Original Robby the Robot and Car being auctioned.

I was going to call BS until I saw it's Malone.

O.M.F.G. Wow. Hope he's okay and not just selling to raise money quickly.

\\ Posted from an iPad Mini kybd — intelligibility is circumstantial //

New photos and Bonhams NY official announcement of the auction was today. Scooped 'em a full day ;) .

Rpbby1.png

RobbyBack.png

RobbyCar.jpg

Certainly history being made with that Auction, harness, packing crates, stand, so much awesome Icons.

Bill's blurb was very cool great of him to finally pass him on to a new caretaker :thumbsup

I just rewatched the "Uncle Simon" Twilight Zone episode a week or so ago, and I'm surprised that head variant still appears to exist too.
Given how long it's been since ownership has changed hands, any estimates on how much this classic will fetch?

Wow that is truly amazing,
I'm well aware from the comments that this is the real deal but does anyone know any more about Robby.
Was there only one for the film, is this all original or does it have any restored pieces...Anyone up on the history of this truly iconic offering?

It is well documented that both of these items were on display at Movieland in California for many years and visitors used to take parts off of Robby and broke a few pieces on him touching him. He was repaired and had parts made and replaced on him by Fred Barton who makes the official replica of him as well as repairing the original Robby again for William Malone years later (as well as the original B-9 for Paul Allen). So some of his parts are replacement parts and some repairs, and a clear display dome for his head, although Malone still owns the original yellowed dome and of course the alternate head.

Also: at least the initial replacements came from production-made stock, as backup pieces were part of the lot Fox auctioned off originally. How long those lasted, and how many parts are now repros, I do not know.

There was only one Robby made for the film, then of course reused repeatedly. 1970s TV appearances (Columbo, Ark II, Charmin commercial) are Fred Barton's first reproduction, as the original was already in the museum by that time.

Thanks SciFiMuseum & Treadwell for the info :)

Very interesting indeed, this guy has got to be the most iconic robot prop of all time.
The only others that could come close are the false Maria (Maschinenmensch) or Gort.
How much do you guys think he will go for?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, Robby is the most iconic robot of all time. I think that William Malone also owned Gort at one time too and had it restored and of course the Maria costume is believed to have been destroyed in the bombings of WWII.

Don't know what the opening bid is yet however I am pretty sure Robby and the car will go well over a million dollars if not several million.

Many of the big media outlets are reporting false information regarding the sale.

While it got an impressive $4.5 million, it didn't break the record for a film item. That appears to still be the white subway dress from The Seven Year Itch as well as a Batman car.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back