Lets Mod a Black Series Poe Helmet!

signeddiamond

Hey all! So its been out here in the states for less then 72 hours but that does not mean we shouldn't tear it apart and build it up again with details only we notice. Lets dig in!

So the general consensus so far is that this helmet is primarily accurate to the episode 8 version of Poes helmet. Very small differences but hey, I'm posting on the RPF so lets not pretend it does not matter. Lets see some photos.

tumblr_olhxzw14Or1ue779no2_1280.jpgPoe-Dameron-Black-Series-Helmet-2.jpg

Visually they are very close but we are going to be focusing on 3 areas. The mic needs a thinner stem, wire, and a better metallic paint job. That back little fob needs to be detached, real wire replacing the fake plastic, and then rounded off a bit. Then finally the whole thing needs some weathering. All in all this should be a cakewalk (which is why its one of my first posts).

Next post we tear it open and see what is inside.

Ok so lets take a peek.

IMG_2290.JPG

Inside the helmet you will find 22 visible screws but unless you are really interested in removing the top speakers we only need to remove the lower 16. With a bit of wiggling the 2 beige sides just pop right out. Inside and on the right hand side we can see the actual mic, battery compartment, on/ off switch, and the main board. I'm not interested in any of that but I did want to see how the fake mic was attached. Thankfully it is held there by absolutely nothing. Give it a bit of a wiggle and a pull and it pops right out. That should make things much easier.

IMG_2295.JPGIMG_2299.JPGIMG_2305.JPG

On the backside we have the rear speaker that needs to be unscrewed if you want the sides off. Once again we aren't looking to mess with the electronics but right next to the speaker is a little screw that holds the back grommet in place. unscrew it and wiggle it around until it pops off. This may cause an issue. Now there is a extra hole in the back of the helmet that will need to be filled if we want to have a more accurate fob. Also I had anticipated the actual piece would be complete on all sides but unfortunately it seems it will all need to be scrapped.

IMG_2300.JPGIMG_2301.JPGIMG_2306.JPGIMG_2307.JPG

Finally is the left hand side. Over here you can fins the big activation button and a little grey plastic detail that you can see on the outside. This piece may not be entirely screen accurate as the actual prop appears to have it pushed out a bit farther. I'm not going to focus on this part as there really isn't a lot of reference material and the piece appears very firmly clicked in place. Honestly if you wanted you could save some stress on your wrist and not unscrew this panel at all.

IMG_2304.JPG

Next time we fix up that mic. Get your dremels fired up guys!

I was confused a bit at your right and left. :p To be clear, are you treating this WIP as where you're looking at the helmet or wearing it? It seems to be the former, and I'm used to the latter.

That said, I'm popping some popcorn. Do go on... :) :popcorn

--Jonah

Yes...mine is also on the way.Should have it in the middle of next week.:)
It would be nice if somebody could make metal parts for this helmet.
For refenrence you can use the propshop pics.You can find them in very high resolution online.I cannot post the highest resolution because my hosting website don´t support that.

30262743ak.jpg

30262753yw.jpg

30262765nw.jpg

30262786kl.jpg

The TFA helmet is differend. TLJ had a new made helmet which where showed at the SDCC.View attachment 756230View attachment 756231View attachment 756232

yup, there area few differences in the TLJ piece. The visor housing is less pronounced (i actually prefer teh TFA design by a tad), the right cheek greeblies id flatter and recessed into the helmet. The rear greeblie is rectangular instead of cylindrical, Some of the details are less pronounced too. Finally, the knob on the visor housing is a different shape,

Who can make some metal parts for us???

I might be able to help.

I've been producing aluminum parts for TFA Resistance Pilot costumes, as well as several other costume pieces for the Rogue 1. I make the leg flares, rank badges, and ejection seat paddles on The Rebel Legion, as well as metal backpack clips for the Rogue One shore troopers. If anyone wants to check my references, I have the same name under both forums.

These parts definitely look doable.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back