Alien doll project

Kac1873

Hello everyone, just joined the forum and I'm looking for a little guidance. I've been wanting the same alien prop for a long time, mostly for a joke to put in the passenger seat of my car at car shows but there is really only one that has caught my eye. These specific alien props were use on the set of the x-files. Now they are collectors items and have not been standing up to the test of time very well. They are very expensive on ebay and such other places due to the collectors aspect and I'd like to try and make one of my own, to try and duplicate it if you will. I posted some images for you all to see, supposedly it is a foam filled latex doll. It does have poseable arms and legs, these dolls are about 3.5 feet tall from what I have seen. but I'd also like to make mine 360 degrees, these are flat backed. Some of my concerns are, what makes this poseable? I'm guessing there is some wire inside the foam but what keeps this from popping through the foam when you bend it? Also, where do I find these materials and how can I accurately duplicate the mold? I want to get some basis on where to start my research and honestly I just can't find anything accurate enough that relates to this type of project, thank you very much for the help.

zmKlmEr.jpg

Animators use internal 'skeletons' called armatures to pose their models, I assume this could be something similar. It could also just be copper or aluminium wire that's protected with a sheath of tape or something.

I've never done any sculpting/moulding, but others here can probably help with that. Maybe you sculpt the figure, create a mould, then align your armature inside it and pour latex over the top?

I was assuming it was something along those lines. I will continue to do more research I'm just lost, I'll look into mould making right now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back