How will we feel if Luke Skywalker never sparks a lightsaber in TLJ

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm curious to hear how everyone will feel about this. I'm really looking forward to the film, and although I know that it's Ray's story now and I'm fine with that, I also know that if the lights come back on and I haven't seen Luke spark a lightsaber through the whole thing I'm gonna feel a bit disappointed. And all the promo stuff and toys so far have very pointedly not show Luke's lightsaber. So, where are the rest of you at?

Totally agree but I worry about the choices for his character arc. What if Luke's force ability has surpassed the need for a lightsaber? It may suit the overall story but it won't sit well with the fans.

That would be a very low-SWIQ omission.

They won't dare.

Right?

The Wook

ps~@Bryancd, naw man, that's too long to wait. He doesn't have to go all out with it in VIII, but he needs to fire that baby up at some point in the middle chapter.

That would be a very low-SWIQ omission.

They won't dare.

Right?

The Wook

ps~@Bryancd, naw man, that's too long to wait. He doesn't have to go all out with it in VIII, but he needs to fire that baby up at some point in the middle chapter.

Not if he is struggling with his role in the Jedi Order and it's really dependent on where his character goes and does in this movie and what is set up for IX. It's entirely possible he doesn't leave Ach-to in TLJ and perhaps only really interceded in affairs at the conclusion of IX.

Not if he is struggling with his role in the Jedi Order and it's really dependent on where his character goes and does in this movie and what is set up for IX. It's entirely possible he doesn't leave Ach-to in TLJ and perhaps only really interceded in affairs at the conclusion of IX.

I agree that it would be more climactic to see him use it in battle for the first time in IX. But I maintain that it would be lame if he didn't at least fire it up in VIII. Even if its just when Rey is training him...er, I mean...when he is training Rey. Even if it's just him swinging it around for a few seconds like he did in the Kenobi adobe.

The Wook

I am very worried about how they will handle Luke and his story. I accept that there are new heroes to get behind, but this is Luke!!! He is not a new version of the ANH Kenobi character because this time we know who he is, what he has been through and why he made certain choices. In a way, while he still lives, Lukes existence cannot be skimmed over or under hyped. The writer of this episode must allow for his huge/ meaningful precence (despite his aging heroics) in the story and not foot noted to give currency to the new characters. That would be bad writing. He should play a major role and still be a force for the narrative, not doing this would be to contradict the OT for the sake of easy writing and drama.

It does not need to be him using the lightsaber, but I think the movie needs to show Luke Skywalker show strength as a Jedi somehow.
The audience needs to be shown that he is still strong in the force, that there is still some left of the person that we imagined him to be at the end of ROTJ.

Luke has two films to have a character arc. If he just is awesome and kicks butt that's not an arc and not very interesting. I expect this film to be the one where he struggles the most so he can have his own journey as a character.

I don't know... I think I would be fine with it. If he used some other or maybe even new force powers? But I don't even know how I feel about that

I think Luke isn't wearing his lightsaber anymore because we are going to find out the Jedi way isn't what we all think it to be

I can totally see him wiping out the knights of ren just by using force powers. Force shoves, force freezes, all out mind wipes.

Lightsaber or not I hope by the end of the film Luke goes nasty on someone, hell even a cute porg, take one of those suckers out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke had learned that the Jedi were always the bad guys. he will teach Rey how to use her powers for good before he performs seppuku with his saber. Ok he won't go that far, but I think he is gonna have Rey & kylo join forces with his new found information.

I don't know... I think I would be fine with it. If he used some other or maybe even new force powers? But I don't even know how I feel about that

I think Luke isn't wearing his lightsaber anymore because we are going to find out the Jedi way isn't what we all think it to be

I can totally see him wiping out the knights of ren just by using force powers. Force shoves, force freezes, all out mind wipes.

Lightsaber or not I hope by the end of the film Luke goes nasty on someone, hell even a cute porg, take one of those suckers out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YES ! A total Porg in the microwave effect. It would almost make up for Ewoks ;-) And I totally want to see Luke shove his saber into Kylo's chin and out the top of his ugly head. Watch his eyes pop from the heat . Might need an R rating for Ep. 9, but it would be worth it. I actually liked Vader in Ep. 4-6. He had a cool element that made him hard to hate, but I literally despise Kylo. He is so unlikable, and whiny. Even worse than young Anakin. And I didn't think that was possible. Here's hoping Luke gets to go partial Sith on his narrow backside ;-)

Last edited:
YES ! A total Porg in the microwave effect. It would almost make up for Ewoks ;-) And I totally want to see Luke shove his saber into Kylo's chin and out the top of his ugly head. Watch his eyes pop from the heat . Might need an R rating for Ep. 9, but it would be worth it. I actually liked Vader in Ep. 4-6. He had a cool element that made him hard to hate, but I literally despise Kylo. He is so unlikable, and whiny. Even worse than young Anakin. And I didn't think that was possible. Here's hoping Luke gets to go partial Sith on his narrow backside ;-)

We needed you as the director of this film!

I guess I'll have to wait until I see the film. If the story is better with him not igniting his saber then I'd rather have him not. Boring, but simple answer.

I think it would be a let down. The other bummer is if they do have him fight, but he's still using the beginner dueling from the OT. I don't expect Prequel flashy stuff, but he should be fighting with the same speed. He should just annihilate anyone who tries to fight him. I'd like to see him start with all of those SOLO Cup Guards at once.

Oh I wish I could direct one, but the writing and casting would have to be there as well. Whoever cast that yahoo for Kylo is some yuppy commie, who just luvvvvvs " Girls". Not a good reason to cast him as Han 'freakin' Solo's son. And then have Han go out like a total chump ! I don't like that Harrison Ford so hated Solo that he just couldn't take a few more 20 or 30 million dollar pay checks, but that's his right. But they could have him go out like the hero he was. Hell even Captain Kirk had a more heroic death, and that was a letdown as well. Oh well, I think I'll take Ben Franklins mindset , when it comes to movies. He said you should always keep your expectations low, that way when something good happens, you're twice as happy ;-) That was his opinion on life's events, not movies. I don't think he invented those, LoL. I almost hope Luke goes completely bat crap , dark side. Then we can put the final nail in the whole thing. At least that we be the end of it for me. The prequels almost did it. But I held out hope. Unfortunately, the mindset of these new directors, is the mindset of the modern world. It's all angst and brooding and snowflake crying. It's a different world than the one I grew up in. With hope and optimism and courage. When Lucas had his hands tied by tech and those people around him, his genius could flourish. Thats how we got Ep.4 and 5. Now we have the yuppies that don't have that spark. Oh well let me get back on the porch, so I can yell at those blasted kids to , Get off my lawn ! ;-)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back