New First Order vehicles revealed

The AT-M6 looks fine, but that new Super Star Destroyer looks SO uninspired. It's just... meh. I want to like it but I just can't.

Can't believe it's just a flying flat piece of pizza, after the elegant designs of the ISD I & II or the sleek Super SD, heck even the ships from the Prequels, we've come to this? Sighs...

We all knew this was coming. The inevitable over comercialization, demastculation, and utter demise of the Star Wars franchise. Even looking at the new characters makes me want to cry. A little hamster flying the Falcon, 2 rat woman dressed in early pioneer garb, and some chic named Rose who looks like the ultimate anti hero. Thanks Kathleen Kenedy and Disney for driving my childhood passion into the ground in a burning heaping pile of nerf garbage and hot wheel cars! :thumbsdown

Man, I just wrote a super long rant about who's really to blame for the decline of the Star Wars franchise, but spared you all by deleting it. This subject makes it too easy to turn friends into adversaries. Don't need it. :cheers

Aah, it's refreshing to see people are actually willing to give things a chance before they've actually errr, watched the film.

Although it's also reassuring that Star Wars fandom hasn't changed in the past 20 years. We sure love to moan.

A little hamster flying the Falcon

I'm pretty sure the Porg won't be piloting the Falcon. I'm guessing it just got in there and is a minor nuisance to Chewie.

Aah, it's refreshing to see people are actually willing to give things a chance before they've actually errr, watched the film.

Although it's also reassuring that Star Wars fandom hasn't changed in the past 20 years. We sure love to moan.

I'm pretty sure the Porg won't be piloting the Falcon. I'm guessing it just got in there and is a minor nuisance to Chewie.
Ok, the hamster flying the Falcon is an exaggeration, but it's to the point of stupid characters. I realize the franchise has always had some silly creatures, but it's more to the point where the franchise is going.

I gave TFA a chance, i didn't say anything about it until now. I've seen it a dozen times, but if your honest with yourself you will admit we got ANH 2 with an orphan on a dessert planet and blowing up a death star. Really, that's the best they can come up with?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Because at this point, the first order seems larger than the empire ever was. They're like this big hyperbole bad guy.

It made sense for the empire to control all production and the banks. They were like north Korea.

But the first order should be more like Isis. They're on the fringe. They aren't able to build a death star. That's ridiculous.
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok, the hamster flying the Falcon is an exaggeration, but it's to the point of stupid characters. I realize the franchise has always had some silly creatures, but it's more to the point where the franchise is going.

I gave TFA a chance, i didn't say anything about it until now. I've seen it a dozen times, but if your honest with yourself you will admit we got ANH 2 with an orphan on a dessert planet and blowing up a death star. Really, that's the best they can come up with?

yeah I do think TFA was pretty unoriginal in some aspects. Although I do think it was done on purpose to get new generations into what SW was originally all about. Whether it was the right call is obviously a matter of pretty divided opinion, but the film was very well received in general. The Starkiller base was where I completely agree with you. I really think that was lazy, lazy.

I have a lot of faith in Rían Johnson to deliver something with a lot more substance and originality though. I'm really, really looking forward to what he's come up with for The Last Jedi. I guess I'm an optimist when it comes to these things, especially after I was sorely disappointed with the prequels after having waited so long for them. Many of the concepts were great but the execution was sorely lacking in my personal opinion. And it's funny because I remember at the time, so many saying that those films had killed Star Wars for them (which I also thought was an overreaction- we'll always have the OT). I could really go on and on about my thoughts on this, but I just feel like if George trusted KK to take over LF, then I also trust her until she proves me wrong. I very much liked Rogue One (more than TFA) and it wasn't exactly a safe direction they went in either. And it's still LucasFilm who make these films so I don't agree with the whole idea that Disney is ruining the franchise. It's like politics though, people have strong feelings about these movies and no one can tell another how they should feel about them. It is what it is. I'm just happy that LF is still committed to making new, quality Star Wars films. In my opinion.

But the first order should be more like Isis. They're on the fringe. They aren't able to build a death star. That's ridiculous.

The ancilliary books that have been coming out, filling in the gaps have helped to explain how the first order has come to be and how they've been getting support from certain factions in government etc. All under the radar until they were ready to announce themselves. All has not been explained yet, but we do have glimpses into their existence.

The ancilliary books that have been coming out, filling in the gaps have helped to explain how the first order has come to be and how they've been getting support from certain factions in government etc. All under the radar until they were ready to announce themselves. All has not been explained yet, but we do have glimpses into their existence.
Call me a prequel fan boy, but that is the kind of world building I want to see. I wanted TFA to start off with han on the bridge of a star destroyer. I wanted to see some order 66 style seige where him and chewie run down to some hangar where the falcon has been sitting, unused for 30 years. I wanted to see them flee as the first order rises up around them.

Call me a prequel fan boy, but that is the kind of world building I want to see. I wanted TFA to start off with han on the bridge of a star destroyer. I wanted to see some order 66 style seige where him and chewie run down to some hangar where the falcon has been sitting, unused for 30 years. I wanted to see them flee as the first order rises up around them.

I get you, really i do. They took more of the OT tact with TFA where they hinted at things without explaining a heck of a lot. When the OT was all there was, nobody really knew anything about the Emperor for example. Or the clone wars. Just things that were briefly mentioned and left unexplored. Unfortunately these movies were never going to satisfy everyone's head canon so inevitably there was going to be disappointment from many. Like I said before, it is what it is and I'm just happy that I've been enjoying the new stuff.

Thank goodness for Rogue 1. Then again I could care less that they all died in the end. Gyn and Casian's characters were soooooo unlikable! It's sad that the one you end up caring most about is a droid. The U-wing was awesome! It looked like some real thought went into it. Loved Two Tubes and Saw Gerrera. They were actually interesting characters that left you wanting to know more about.

TFA was feature-length apology for the prequels. I'm not judging Disney's willingness to take risks in the future based on that. They had just dropped a buttload of money on a franchise that had delivered 3 disappointing movies in a row.

Last edited:
And THAT is what, to me, makes TFA the most disappointing movie of all. Because it wasn't a movie. As you correctly point out, it was first and foremost a BS statement pandering to upset fans. It takes no balls or creativity whatsoever to just copy the stuff everyone loved from earlier movies. And it's even more BS for one artist to "apologize" for the original artist that 1) had taken all the risks to create the damn franchise in the first place ("Hey, thank you for your life's work, now let me $--- all over you.") and 2) was trying to push it into uncharted waters with every film. To me, the analogy would be if the Beatles made three disappointing albums in a row and the fans all got so upset that eventually John, Paul, George, and Ringo all quit in disgust and then four NEW guys started calling themselves "The Beatles" playing virtually identical songs as the old stuff and all those fans cheered, "Finally, we're getting REAL Beatles music!" To me, that isn't art. It isn't brave. It's the exact opposite.

To me, Teddy Roosevelt's famous "Man in the Arena" quote says it all:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

See? Now here I am making enemies again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have high hopes for TLJ. I want it to rock, but I want it to play a new tune, not just cover the old hits.

I do genuinely have faith in Rían Johnson to deliver something more unique and new. It still has to feel like Star Wars though so it's a fine line. We've barely seen anything from the teaser so far though, and folks are already deciding it's going to be awful. Based on what, I have no clue but as I said previously, the SW fandom sure loves a good moan. If you go into something convinced that you're going to hate it, it just becomes a self perpetuating thing.

I'm not judging Disney's willingness to take risks in the future based on that. They had just dropped a buttload of money on a franchise that had delivered 3 disappointing movies in a row.

Yep.

And THAT is what, to me, makes TFA the most disappointing movie of all. Because it wasn't a movie. As you correctly point out, it was first and foremost a BS statement pandering to upset fans. It takes no balls or creativity whatsoever to just copy the stuff everyone loved from earlier movies. And it's even more BS for one artist to "apologize" for the original artist that 1) had taken all the risks to create the damn franchise in the first place ("Hey, thank you for your life's work, now let me $--- all over you.") and 2) was trying to push it into uncharted waters with every film. To me, the analogy would be if the Beatles made three disappointing albums in a row and the fans all got so upset that eventually John, Paul, George, and Ringo all quit in disgust and then four NEW guys started calling themselves "The Beatles" playing virtually identical songs as the old stuff and all those fans cheered, "Finally, we're getting REAL Beatles music!" To me, that isn't art. It isn't brave. It's the exact opposite.

To me, Teddy Roosevelt's famous "Man in the Arena" quote says it all:
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

See? Now here I am making enemies again.
It's even worse than just playing older Beatles music. It's as if this "new" Beatles were just releasing re-recorded unused demos that the original guys made.

The whole mcquarrie obsession is driving me crazy.

The only thing that made the audience gasp in TFA was the powdered bread.

I will give them credit for the new trooper designs in rogue one. And after a while I warmed to the U-wing. (But the wings could be shorter)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back