Original Robby the Robot and Car being auctioned.

The $5.375M price realized includes the auction house premium and is correct. The MM 7 YEAR dress did do $5.6M. Barris' BATMAN TV car sold in 2013 for $4.62M. I think that makes Robbie the highest price yet paid for a prop.

Robby is a costume, a prop, a set piece, and an actor in his own right! The buyers premium went down to 12.5% when the bidding hit $4,000,001 so the final price with BP is actually $5,062.500

I think your math agrees with the stated terms on the site, but their extensive press release and online results show the higher figure. Also, they claim the world record, but show the Monroe dress without buyers premium while this and the BATMAN car have it tallied.

Thanks for clarifying Rick. I went to the auction results and it does indeed state that, wonder how they came up with that number. Doesn't add up to any of the BP percentages.

It was an impressive price no doubt, and I'm happy for Bill and CeCe, the past owners ;) . It's just funny how Bonhams, The New York Times, Reuters, and others, couldn't bother to spend 5 minutes checking things before publishing. They all have vastly more resources, are "professional" organizations with millions of followers, yet I realized right away the comments all three made/are making were false regarding the subway dress ( and Batman car) as mentioned in my article. Still a great price and exciting ;) .

Robby is a costume, a prop, a set piece, and an actor in his own right! The buyers premium went down to 12.5% when the bidding hit $4,000,001 so the final price with BP is actually $5,062.500

I agree. It's debatable what exactly Robby is. He had an actor in him so maybe he is a plastic and metal costume and prop? ;) . Either way, all of the above mentioned media outlets and Bonhams, specifically mentioned beating the Marilyn Monroe subway dress and the Batmobile which is totally incorrect. Not the end of the world of course, and it's still pretty impressive :) .

Well he was in many film and television productions and has his own IMDB page so he really is an actor. And he is also a costume that had an actor inside as well as being used as a prop and set piece. Truly the most iconic science fiction piece in existence.

I totally agree that the media doesn't do much research and prints what it wants to further whatever point they are trying to make. Many times they will only do a story on an item that went to auction IF it made a large sum of money. That is all that matters to them, how much it made and not what it is or the importance of the item. Stories come up all the time about toys and other collectibles based on what they may have made on a site like ebay.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back