic and water soluble is Burman Industries water based polyurethane primer. This stuff is great although a bit pricey.
https://www.burmanfoam.com/sc-80-flexible-primer-sealer.html
I have worked as a creature maker and special makeup effects designer for over 40 years and I never found anything that worked better on latex.

How toxic is that rubber cement with thinner? (Of course I'd use a dry brush, not air)

Wear a mask. It's pretty toxic. As bad as any rattle can of spray paint. But it doesn't hand paint well.

And I gave you the wrong number for the primer. It's SC-92 water based coating.. It's not on their sight but if you call them, ask for John. Tell him I sent you and he can order it for you over the phone. This you can hand paint but I high recommend you get an airbrush.

Trust me this is the best thing to paint rubber with since rubber cement paint!

Wear a mask. It's pretty toxic. As bad as any rattle can of spray paint. But it doesn't hand paint well.

And I gave you the wrong number for the primer. It's SC-92 water based coating.. It's not on their sight but if you call them, ask for John. Tell him I sent you and he can order it for you over the phone. This you can hand paint but I high recommend you get an airbrush.

Trust me this is the best thing to paint rubber with since rubber cement paint!

oh I do have an Iwata eclipse. It's just the toxicity I'm afraid of. I'm pretty poor too, so I can't really pay an extra forty or so for a resporator. Other than that, I'd try it.

Rubber cement and thinners is how pros did it for years, this is Steve Wangs method. But it's too toxic and flammable for most hobbyists working from their living rooms and bedrooms. Most hobbyists use water based ink with a primer like prosaide. Tim Gore uses his Adhesion Promoter from his Bloodline series of inks for a bond and he's a Pro. You spray the promoter on to the mask, wait for it to go tacky and then paint.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back