Knightmare Batsuit Build (+ A Budget Friendly DOJ Fabric Technique)

willcar

Hey, everyone! This is my first post & first foray into the world of costume making, and I wanted to show where I am at now on my DOJ Build! The plan, for now, is to do a Knightmare Suit, and with the exception of investments in a great cowl from Artsee1 and a chest piece from "musclesuit" on eBay, everything was made at home so far. (Though the muscle suit would have been fairly easy to make, laziness got in the way of my budget)

Let's start the build with the main reason I wanted to post, an interesting and budget friendly way to achieve a fairly screen accurate DOJ texture and pattern without any special equipment.
The process, while time-consuming, was fairly simple, all I needed was the following:
-1 Light gray cotton t-shirt (next time I may go for a charcoal color)
-10 Iron on fabric transfer sheets
-A few bottles of METALLIC black Puff-Paint
-Emblem (made out of a foam non-slip cabinet liner with "damage" from the edges of an iron)

Using reference pictures, I eyeballed and made the DOJ pattern on a simple drawing program. I then printed this onto the transfer sheets, cut them into the pattern and orientation I needed, then proceeded to iron them on. This worked well, but they can be finicky, so I threw the shirt in the dryer to further set the ink.

Pattern 1.jpg

Then came the puff-painting
pre weather.jpg
Thankfully I only had to do the front of a short sleeve shirt. The effect was interesting, but not exactly what I wanted, so with some gunmetal, metallic blue, silver, and a little gold acrylic, I added more coloring, shading, and weathering. However, this covered the smaller lines of the pattern, which I recolored with a sharpie.
Post weather.jpg

I used only the chest of the muscle suit because the rest was too large for the build. I glued this chest piece to an old compression shirt.
Then, carefully, I glued the fully painted shirt down, making sure to align the center and the chest.
IMG_1739.JPGStep 4.JPG

And here it is, my DOJ Bodysuit (well the top, front part of one)!

FullSizeRender (2).jpgFullSizeRender (4).jpgAB muscle.jpg
I am fairly proud of this, considering that (aside from the muscle suit that I could have easily made myself) this bodysuit cost less than 50$. In the future, I plan to make a full bodysuit, but the Knightmare version allowed for experimentation and some proof of concept, and I'm positive this could be scaled up to a full suit (it would just take more time).
Knightmare.JPG
Oh and here is where the Knightmare suit is at the moment, the jacket is a trench coat from goodwill weathered with spray paint.

Future plans for this build include a more accurate chest symbol (suggestions? and does it matter if it is contoured to a chest shape before gluing?) and I have a plan for some leather and aluminum gauntlets! So that should be fun!
More updates will come as I go, but let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions for my next project!

AB muscle.jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

FullSizeRender (4).jpg

IMG_2086.JPG

Knightmare.JPG

Pattern 1.jpg

Post weather.jpg

pre weather.jpg

Step 4.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1739.JPG

Knightmare.JPG

Step 4.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back