Joker (origin film)

Re: The Joker (origin film)

From what I understand, Leto is not out. He's still expected to show in Gotham City Sirens and potentially The Batman, this new film will go for a younger actor to portray his origin/early career. I'm confused by the label though, is it an elsewhere story ? Canon ? And the 80s doesn't sound right, that's even before Affleck started his career, which was somewhere in the 90s I reckon. Or Leto's Joker is older than he looks, and/or ages slower...
But I'm not a fan of having the Joker poping up before Batman. I like the idea of escalation. Gotham was ridden by gangsters and low lifes before, which is what motivated Bruce, but after he got in the game, the crazies started to show up.
He, weird. I like elsewhere stories, but it's going to be hella confusing to the GA if they go down that road...

The article i read this morning said flatly he wouldn't be the joker in this, but would be in the Harley Quinn stand alone and another flick (can't recall if that was batman or JL).

Leto remains in the present day in SS2 and Sirens. I'd like an 80's noir film, but 20 years before BvS is what, mid90's? Several origin stories would definitely be cool to see... say Joker has many personlites, each with their own life and story, then the chemicals blend them into one and it would be a literal explanation to having a multiple choice history, and add to his unpredictability because we don't know which mind is controlling the body

The only way I could possibly see a Joker origin story working is if at the end, we all realize that it very well could be fake because the Joker himself is the very definition of an unreliable narrator. Even Joker himself told an origin story about being a failed standup comic and admitted that it might be fake because even he doesn't really know.

To quote him in The Killing Joke: "Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another ... if I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

From what I understand, Leto is not out. He's still expected to show in Gotham City Sirens and potentially The Batman, this new film will go for a younger actor to portray his origin/early career. I'm confused by the label though, is it an elsewhere story ? Canon ? And the 80s doesn't sound right, that's even before Affleck started his career, which was somewhere in the 90s I reckon. Or Leto's Joker is older than he looks, and/or ages slower...
But I'm not a fan of having the Joker poping up before Batman. I like the idea of escalation. Gotham was ridden by gangsters and low lifes before, which is what motivated Bruce, but after he got in the game, the crazies started to show up.
He, weird. I like elsewhere stories, but it's going to be hella confusing to the GA if they go down that road...

A spinn off focused on the Joker is interesting.
They can make a movie unconnected of Batman. There are many things to tell about Mister J.
But I don't want Leto ! In Suicid Squad, he's just a caricature.
I hate Warner, David Ayer had a first script perfect and Warner ordered to reshoot

The only thing interesting in this movie, it's Harley Queen. I watched SQ just for her

This actor is awesome: slink.jpg

(Colin Cunningham aka Slink in Tv Show Blood Drive)

He could be perfect

Last edited:

Batman 1989 explained the Joker which was great for the time but as a more, certainly not mature... but.... guess seasoned viewer, prefer to think that the Joker just is.
He is not a logical character and I really don't want to see him defined.
To be honest if you are capable of understanding the Joker, are you not just as off base as he is?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"

Why do they think we need a Joker film?
Why do we need a back story? So we can better appreciate his motives and internal struggles in the future?
Are you kidding?

The Joker is effective because his twisted logics are a complete foil to Batman's tools of logic and psychology. Batman's greatest assets are confounded by someone whose motives and mentality can't be defined.
The Joker is at his best when he's undefinable.

This is probably the same think tank who conceived of having tattoos all over The Joker probably believing it would make him more intimidating. That's 5th grade logic right there.

God, please no Joker origin story. Don't undermine this character's potential by stuffing him into an archetype (e.g. a supergenius who goes mad)

Last edited:

Batman 1989 explained the Joker which was great for the time but as a more, certainly not mature... but.... guess seasoned viewer, prefer to think that the Joker just is.
To be honest if you are capable of understanding the Joker, are you not just as off base as he is?

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"

The Joker just is. Exactly what I was going to say. Joker is Joker. Dark Knight Returns some it up perfectly, Joker in Arkham, Batman retired and Joker is in a permanent catatonic state. Until he hears of Batman's return, "Batman, darling" and bang. He's back.

I care not for the man prior to Joker, only for the persona of Joker that is activated or aggravated by Batman. Joker should certainly not exist prior to Batman.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan?
"

Heath Ledger power, I love you lol

Each character has a story...It's my opinion

OMG, I got an idea ! Just to watch Gotham (tv show) to know the origins of Mister J :lol

Best joke to play on us is that this turns out to be a doc about Joker's history and how he has evolved throughout the years :lol

What really makes the Joker interesting is he's a complete mystery. The audience knows nothing about him other than he's a complete twisted psychopath. Giving him a real and set origin story will destroy this.

What really makes the Joker interesting is he's a complete mystery. The audience knows nothing about him other than he's a complete twisted psychopath. Giving him a real and set origin story will destroy this.

I don't see anything wrong with an "elseworlds" story. Its just a different take on the character.

Something I've always wondered about the Joker; how does one go about wiping all information of their former existence from the earth? This guy wasn't born the Joker was he? He had to grow up somewhere. Did he never go to school, have a social security card, drivers license, go to the doctor, have a credit card, anything like that before he became the Joker?

Would it be actually possible to go completely off the grid like that?

Something I've always wondered about the Joker; how does one go about wiping all information of their former existence from the earth? This guy wasn't born the Joker was he? He had to grow up somewhere. Did he never go to school, have a social security card, drivers license, go to the doctor, have a credit card, anything like that before he became the Joker?

Would it be actually possible to go completely off the grid like that?
I think the more that's unanswered, the better. You want to think that it's impossible for someone like this to exist. Every paradox makes it more plausible that The Joker could make someone question their own sanity. Maybe The Joker was born, raised and somehow educated "off the grid." Maybe he scarred his fingertips to get rid of fingerprints and replaced his teeth privately so there could be no dental records. Maybe he's more than one person. Maybe he's not human. He's more powerful when he's a paradox.

Okay, I can deal with that. I enjoy the mystery, too.

But still, would it be possible for someone to do that? Forget about the Joker for a second, what about anyone else? Do you think it could be done? Barring someone being born into oblivion like that. Could someone like you or I ever find a way to completely erase all evidence of our existence?

:facepalm

The Joker Movie: Warner Bros. Wants Class, Cachet and Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio
[/h]http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/leonardo-dicaprio-joker-movie-warner-bros-wants-actor-role-1034392

Last edited by a moderator:

So is WB just shooting from the hip on this? I feel like theyre just throwing out a ton of ideas/possibilities and seeing what sticks

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back