Return of the Jedi Luke MOM saber in London exhibit 2017

Thomas J Newton

Hi Everyone, after seeing Anakin Starkiller's mention and photo (on a TFA Luke saber build thread) saying that the actual MOM Luke Jedi saber was at the O2 in London, I managed to get in a visit a couple of days ago before the exhibit finished. I had understood it may be behind perspex/glass but was surprised to find it wasn't! It was actually about an arms distance away, and despite setting off the alarm (plus sneaking a flash for all these pics) I managed to get - in my opinion some pretty decent photos. Having become quite obsessed with this saber and (thanks to RPF members posts for meticulous dimension and details) making my own versions - it was a joy to see this up close (ish). I was quite struck on being able to clearly see into the control box top front gap/ the blue/green of the circuit board material, and the clearly chipped paint on the brass section. The other thing that struck me was the very deep hole into the emitter and nipple (obviously for the rod to insert securely) but pretty deep - at least right into the neck, as most replicas of this only have a shallow hole with the grub screw. As noted it was unfortunately displayed wired into a dummy's hand, a real pity for this marvellous original prop. I am convinced (although no pics came out) that the Vader ROTJ saber was opposite, attached to the belt on the fully dressed Darth Vader costume, but a lot harder to see, and further away. Anyway - hope you all enjoy these - I was lucky they all came out so well in such a darkly lit exhibit (despite security warning me about the flash, and setting off the proximity alarm) - I was determined to try to get some good shots, considering the entry price too! Enjoy.

Attachments

• MOM identities01.jpg
    MOM identities01.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 717
  • MOM identities02.jpg
    MOM identities02.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 768
  • MOM identities03.jpg
    MOM identities03.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 668
  • MOM identities04.jpg
    MOM identities04.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 690
  • MOM identities05.jpg
    MOM identities05.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 802
  • MOM identities06.jpg
    MOM identities06.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 690
  • MOM identities07.jpg
    MOM identities07.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 681
  • MOM identities08.jpg
    MOM identities08.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 680
Last edited:
Don't worry you weren't the only one to set off the alarm...

I was there last Friday and kept setting it off in that section.

Thanks for sharing this pictures. Can someone refresh my memory. The one with the rusty tri ring is the resin on or the aluminum one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clearest shots of that neck color yet! still seems to me the brass rails were replaced or something.... blue card!

Thanks - its definitely the aluminium one. The resin one has the nickel plated shiny tri-ring. Its here below - and has been on display in the UK before I think. You can see the LEDs have been painted and there is no gap underneath the circuit board.

SWexhibitcast.jpg

Looks like whoever has been taking care of it hasnt been doing a good job, lots of paint chips that didnt used to be there ><

not trying to hijack a thread - i tinted my circuit board to match the blue pcb fiberglass! nicksdad sabers have little to no tolerance, which is amazing, but the paint can get too thick.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    534.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1111.JPG
    IMG_1111.JPG
    267.7 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1112.JPG
    IMG_1112.JPG
    519.6 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1115.JPG
    IMG_1115.JPG
    620.6 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_1117.JPG
    IMG_1117.JPG
    785.3 KB · Views: 274
And it looks like that person also glued the railing back on the control box, as they're both more crooked than before.

Looks like whoever has been taking care of it hasnt been doing a good job, lots of paint chips that didnt used to be there ><

MOM Luke opb measure.jpg

Following my earlier pics of the MOM it still bugs me that I wasn't able to just lean over and measure the damn thing! After many hours scouring over the helpful pages on the RPF as far as I know there is still the overall length in question? So tried something basic from on older OPB pic of the MOM with an annoyingly misplaced ruler next to it. I photoshopped a 1 inch marker from the only legible inch mark on the ruler and got a reasonable 11.25". Anyone else tried this or anything more accurate in CAD?

Thanks for the great pictures. Don’t know how I missed this thread but really like the pictures of the Luke Hero prop.

Thanks for putting up those photos! So interesting to see the condition that it's in today. I can't wait to see how Dan's new Hero comes out and put it next to his last V2 run.

You should have reached in and slid the circuit board forward so we can get a really good view of what’s going on inside there.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back