Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween (COMPLETE with Vid)

Nismo

This Halloween my 3 year old Daughter picked out what we would be for Halloween-
She will be Rocket, My Wife Gamora and I will be Groot.

So after having done Bumble last year I am tasked once again with a large costume. The thing I learned most about the big costume build last year was, If I don't make it in a way that it can be stored or transported without a truck bed/Large Van then ultimately it will be scrapped and turned back into a pile of foam. So while it was heartbreaking to chop bumble back up into raw material the good news is that about 75% of his harvested foam will live on with Groot. So before I worked myself to the bone on another large costume only to scrap it I laid forth a few rules.

1) Can be stored in my above Garage Attic (All parts can fit thru access opening)
2) Can be broken down in enough parts that it can be transported in my midsized SUV (bumble we literally just had him strapped to the top roof rack and prayed for good weather)
3) More Focus on costume cooling (Last years 2 events in Bumble both days reached high 80's low 90's)
4) Focus on Costume Mobility - ( Since I am going to be on stilts I wanted as much range of motion as possible)
5) Weight - keep it low as possible
6) Durability - make it so that it can last for years and I can wear it many times
7) Re-use as much of the bumble material from last year to help offset cost.

Start -
Head - constructed of 3/8 EVA foam mats (harbor freight)
oTTAcxCl.jpg

Seybw3al.jpg

Went for a little cheerier expression since I will be with my 3 year old
k1cQ0Psl.jpg

All construction done with Razor Blade/ Dremel Tool and glued with Barge Cement

to be continued...

Last edited:
Re: Groot Costume - GOTG Vol.1 (WIP) 2017 Halloween

Legs will be Painter Stilts (16in to 30in) adjustable Aluminum (bought on Amazon)
JlGVyZBl.jpg

I made the foam structure so the leg (skins) will be able to be unbolted from the stilts both for transport and storage.

Base Torso-
3oxB7Ail.jpg

Ace helping out
fWgl2mGl.jpg

Mock up with paper Templates
J9Q0Jb2l.jpg

Pinned foam for Mock up
VHNaxOcl.jpg

qoPh8Z3l.jpg

Using Rare Earth Magnets to my connections between Bicep and Shoulder
7eOjJKMl.jpg

m4tapWul.jpg

Large foam parts are pipe insulation smaller ones are for door and window seals (bought these in 3 different diameters)

more to come..

Carve Torso bark - (recycled Bumble) L200 3/4" Foam
XEaJjIAl.jpg

Height Check 7'-7" (so I can fit in anywhere with a 8ft celing
C89es53l.jpg

Test fit Selfie
K7hc2Obl.jpg

So happy so far feels comfortable - nice cool breeze on my neck and face and mobility feels pretty good- the connected vines with the magnets is a nice effect as well when moving my arms.

to be continued...

Some progress on the legs-
WLLZAqol.jpg

ij4Xxtql.jpg

NOLYkw5l.jpg

Mock up of what I have built so far
TWD0AeBl.jpg

Also built my Arm extensions -
Frame made out of 16ga Aluminum.
Single mechanical Movement
Mini Bungee's for spring back
fingers out of CPVC notched with saw - heated with torch and bent to shape.
finger rings made for 1" PVC and beveled

xVY2SzKl.jpg

4KcafJjl.jpg

MYJnWVKl.jpg

Dude this is so awesome. I love seeing these family costume builds (and reminds me of the failures of my father :D)

Legs done!
piCDhRLl.jpg

v9txt4Ul.jpg

and started on finishing the back.

x8C1t5Jl.jpg

This weekend I am having some friends over and we are going to get 3 coats of Flex Bond on everything completed so far and that can get me started on paint.

Your Groot from GOTG Halloween looks really good. Its showing that how much hard work and dedication you have shown for making your cosplay costume for Halloween.
Much Appreciated!

I hope once your Groot Costume will be completely ready then you will share your images with us too.
I AM GROOOTTT :D

So was horrible about taking pictures this weekend...but still got a few.

Back complete-
TekoQ7xl.jpg

finished his rump as well but forgot to take a pic.

got the fingers done on the hands
7NlGkfJl.jpg

and with the help of some friends we got 3 coats of flexbond on each part and 5 coats on the legs...so probably Tuesday I can start laying some paint.

fQCgCfSl.jpg

PkOABOdl.jpg

I will be using Angelus Leather Paints. Probably going to have to make some custom colors as well as mix in some duller.

HIl0UH7l.jpg

and my Helper is still going strong
mIzXnNhl.jpg

Laying my Base coat down
lDX5Zbtl.jpg

FSY9ijYl.jpg

uHiwKhrl.jpg

Paint goes on great I made a custom color with Taup and Play in the sand with 8% duller to flatten it out a bit.
decided it would be easier to detail paint the vines under the chest bark so the gray area shown is for my glue attachment that I will do after.

Happy with how my carving looks now seeing it all the same color ...

So more to go so stay tuned!

This is already turning out so good. I can’t wait to see where it goes from here!

So finished Basecoat on everything but the arms (have to do those in 2 steps due to moving fingers.

so Right leg
epxdyzJl.jpg

mock up of lower body -the waist is actually just sitting on those thighs so looks a little wonky
f1HVah1l.jpg

Full mock up on the right you can see the painted fingers for the hand. next step on those in the palms/thumbs and arm organics
z711xIxl.jpg

also pre mixed a few colors for the final paint with the duller additive
3uG4kS9l.jpg

Probably do a test fit sometime this week and then go HAM on those arms this weekend.

Test fit
cQ2stp5l.jpg

NfaGnQzl.jpg

Gey0jWTl.jpg

Ud9nz3Hl.jpg

got a few minor tweaks on 1 velcro connection and might add two buckles for the hip/torso connection just to help keep things aligned. overall went as planned. also have a good idea of what parts of me are exposed on the under suit.

good news is the cooling worked well it was 89 when I put it on and after walking around the yard for about 30min I was always comfortable so I am sure I could make it an hour in 90 degree weather easy.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back