Zvezda Avenger-Class ISD-II - WIP

Your first post here mentions "feeble attempt"...anything but feeble.

That's nice of you to say, however I have seen the work of Masters here for some time, including the stuff Robert/Robiwon had done and had taken to shows, so I know my place among such talent. A man's got to know his limitations. The greeblie stuff is where I tend to do well (and have since I built Vaders TIE in 1977), it is the lighting and the painting where I am truly going to struggle.

But among the Modelers here, I have found a great source of inspiration. Robiwon's encouragement got me to attempt lighting on my first kit (Revell 1/29 X-wing) which I finished just when the Zvezda was released so I am going from a lightweight larger scale 1/29 scale model to a 1/2700 with full-on lighting over 1000 drilled holes and 500 feet of FO, including a remote kit that Robert recommended.

I'm taking my time on this kit, because I want to get it right and since there has been no word of Bandai doing a PG Avenger anytime soon - and for the money and time I've already put into this one - this kit will likely be my pinnacle of model building.

Until I try to scratch build a Death Star II.

I'm right there with you on paint and lighting my friend. Until an MPC falcon a year and a half ago, everything I built looked like a new item. I knew nothing of weathering, rust effects, washes, nodda. I picked up most of all that from these guys as well, also Randy Cooper Youtube vids. I also learned a lot from Bob Martin when doing a 31" Disney Nautilus which just arrived at it's new home in Austria...I got another one for myself though :thumbsup Martin mostly does submarines, many R/C, but that guy has the weathering stuff down pat. Lighting, I'm still taking baby steps but improving with each build. LED's FO and all that are relatively new in my modeling efforts. Back in the late 80's when I was 23 or so, I built an NCC-1701-D, drilled out windows and glued styrene sheet across the openings and installed shortened Xmas light strands. At the time I was satisfied with my ingenuity but looking back :facepalm I also got the suggestion from Robiwon on the remotes, my first stab at that will be on this ISD. At 54 yrs old, I have ALOT more patience for doing things right than when I was younger and so glad I rediscovered modeling, but now it's a whole lot more than just a kit, glue and paint :thumbsup
That's nice of you to say, however I have seen the work of Masters here for some time, including the stuff Robert/Robiwon had done and had taken to shows, so I know my place among such talent. A man's got to know his limitations. The greeblie stuff is where I tend to do well (and have since I built Vaders TIE in 1977), it is the lighting and the painting where I am truly going to struggle.

But among the Modelers here, I have found a great source of inspiration. Robiwon's encouragement got me to attempt lighting on my first kit (Revell 1/29 X-wing) which I finished just when the Zvezda was released so I am going from a lightweight larger scale 1/29 scale model to a 1/2700 with full-on lighting over 1000 drilled holes and 500 feet of FO, including a remote kit that Robert recommended.

I'm taking my time on this kit, because I want to get it right and since there has been no word of Bandai doing a PG Avenger anytime soon - and for the money and time I've already put into this one - this kit will likely be my pinnacle of model building.

Until I try to scratch build a Death Star II.

Part 2: Trenches, Trenches and Greeblies

Still working on detailing this kit with greeblies and may be doing so for what seems like an endless eternity. But, I am pleased with how these are turning out - even if I am unable to match the ILM Avenger as perfectly as I really wanted to. I still have to approximate the look of the filming model because of the molding on the Zvezda base kit and due to the scale that prohibits me from getting as accurate as that.

The latest quick picks are progress shots of the port and starboard forward trenches that I have greeblied. Parts added and holes drilled for fiber in both the existing base plastic as well as all the added styrene sections. Had to also carve out the sides on the upper hull lip where fiber would need to get through to the added pieces, and where I did not have greeblies added over the exposed lip - I drilled fiber holes through the base plastic in the upper hull portion.

When I finish this forward triangle part of the destroyer, I will separate the top and bottom and glue each to the larger rear hull pieces top and bottom and use Tulip paint to fill any seam issues when those parts are joined. I decided to greebie the small forward section by itself first, mainly because when I began, I was experimenting with how I would detail it after raising the trench height by 1.5MM and then trying to figure out how to detail it after having a lot of empty blank space in the upper trench areas due to that raising. I am glad I did it this way because I inadvertently created a pilot lead groove that helps the top and bottom hull sections slide together in a snug fit without snapping any of the delicate greeblie work I have added. The tolerances are very, very tight and some pipe work that comes up from the bottom hull plugs into areas on the top hull half.

I am bummed my old iPhone cannot capture decent pics at close enough range to show the detail, but you get the idea.

View attachment 780291View attachment 780292View attachment 780293 Head-on2.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

Attachments

• Head-on2.jpg
    Head-on2.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Hi INVAR,

You probably are not at this stage on your SD yet but I know you have vast knowledge about the Star Destroyer and I want to know how to situate the field generators on the tower. The generators have an angle to them and the tower is also angled. I found a picture from another member Omnious on this forum.

Looks like the shortest side of the generators vertical uprights are facing in which make the top look slightly leaning to the outside.....Can't be certain because the picture is close. Does that seem correct to you? This is all I have left on my SD and I'm finished!!

Thanks!!

1870c2c1c6faea0a3477e3777c873684.jpg

Thanks!!.......I just checked out Omnius page and found this picture. Looks like the shortest side of the vertical uprights are facing in which make the top look slightly leaning to the outside.....Cant be certain because the picture is close. I will also ask INVAR

hey there Invar! What's the latest on you ISD? I know you said before that family life restricts your fun time somewhat, but I thought I check in on you :thumbsup

hey there Invar! What's the latest on you ISD? I know you said before that family life restricts your fun time somewhat, but I thought I check in on you :thumbsup

Life keeps me away from the bench unfortunately - and thus far I have greeblied up the entire port trench to the engines, and the starboard side to the last rear hangar bay notch. I had one disaster when one of the acrylic display arms that is holding up the hull got loose - and when inserting the starboard hangar bay I made for the rear notch with a pair of tweezers, the arm fell and the whole hull clattered to the floor both top and bottom. So a whole lot of repair work on small bits that got knocked off or cracked had to be fixed.

PortPeniletop.jpgStbdtrenchmid.jpgStbdtrenchmid2.jpgPorttrenchrear.jpgPorttrenchrear2.jpg

I am hoping that once I get the trenches completed that work will go faster because I do not think I have to carve up so many custom pieces to mimic the ILM 8 footer. But who knows, I haven't looked close yet at the wedding cake section of the Zvezda model versus the reference pics of the ILM model. I do know I have some serious work to do on the bridge face when I get there and also the neck and garbage chute.

But this has been a really fun build for me. I am taking my time (because I have to) and as I have been drilling holes for fiber(I am already over 500 and all I have drilled are the .25 mm trenches thus far) and have decided to buy more LEDS for fiber and also 6 more picos for the trench floods and the hangar bay lights for the side notch bay I created.

Thanks for thinking of me! I have been watching everyone's build on this with great excitement and eagerly wanting to get to the point of running fiber and painting - but, I am realizing that doing this right and taking my time is going to be very satisfying for me when I get it done.

Ouch! sorry to hear about the accident brother, happens to all of us from time to time, but you're chugging along! Tenacity, perseverance and extreme talent... abbreviation: INVAR :thumbsup
Life keeps me away from the bench unfortunately - and thus far I have greeblied up the entire port trench to the engines, and the starboard side to the last rear hangar bay notch. I had one disaster when one of the acrylic display arms that is holding up the hull got loose - and when inserting the starboard hangar bay I made for the rear notch with a pair of tweezers, the arm fell and the whole hull clattered to the floor both top and bottom. So a whole lot of repair work on small bits that got knocked off or cracked had to be fixed.

View attachment 819813View attachment 819812View attachment 819811View attachment 819810View attachment 819809

I am hoping that once I get the trenches completed that work will go faster because I do not think I have to carve up so many custom pieces to mimic the ILM 8 footer. But who knows, I haven't looked close yet at the wedding cake section of the Zvezda model versus the reference pics of the ILM model. I do know I have some serious work to do on the bridge face when I get there and also the neck and garbage chute.

But this has been a really fun build for me. I am taking my time (because I have to) and as I have been drilling holes for fiber(I am already over 500 and all I have drilled are the .25 mm trenches thus far) and have decided to buy more LEDS for fiber and also 6 more picos for the trench floods and the hangar bay lights for the side notch bay I created.

Thanks for thinking of me! I have been watching everyone's build on this with great excitement and eagerly wanting to get to the point of running fiber and painting - but, I am realizing that doing this right and taking my time is going to be very satisfying for me when I get it done.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm keeping a photo journal of your build, one day I'll do another one of these and follow you piece by piece. Exquisite work my friend! :thumbsup

Ouch! sorry to hear about the accident brother, happens to all of us from time to time, but you're chugging along! Tenacity, perseverance and extreme talent... abbreviation: INVAR :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

I'm keeping a photo journal of your build, one day I'll do another one of these and follow you piece by piece. Exquisite work my friend! :thumbsup

Thank you sir. You are making me blush.

One more pic I forgot to add of the starboard side hangar bay - it has TIE rails in there - and I may put one up on the rack - but I am yet undecided as I will either have to scratch build one or find one on Shapeways to scale.

Stbd-hangar-bay.jpg

Tie fighters...I got the Shapeways rack of 30, that the minimum.
I used like 8 and sent Escape 10. If you want I’ll send you you some? Send me a pm if you want them. I got some good stiff smallish boxes I used to send Escape his.

Gob smacking , detailing work on display there mate !
No offence , but it’s making my eyes hurt just imagining the time , effort and skills needed to complete what you have ( so far ) on this , in this scale !
Having said that - seeings how you’ve mentioned this is your ‘ Magnus opus ‘ when it comes to SW ships , it’s not really surprising ... but still is !
Thanks for sharing your impressive updates .

I’ve got the Zvezda and a few 1/700 ships / greeblies / photo etch stash sitting on my shelf ( still working on my Deago MF ! ) , but I know for certain that when I do get around to building her it won’t come within a Light year of what you’re successfully attempting - but I do thank you ( and others ) for the inspiration !

:cheersGed

Good to hear from you Invar, was wondering how your build was going! Sorry to hear about the gravity incident lol. I feel you on the greeblies though...it's one rabbit hole that I find myself getting deeper and deeper into. There's got to be a point where I say enough is enough and move on to another section of the ship!

Attachments

• 20180510_090708.jpg
    20180510_090708.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 342
Well hey there Mr. Guns,
I hadn't visited your thread since I...withdrew shall we say. Looks like you've taken the same path as Invar, mighty fine work sir, looks awesome. No hard feeling man. Looking forward to seeing more of your killer looking build. :cheers
Good to hear from you Invar, was wondering how your build was going! Sorry to hear about the gravity incident lol. I feel you on the greeblies though...it's one rabbit hole that I find myself getting deeper and deeper into. There's got to be a point where I say enough is enough and move on to another section of the ship!

Hey Guns - most impressive! Yes, once you start down the rabbit hole of greeblies, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

What's worse is having very good high quality reference pics of the ILM 8 footer from the Identities exhibition. Makes me have to spend ten times as much time as I originally thought I would on a section once I get a close gander at what they did , versus what kind of negative space I have to fill up on the Zvezda.

So once you see this:

PortPenileDetails.jpg

You become obsessed with approximating that by spending a week custom cutting tiny bits of styrene and end up with this:

PortPeniletop.jpg

And still you find yourself unsatisfied because it is not exact - so you either keep messing with it or finally say to yourself as you said: 'enough is enough' just to move onto another section of the ship where you find yourself repeating the same exact thing.

Well hey there Mr. Guns,
I hadn't visited your thread since I...withdrew shall we say. Looks like you've taken the same path as Invar, mighty fine work sir, looks awesome. No hard feeling man. Looking forward to seeing more of your killer looking build. :cheers

Thank you so much, glad you like what I've so far done! :cheers Your latest builds are nothing to sneeze at, either (I've been lurking lol). :thumbsup

Hey Guns - most impressive! Yes, once you start down the rabbit hole of greeblies, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

What's worse is having very good high quality reference pics of the ILM 8 footer from the Identities exhibition. Makes me have to spend ten times as much time as I originally thought I would on a section once I get a close gander at what they did , versus what kind of negative space I have to fill up on the Zvezda.

:lol

Oh believe me, I've accumulated several GB's of reference pics, as well as being inspired by you, gt350pony66, Dubz, et all. I figured from the start that I wouldn't be able to precisely replicate the actual studio model, so my build is pretty much a mash-up. Mix in my own interpretation and, well, I guess we'll see how things turn out.

My greatest fear is that after all this labor, my details will become mostly lost after that first coat of primer... :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back