How to get Batman Cowl to fit a Huge Head?

Castor Dioscuri

So I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I have a coofunkcurly Bale Dark Knight cowl that I bought several years ago, thinking that I could get it to fit my 23.75" head. Unfortunately, it fit so tightly that I could barely open my eyes since ky face was pressed so tight against it (imagine a meat grinder). Even when I found a weird compromise by stuffing it full of balled up tissue so that the mask was pushed away from my face, I would be left with a killer migraine after five minutes.

I ended up making it work, but badly butchering the mask by essentially cutting out the entire back portion of the cowl, but this looked terrible as it exposed the balaclava when viewed from behind. I still had to use balled up tissue, but at least I didn't get migraines.

This month, I purchased a second cowl, coofunkcurly's DoJ Affleck cowl, since it was reported to be on the bigger side thanks to Affleck's bigger head, and some folks clamored for a smaller version of that cowl. I completely blame myself for neglecting to read the fineprint that it was to fit up to a size 24 head, just like the Bale cowl, but now it gives me the exact same issues.

Now this is not meant as an attack on anyone other than my stupidly big head, but I haven't found any threads addressing what to do when a cowl is too small. Many threads on cowls being too big, but none for a tight cowl.

With that said, am I alone here? Does anyone know of a solution without butchering another cowl? Or is my best bet simply a bigger cowl (which are in short supply)?

My initial thought would be to add a strip of foam in the middle of the mask,since most masks are split in two halves anyway with magnets to reconnect them.
If this is not an option,I would just make the cowl myself and give it the right dimensions in Pepakura Designer.
I hope you can solve this issue

Get your head to go on a diet or get a lobotomy are two options that immediately come to mind.

I would get it to go on a diet, but there's too much useless information out there that needs digesting!

But seriously though, I guess what I'm trying to ask is if anyone in a similar position has managed to find something that works? Like scrapping out the inner layer or polyurethane, or strategic gills? Anything so I don't butcher another cowl...

My initial thought would be to add a strip of foam in the middle of the mask,since most masks are split in two halves anyway with magnets to reconnect them.
If this is not an option,I would just make the cowl myself and give it the right dimensions in Pepakura Designer.
I hope you can solve this issue

Thank you, I really appreciate the suggestions! I might give foam a shot, but I do have to read up on the Pepakura designer since that seems to be a popular solution!

I suggested Pepakura,because it gives you the means and freedom to create and in that sense control what you wish to create and wear.If you buy someone else's creation,you become dependent,you might end up with something that doesn't fit,doesn't feel like 'you(rs)',or gives you less satisfaction because you didn't have any input/didn't make it yourself.
I use the program because I want to create my own stuff.It's very rewarding and entertaining to see whatever you are trying to create take shape before your very eyes and become tangible.

As far as I know there is no way to make a tight fitting urethane cowl fit in a more comfortable way without actually making it larger - such as cutting a slit into it similar to what it sounds like you did with your first DK. All you can do really is either make your own like has been suggested, or find a maker who produces them in a size that fits you.

You can always ask a maker to cast it thinner but then you run the risk of the material tearing.

Not much you can do to squeeze into something that is too small. But if you end up wanting to try a different cowl, I sell a custom Hybrid that is sized for a 24" head but actually fits a bit larger due to the fact that I had long hair when I designed it so there is extra room in the back, which would probably be beneficial to you as it seems to have been an issue for you on your previous ones.

Not much you can do to squeeze into something that is too small. But if you end up wanting to try a different cowl, I sell a custom Hybrid that is sized for a 24" head but actually fits a bit larger due to the fact that I had long hair when I designed it so there is extra room in the back, which would probably be beneficial to you as it seems to have been an issue for you on your previous ones.

Can you make a cowl to fit larger size, or are they all 24"?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back