Lets Mod a Black Series Poe Helmet!

I´m also looking for a new accurate padding for my helmet.But I think at the end you must build it yourself.:unsure

Progress so far on my repaint. A light scuff with sand paper then more finer sanding with steel wool. Followed by a burnt umber and carbon black weather with a chip brush and a rag. Then some rub and buff silver on the edges and raised areas. Still more to do, contemplating fixing the mic with an aluminium rod and then respray with chrome. Very pleased so far - not looking for 1 to 1 accuracy, just want it to look real.

Poe_Helmet-1.jpgPoe_Helmet-2.jpg

Hi Strongbow,

Awesome build! Strong work! I am planning on doing the same conversion to my Poe Hasbro helmet. I ordered metal parts and decals from ReelProps. I would love to know what your process was, what paint you used, challenges you faced, etc. I am new to all of this. I *did* purchase an airbrush and compressor (Paasche H single, and a Iwata Revolution CR dual) Do you have a write up on your build?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,
Smart One

Hi Strongbow,

Awesome build! Strong work! I am planning on doing the same conversion to my Poe Hasbro helmet. I ordered metal parts and decals from ReelProps. I would love to know what your process was, what paint you used, challenges you faced, etc. I am new to all of this. I *did* purchase an airbrush and compressor (Paasche H single, and a Iwata Revolution CR dual) Do you have a write up on your build?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,
Smart One

The process was relatively straightforward. I disassembled the helmet. The only tricky bit here is the rear right "data port" greeblie and the right cheek "latch" greeblie. The data port is glued in and you have to break the glue to get it out. The cheek greeblie is held in firmly and there is are two retaining tab in the rear that one of which needs to be removed to get the greeblie out. The rest is straight forward.

I removed the electronics since I am wearing this as a costume piece. Then it's MOSTLY paint. The only physical mods were: Replaced the thick plastic stalk on the mic with a metal rod. Added the black wire after paint. Replaced the rigid plastic wire on the left rear greeblie with thicker black wire (after paint). And I cut up the cheek greeblie and glued it is the holes sitting up slightly proud of the surface (after all the paint. I did glue the two ear cups in place. I used Rustoleum semi-gloss white as the base. I used Rustoleum "ink blue" for the blue areas, Valspar Chrome for the mic, and and vallejo model color paints for the details. I used a black wash on the liner to dirty it up. Weathering is done with needle files, sandpaper, raw umber and burnt umber paint, and fuller's earth.

Here’s mine. Less of a repaint and more of a re-weathering. I just removed the crappy weathering with a paper towel and alcohol then hit it with steel wool and a few dry brush passes of browns and blacks then used a chrome marker on the silver bits.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171005/c2d8f4a5170ca3b78b39e6fea70c7fc1.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171005/6d98a6ef60c2247b4db1ab9d94b216a4.jpg

Looking good, from what I can tell by this pictures.

Did the alcohol affect the plastic in any way? What did you use...thinned down acetone?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey gang!

I just wanted to let you all know that I haven't been idle while working on these parts. I'm waiting on a part for my lathe and then I'll be finishing a few more of the parts that we need.

More updates to come!

View attachment 763597

WANT :cool

Thanks here’s some closer pics. I just used rubbing alcohol being careful not to do too much. Just enough to get rid of the weathering later.
Assuming a light rubbing with minimal alcohol; are you saying that faux painted weathered effects on the item are more susceptible to the alcohol than the other paint details on the helmet? Is there any affects to the bare plastic?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back