Alexander Payne's Downsizing (Post-release)

Re: Alexander Payne's Downsizing

Besides what looks like a very obvious and simplistic plot. The premise is problematic nonsense. They like to sell the idea that small people's money would go further. Sure....until everyone shrunk. Then who makes that giant bottle of Vodka you bought for $20? No one. Small person would make a small bottle and it would be $20 since it's the same labor to them as a large person making a large bottle. So you're right back where you started.

Honey, I Shrunk The Kids is possibly one of the best illustration of what would really happen to small Humans (besides the Ant friendship) and why this movie is poorly-reasoned. And there are a whole host of other issues about shrinking Humans that make this premise too ridiculous to suspend disbelief.

The cast is bland. Damon is utterly replaceable. Waltz is best directed by Tarantino. Wiig is boring like all modern SNL alumni. And who is Hong Chau?

I will definitely be skipping this one. Not sure I would even bother if it came to Netflix.

"And who is Hong Chau?"

Is knowing who Hong Chau is a requirement to accept that she's in the movie?

This looks like it's meant to be a comedy and a fairy tale that's well aware of how silly the premise is. I guess that's not for everyone. Alexander Payne made one of my favorite movies, "Election," so I'll definitely check this out.

I accept she is in the movie. I saw the billing. I don't know who she is or why she is there besides they cast her to be there. Like the rest of the cast, there is no reason to be excited about this pick.

I'm fine with a fairy tale. But when it is premised from a logical or reasoned idea, that logic and reason should at least be fairly sound.

The fact that I have to google her kind of says the opposite.

But a quick search does turn up a very short movie, a cancelled romcom series, a poorly received HBO series, and a part in 'Inherent Vice' that doesn't get mentioned in reviews. Other than that her resume is peppered with some other TV work, mostly single episode stuff. Which is not a particularly impressive resume, imo.

And, again. I think the whole cast is bland, it's not just this one performer.

The fact that I have to google her kind of says the opposite.

But a quick search does turn up a very short movie, a cancelled romcom series, a poorly received HBO series, and a part in 'Inherent Vice' that doesn't get mentioned in reviews. Other than that her resume is peppered with some other TV work, mostly single episode stuff. Which is not a particularly impressive resume, imo.

And, again. I think the whole cast is bland, it's not just this one performer.

Holy. Did Hong Chau leave you at the alter? Stand you up for prom?

BTW... The idea isn't that everyone is shrunk. Why would everyone? But those who do, yes, their money would go further.

Holy. Did Hong Chau leave you at the alter? Stand you up for prom?

BTW... The idea isn't that everyone is shrunk. Why would everyone? But those who do, yes, their money would go further.

Yes, she did. And she even took my dog......:cry

Now...can you tell me why this actor should have this part or tell me how this cast isn't boring and bland?

And yes, the idea is that all humans get shrunk over a 200 year period. So you didn't even bother to research the whole premise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downsizing_(2017_film)#Premise

And Jay and Mike would probably have a field day asking questions like....
Why don't they look like they are wearing doll clothes?
What happens when a spider gets inside?
How does this help people with no money at all?
Can't a bird just chew through the netting?
Why isn't that boat being affected by ripples?

etc....

Can you tell me what it was like during the casting process? How was the room? How was her reads? How did she play off Damon? You must have been in the room or know these things since you're sure her casting is a non-starter having seen nothing from her role.

Saying Christoph Waltz is only good if directed by Tarantino? WHAT?!

Also, no, I didn't read everything about it... I was basing it on the trailer - I will then watch this FANTASY MOVIE and see how I feel from there.

*having read the premise... proposing a 200 year global transition and it actually working out is different thing.

"Norwegian scientists discover how to shrink humans to 5 inches (13 cm) tall and propose a 200-year global transition from big to small."

I could propose right now the entire world switches to eating only nachos over the next 200 years...

Last edited by a moderator:

Can you tell me what it was like during the casting process? How was the room? How was her reads? How did she play off Damon? You must have been in the room or know these things since you're sure her casting is a non-starter having seen nothing from her role.

Saying Christoph Waltz is only good if directed by Tarantino? WHAT?!

Also, no, I didn't read everything about it... I was basing it on the trailer - I will then watch this FANTASY MOVIE and see how I feel from there.

I can tell you her acting is so impressive that it doesn't get mentioned in any 'Inherent Vice' reviews. And stop acting like I'm attacking this person. This is a small time actress, with an unimpressive career, and a very strange choice for a top-billed part when you have a ton of other Asian female actresses with real "chops" in the industry.

I said Waltz was 'best directed' by Tarantino. I didn't say he would be bad, boring perhaps. But I can think of Green Hornet where he is downright terrible. He is not bulletproof in that regard, no actor is, they all tank every once in awhile. Also, is he gonna carry the whole movie? Pull weight for Wiig and Damon, who are both utterly generic performers?

It's still trying to base itself off a logical and reasoned "economic" premise. Which is a HUGE (I can all cap too) part of this movies trailer. Which is torn down in about 5 seconds.

Fantasy still has to remain consistent and logical unto it's own premise or it's just dippity-doo nonsense. Even in Peter Pan there were rules about how to fly.

I just don't get the spite against a movie you haven't seen... with actors that have proven their worth in other movies... with a premise that at the very least isn't a reboot, remake or sequel.

And see no reason to have any issue with an actress just because you didn't hear anything about her. Maybe she got billing so it's not all white people in the trailer... maybe she has a good agent (my friend's agent got him MY parking spot... :angry Which I still have anger issues about)

This could be the worst movie of the year... but nothing in that trailer leads me to jump to those conclusions... especially not the cast.

But who can know from cast? TPM had Ewan, Liam and Portman... and was complete dog sh$t - racking up maybe the worst roles in each of their long careers.

Anyway... time to clock out... gotta walk 8 blocks to my car now.

I just don't get the spite against a movie you haven't seen... with actors that have proven their worth in other movies... with a premise that at the very least isn't a reboot, remake or sequel.

And see no reason to have any issue with an actress just because you didn't hear anything about her. Maybe she got billing so it's not all white people in the trailer... maybe she has a good agent (my friend's agent got him MY parking spot... :angry Which I still have anger issues about)

This could be the worst movie of the year... but nothing in that trailer leads me to jump to those conclusions... especially not the cast.

But who can know from cast? TPM had Ewan, Liam and Portman... and was complete dog sh$t - racking up maybe the worst roles in each of their long careers.

Anyway... time to clock out... gotta walk 8 blocks to my car now.

I don't have any spite. I just think it's going to be bland and boring. And if I seem overly participatory, it's only because everyone is responding to me here due to the fact that my opinion is highly different than the majority and I feel like responding back. As long as people are polite, then no reason to not let all of us have our opinion positive or negative.

Then that would be tokenism and has nothing to do with her acting skill. As an Asian-American myself, I think she should get the top-bill because she deserves it. And if she doesn't and you need an Asian actor, then get one that does deserve it. I've read multiple reviews that say her role has broken-English caricature jokes, which might explain why other Asian actresses passed on the part. I find that kind of humor a bit offensive, tbh.

I don't know, 8 Emmy wins from 16 nominations in 14 categories sounds pretty well received.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/

1 emmy for sound mixing and 5 nominations in 6 categories. Perhaps you could fill out those other numbers?

Also, the show only got 3 1/2 seasons. Because in reality, most watchers don't care about awards. They only care if the show entertains.

And be honest, did you even know this show existed before looking into her resume? The wildly incorrect award count would seem to indicate that you did not.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279972/

1 emmy for sound mixing and 5 nominations in 6 categories. Perhaps you could fill out those other numbers?

Also, the show only got 3 1/2 seasons. Because in reality, most watchers don't care about awards. They only care if the show entertains.

And be honest, did you even know this show existed before looking into her resume? The wildly incorrect award count would seem to indicate that you did not.

I'll start with the last line first. Yes I did know Treme existed before this thread started, but on the other hand I never watched it. I've actually skipped a lot of HBO series over the years (only so much time in the day).

The discrepancy in the award count would be due to the vagueness of your original comment. I assumed (I know: ass, u, me) you were referring to her more recent HBO credit for Big Little Lies which had a pretty good haul the other night.

I'll start with the last line first. Yes I did know Treme existed before this thread started, but on the other hand I never watched it. I've actually skipped a lot of HBO series over the years (only so much time in the day).

The discrepancy in the award count would be due to the vagueness of your original comment. I assumed (I know: ass, u, me) you were referring to her more recent HBO credit for Big Little Lies which had a pretty good haul the other night.

Her IMDB and wiki both prominently list Treme. Just googling her and listings state Treme (along with Inherent Vice and now Downsizing) in the description without even having to click on any link. Why would I be talking about any other show?

And this is interesting because you brought up awards. Not a single award or nomination is for Hong Chau's contribution on Treme or Big Little Lies.

Somebody has a bug in their behind.

You're right. All the people who are getting upset that someone is criticizing a performer based on their work and accolades. You know, the very things you would actually use to logically discuss and assess their career, instead of emotional appeals or trolling.

**** I'm convinced !
F this movie !
F it right in the A !

My god you should offer your services to the rest of the world .
Solve all the worlds surmounting problems with you're suburb arbitration and what not .

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back