SpaceX Spacesuit

If my memory is correct, Musk commissioned Ironhead Studios (google them to see their film costume design pedigree) to design the appearance of the suit.

I'm more interested in how it functions. How is it so thin that it hands double vacuum but is insulated enough to keep the wearer from freezing in space?

I'm more interested in how it functions. How is it so thin that it hands double vacuum but is insulated enough to keep the wearer from freezing in space?

Because it is not a space suit, it is a pressure suit to be worn in the spacecraft in the event of decompression. In the spacecraft freezing shouldn't a problem, but getting rid of the excess heat might.

That being said. When function follows form, function generally suffers.

David.

Ill probably tackle it at some point, but I need a better idea what is going on with the helmet, mainly if it follows the wearers head like a mercury or Gemini suit or if the head rotates in it like Apollo.

Since I don't see a neck ring I am assuming it is the later which makes the costume aspect a little more challenging.

I'm definitely interested. Been looking for places to start, pants or jacket or helmet. What type of fabric is it likely made from? Possibly Cordura nylon or some teflon coated beta cloth. If its just a prototype, then could only be a shell of the suit. Seems like a fun project to me!

https%3A%2F%2Fblueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fuploads%2Fstory%2Fthumbnail%2F68472%2Fc1b36458-c6ee-436f-abf0-581b4ed58860.png

48F5128F00000578-5361789-image-a-18_1517996518197.jpg

Seriously incredible views from the car! Once I get the suit made, I just have to find a cherry red Tesla to drive around in.

After looking for images, I found three versions of the suit. Maybe at different stages of development.
The helmet has a couple different styles too. But its clear from Starman in the car which one to go with.

I've always been just outside the hobby. Propmaking, trooping, cosplay, etc, without ever really engaging in it. I've watched videos, gone to cons, I have a 3D printer in a box in my garage. But this suit is the first thing that's really motivating me to give it a go. I've been a SpaceX fan since the first Falcon 1 'Launch' out of the Marshall Islands. And I hope to see them on Mars someday. Please keep us updated on any progress made on a replica suit. And Imgill, I want one of those visors!

Great pictures but I can't tell if it is a functional Spacesuit? There doesn't appear be any of the standard access ports, or life-support equipment. Even a pressure suit requires air-hoses to work.

On the third picture there is a caption. "
Behind this little plastic patch houses the connection for life support. Crazy how slim and discreet it is. There may be more to it when it’s operational, though I didn’t get a chance to figure that out."
I guess this is still maybe a prototype or test version.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back