Baby Groot

Jesuit24

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm sculpting a lifesize Baby Groot so I thought I'd post updates on it. It's the second sculpture I've ever done, the first being a mogwai from Gremlins (very forgiving since most of it was covered in fur). This time, it's a bit more difficult since it's a lot more detailed. Thankfully, bark isn't that difficult to replicate, but I've been using the Sideshow figure for reference so I'm still going a bit cross-eyed with all the detail. It's taking time, but I've done the front of two legs and started one upper arm.

IMG_6899.JPG

The plan is to cast it in a flexible rubber so he can be poseable, but that all depends on how well the rubber can be painted/washed. I also don't know how feasible it would be to insert a wire skeleton yet (so the poses would stay put), but I can definitely cast him in resin.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent smooshing one side? In doing the front, I've flattened a bit of the back, and I definitely don't want to ruin the front when it comes time to sculpting the back. The sculpt is on a removeable stand but I find it easier to work when it's on it's side. I was wondering whether I should finish the front, stick it in the oven to set the clay and then start work on the back without fear of ruining the front; does that sound like a good idea? Or would I have trouble blending the fresh clay into the hardened clay where the sides meet?

Also, any tips on hands? My results were not great.

No interest? I've done the front half of all the limbs now. Just the torso to go before I decide what to do about the back.

IMG_6900.JPG

Looking good. This is definitely something I would like to tackle, but have no knowledge of. What type of clay are you using?

With the smushing problem...what clay are you using? I have heard some people have used a heat gun with polymer clay so they can work on it, heat the section you have finished so it gets a skin on it, then there is less chance of smushing it when you are working on the other side :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back