Joker (origin film)

Re: The Joker (origin film)

Interesting Jered Leto will not be reprising the role.

I didn't hate Let's performance like some but didn't love it either. Still thought his Joker was interesting in context of the Suicide Squad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Interesting. A side line of films, using different actors to put different spins on the characters. Also known as “how can we try to fix all our misfires so far without LOOKING like we’re trying to fix all our misfires so far?”

M
Not untrue :)

With comic book movies, different actors in a role or reboot is sometimes par for the course. Much like the source comic books themselves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As a Joker fan, I will take anything I can get. I understand the mystery behind the Joker's past but they have potential to make an excellent gritty crime movie. As always I'm not one to poo poo a film before it comes out let alone before a script is written. I'll remain optimistic

What's with all of the origin stories? I don't need to know that the Joker was poor misunderstood little boy that no one liked and picked on which explains why he turned out the way he did. I think it takes away from the character that we know now.

Add me to the list of folks who didn't hate Leto. It was a different take, and I salute them for avoiding copying Nicholson, Ledger, or Hamill.

I don't necessarily need or want an origin story (Killing Joke was as good an origin as any.) But I'm not going to make any blanket statements about a film that doesn't even have a cast yet.

From what I understand, Leto is not out. He's still expected to show in Gotham City Sirens and potentially The Batman, this new film will go for a younger actor to portray his origin/early career. I'm confused by the label though, is it an elsewhere story ? Canon ? And the 80s doesn't sound right, that's even before Affleck started his career, which was somewhere in the 90s I reckon. Or Leto's Joker is older than he looks, and/or ages slower...
But I'm not a fan of having the Joker poping up before Batman. I like the idea of escalation. Gotham was ridden by gangsters and low lifes before, which is what motivated Bruce, but after he got in the game, the crazies started to show up.
He, weird. I like elsewhere stories, but it's going to be hella confusing to the GA if they go down that road...

If ever there was a character in fiction that didn't need an origin story, its the Joker. I'd be fine with an Elseworlds story (Gotham by Gaslight?) or something that is totally removed from the current DCEU, but if its going to be 80s or something like that...why? Seems like another misstep by DC\WB.

If the story and the casting is solid, why not. What's wrong with a 90 + min plunge into the depths of depravity and insanity.
I'd like Adrien Brody to take a crack at the character. Think he'd absolutely nail it.

From what I understand, Leto is not out. He's still expected to show in Gotham City Sirens and potentially The Batman, this new film will go for a younger actor to portray his origin/early career. I'm confused by the label though, is it an elsewhere story ? Canon ? And the 80s doesn't sound right, that's even before Affleck started his career, which was somewhere in the 90s I reckon. Or Leto's Joker is older than he looks, and/or ages slower...
But I'm not a fan of having the Joker poping up before Batman. I like the idea of escalation. Gotham was ridden by gangsters and low lifes before, which is what motivated Bruce, but after he got in the game, the crazies started to show up.
He, weird. I like elsewhere stories, but it's going to be hella confusing to the GA if they go down that road...

I'm confused as well. Their description isn't very clear but hopefully they explain this "canon" but elseworlds story/universe in the coming months. I agree that is doesnt necessarily have to be an origin story. I would be perfectly happy with seeing the Joker early on as the clown prince of crime but again I'll take what we can get!

The Killing Joke has been the go-to standard since the eighties and we just had the animated film released not too long ago.
I assume this would be a totally new origin of course.
If Batfleck is in it then they are making a huge mistake for me I'll say that right now.

Scorsese?

"You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good joker. He's one of us." You understand? "

if a series of Elseworlds films gets me a 1930s set Superman Movie I'm all for it.

I absolutely love everything 80's from the music to the fashion so that news only sweetened it for me.

Joker-Dreams.jpg

I appreciate that the obvious response here is that "he doesn't have an origin" - but he does. He has several. The beauty of the character is that it doesn't have to stick. The beauty of comic book characters being the modern myths that we enjoy is that different artists and creatives take cracks at them over and over, and we get fantastic, unique stories as results.

It's easy to decry and call foul based on ONE piece of news about this, but a lot of people would find their lives richer by taking a step to consider being open about something. We know nothing about the specific vision this might take - setting doesnt = vision.

I could see something unique coming out of this. Memento with a young, broken Joker and his journey to becoming the titanic lord of chaos he is. Fractured narratives, unreliable storytelling. Creepy, funny, dangerous. Could be absolutely awesome.

In no way, shape or form could this "ruin" any character. Not possible.

This article aligns closely with how I thought about it when I heard. http://screenrant.com/joker-origin-movie-dceu-good-idea/ - I don't generally rate Screen Rant that well, but a few of their writers have some great takes on all this stuff.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back