Zvezda Avenger-Class ISD-II - WIP

Hey, Invar...
are the kids keeping you from the modeling table again?
Life is keeping me busy with everything but what I wanted to make major strides with. I even have a SDCC B-Wing that will likely sit in it's box gathering dust for a time before I get to it.

In the meantime here's a few pics of the greeblie hell I am buried in: doing the wedding cake portion of the ship.

CakePort1.jpegCakePort2.jpegCakeStbda.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow !... your attention to replicating such detail is truly impressive :eek.
Are you preparing/ cutting the styrene pieces freehand or using some form of cutting apparatus i.e. NWSL Chopper ?... perhaps a combination ?

:cheersGed

Good Lord man...I knew you were serious but OMG! More images to save for if/when I ever do another one of these. That looks absolutely fantastic, but I know there has to be a 12 dollar word for what I'm seeing, just can't think of it right now. Well my friend, you've proven that perfection can't be rushed. I've never seen anything like it nor anyone so dedicated. I admire you for it :thumbsup
Life is keeping me busy with everything but what I wanted to make major strides with. I even have a SDCC B-Wing that will likely sit in it's box gathering dust for a time before I get to it.

In the meantime here's a few pics of the greeblie hell I am buried in: doing the wedding cake portion of the ship.

View attachment 838833View attachment 838832View attachment 838834

- - - Updated - - -

The guy is a mad genius, ain't he Ged? :thumbsup
Are you preparing/ cutting the styrene pieces freehand or using some form of cutting apparatus i.e. NWSL Chopper ?... perhaps a combination ?

Hey Invar, you wouldn't want to scratch build me a couple of neck side walls, would you? ;)

Really neat work. You guys are crazy, in the finest tradition of the RPF.

Hi Invar, The time and effort is just amazing on the work you are doing with your SD. You have packed a lot of detail in those tight spaces and it looks fantastic!!!! Can't wait to see this finished.

View attachment 838833View attachment 838832View attachment 838834

Escape...and where have you been? I rattled Invar's cage and you were next :lol
Hi Invar, The time and effort is just amazing on the work you are doing with your SD. You have packed a lot of detail in those tight spaces and it looks fantastic!!!! Can't wait to see this finished.

Your always give me a good laugh......I'm here....... I have to update the BSG build.

I've been following the progress of you diorama and it's off the charts cool!! So much to look at and the detail and planning you did is insane!!

Escape...and where have you been? I rattled Invar's cage and you were next :lol

Hey man! Good to hear from you :thumbsup Thanks brother, it's coming along nicely. Seems like forever since we were doing our ISD's. This dio turned into a real monster but I'm having fun with it, wish I could have made it bigger (deeper) but it would have stuck out of the wall too far. it already pokes out like 5 inches. As far as the way it's turning out, I've had a lot of help from our brother builders here, finding things I need, making things I need, suggestions a plenty, and all have been extremely valuable to the project. Couldn't have done without it. Almost done with the base itself, and then on to the final center piece...the PG Falcon. That alone will be a few months I suspect. After that, I'd like to say I'll take a break, but I probably won't. Show us what you got man, love to see it! (y)cheers
Your always give me a good laugh......I'm here....... I have to update the BSG build.

I've been following the progress of you diorama and it's off the charts cool!! So much to look at and the detail and planning you did is insane!!

I'm going to update the BSG post and I want your opinion on the base I'm making. Check in a few minutes.....

Hey man! Good to hear from you :thumbsup Thanks brother, it's coming along nicely. Seems like forever since we were doing our ISD's. This dio turned into a real monster but I'm having fun with it, wish I could have made it bigger (deeper) but it would have stuck out of the wall too far. it already pokes out like 5 inches. As far as the way it's turning out, I've had a lot of help from our brother builders here, finding things I need, making things I need, suggestions a plenty, and all have been extremely valuable to the project. Couldn't have done without it. Almost done with the base itself, and then on to the final center piece...the PG Falcon. That alone will be a few months I suspect. After that, I'd like to say I'll take a break, but I probably won't. Show us what you got man, love to see it! (y)cheers

Freehand. Just me, a GB's worth of ILM Avenger model pics on the computer, a #11 Exacto Blade, styrene, and a bottle of Tamiya thin cement. I gave up hunting for tank or battleship model parts that I could use for greeblies at that scale outside of a 1700 scale Iowa battleship brass fittings PE set, so it's cut, carve, shape and glue those tiny bits together.

It's fun when I get on a roll. Not so fun when I get a piece made and the tweezers lose their hold and it bounces off the bench and I lose it in the carpet. Also sometimes get stymied and end up staring at the section I want to detail for a day or more because the Zvezda itself is NOT accurate for such detail and I have to consider whether or not to carve out the existing plastic on the Zvezda to custom-create a section I will have to glue in there to better represent the details in the pics of the ILM model. Or whether to just craft one greeblie that stands out on the ILM model and fit it somewhere near where it would go on the Zvezda. That happens a lot.

But, I continue to trudge away. I have gone through more than two dozen .030 micro bits drilling holes for the .25mm fibers, and the wedding cake portion is proving exceptionally irritating because the plastic on the frame of the Zvezda is too thick to drill through once I finish the side plates and glue them on, so I have had to carve away the base frame beneath where the cake detail plates get glued on. Fun!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Invar, you wouldn't want to scratch build me a couple of neck side walls, would you? ;)

Really neat work. You guys are crazy, in the finest tradition of the RPF.

Thank you sir! I haven't even gotten to mine yet so I have no idea what fresh hell awaits me there or how many weeks/months that section will tax me in time doing.

Thank you sir! I haven't even gotten to mine yet so I have no idea what fresh hell awaits me there or how many weeks/months that section will tax me in time doing.

Just tell yourself: "It's OK, that the detail is parallel with the trench and not the top deck, and you'll be fine. Me, I tried to hack mine to flow correctly and messed up the parts.

Here's a fun example of what I am putting myself through. This first pic is from the ILM Avenger model, and that shelf-extension is NOT on the Zvezda and it's pretty prominent.

Shelfport.jpg

So I started carving one last night and decided I needed to make the whole thing instead of just a flat piece of styrene there. The Zvezda is not accurate in terms of existing detail so I have to approximate where it would go in relation to other detail I have not carved and cut yet. So last night I got the "shelf" portion itself carved and glued and I put into place this morning. Now I will have to cut and carve and glue the two footer things to the bottom of the shelf extension and then carve the bottom middle 'stub' that rests on the roof of the piece below it.

Shelfport.jpegShelfport2.jpeg

And this is why I have banging away on this baby for a good year already. Stuff like this. BUT... it will hopefully end up where I want it - and it will be everything I always wanted to have in terms of a model at a scale my wife will let me hang from the ceiling. The Randy Cooper was just a bit too large and costly plus I have never worked in resin before and the nightmare stories I have read have steered me away from trying that for now.

The question is: Are you going to add the little toilet looking thing down below the shelf? :lol

Yes. Yes I am.

Because with a crew that large there has to be a giant potty somewhere on a ship that size.

And it all ties into the garbage chute. :lol

Good to see that you're still slogging away, as am I. I discovered the hard way that the greeblie rabbit hole has no bottom. As usual, your work leaves me speechless...if you're composing an encyclopedia, then I'm writing a cheap novel. :p

I got nuthin'.:D

lhdxlxY.jpg

Ah come on Guns, you do great work...lets see some, you haven't shared in a while...you got fans here too brother:thumbsup
And it all ties into the garbage chute. :lol

Good to see that you're still slogging away, as am I. I discovered the hard way that the greeblie rabbit hole has no bottom. As usual, your work leaves me speechless...if you're composing an encyclopedia, then I'm writing a cheap novel. :p

I got nuthin'.:D

https://i.imgur.com/lhdxlxY.jpg

Well, after several hours last night and today - I finished the shelf thingy sticking out of the port side wedding cake, complete with toilet thing below.

Shelfport3.jpegShelfport4.jpegShelfport5.jpeg

And this is why it's taking me so long to greeblie this thing up. Sometimes I curse the gift of all those high res ILM model shots. But then, when I get this monster done - I can be proud and know that for the scale it is - it's the closest thing I'm going to have to the ILM model under 3 feet long.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back