Custom Cortana statue WIP

jusdrewit

Sr Member
(Made this thread on another forum, but thought I would share. Have condensed my posts into one thread.)

Hope this is the right forum! This is my first ever custom statue attempt (although I have done a few NFL Mcfarlane custom player conversions recently) and this is my WIP so far.

I've always wanted a good quality Cortana statue, unfortunately ever since the Sideshow one got cancelled there haven't been any. The WETA statue is very nice (and expensive) and has a good concept, but I don't like the figure, it's not detailed enough for me, the face, etc etc. Anyways, after watching tons of Vincevellcustoms on youtube I finally got inspired to try my own and convert a statue and customize it into Cortana. After scouring the internet for a possible candidate I found one in a Captain Marvel statue that had the right look and pose for Cortana.

My first step was removing the red sash she had around her waist which cut nicely, however she had a groove around her waist that I would have to fill in later and sand down smooth. Next I trimmed her hair down, as I will sculpt my own hair. Since Cap. Marvel had gloves with indentations and boots. I spent considerable time carving and sanding so it was flush with her skin but even then I'll have to fill in the seams with Aves.

After many weeks of sanding, I had her primed, but I saw imperfections, so I will probably sand it more again and then prime the areas I sanded. Once the body is fully primed and perfected to my satisfaction, I will begin tackling the base color schemes + intricate patterns and eventually a better base (I'm really liking the gloved concept of the Weta design).

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
(Part 2)

Being decent in Adobe Illustrator my plan is to create the intricate designs for Cortana on Illustrator and print them as decals in several patterns, which i think will be very time consuming. I've been working on this for months as I'm by no means a pro and learning on the fly. I realize I jumped into the deep into in terms of difficulty but it was something I've always wanted.

I then sanded the body more, primed it again and sanded again. Added some Aves for her hair but wanted more defined strands, so sanded it down and added another layer of Aves and made straighter lines while it was still soft. I'm still refining the hair as sculpting hair is quite difficult I've discovered.

Got in some work in AI for the eventual decals. Using lots of reference, very rough still. Also plan another lighter layer of decals for more 'circuit board' imagery she has.

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg17.jpg16.jpg18.jpg19.jpg

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 332
(Part 3)

Finally got around to dusting off my Badger 150 airbrush, and trying some airbrush affects. Finally applying decals to her. Still heavy WIP and still need to clean up decals I messed up on, and add more blue paints to make decals blend better. Leaving face till last.

Life's been busy, but here's a few more updates on Cortana. I'm pretty close to being done with her, my next step is to create the base which will be MC's hand. The plaque was created by an awesome guy on Facebook named Prop Plaques who worked with me on my specific requests and created it out of brushed aluminum.

20.jpg21.jpg22.jpeg22.jpg23.jpg24.jpg25.jpg26.jpg27.jpg28.jpg

Last update - I've purchased some dirt bike gloves, and need to figure out how to fill them with a sturdy rigid material that will support Cortana. Debating if clay, or papermache, or something else would work. I'll definitely need a wire support structure inside the glove, but just need to research it more. Thanks for watching!

Wow this custom Cortana is awesome! great job! I also have been trying to make a custom Cortana since the cancellation of the sideshow version. I am using a 1/6 silicone action figure body. I was wondering how you applied her body art? Did you print out water decals or paint it on? Trying to find a pic of just the Dark blue body art to use. Have searched the web with no luck yet.

Wow this custom Cortana is awesome! great job! I also have been trying to make a custom Cortana since the cancellation of the sideshow version. I am using a 1/6 silicone action figure body. I was wondering how you applied her body art? Did you print out water decals or paint it on? Trying to find a pic of just the Dark blue body art to use. Have searched the web with no luck yet.
Thanks Puddle! I actually created her body art on the computer in Adobe Illustrator, I believe one of my posts further up shows a pic of them on the computer when I was creating them. I then printed it out on waterslide decal paper and applied them to her. Hope that helps!

Great job! I loved it!
Thank you Skott!

That looks great, a wonderful conversion!
Thank you Good Samaritan!

Little update, I've worked on the gloved hand of Master Chief a little bit, once I get a little bit further, i will update this thread with more pics. Thanks everyone!

Wow can't believe it's coming on two years since I made this thread. I tried making the base the Master Chief's glove cradling the chip with Cortana in the middle of it, but wasn't happy with my results. I ended up just sculpting some clay to look like a rocky base with the chip resting in it. I then primed it and weathered it till I was satisfied. One day I might come back to the base but for now I'm happy with it.
20200323_135347.jpg20200323_135513.jpg20200323_135603.jpg20200323_135813.jpg20200323_135922.jpg20200323_140117.jpg20200323_140338.jpg20200323_140429.jpg20200323_135304.jpg

Well, pretty much finished! I finally added the plaque to the base, so everything is one nice piece. I also added a tiny light that shines up at Cortana as well illuminating her. Unfortunately it doesn't show very well here or during the day, and my darkroom photography isn't good at all. One day I hope to get good photos of it shining, as it look's pretty neat and may add one more tiny light coming through the chip, but for now it's complete!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 275
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    780.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    691.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    928.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 115
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back