Finn & Poe GLIE 44 updated for Episode 8

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It's been a while since I posted any build threads so I figured it was time to update with some of the things I've been up to lately. With The Last Jedi around the corner and Boyega showing off his updated Glie 44 blaster, I wanted to update my kit pattern to the new version since I think it looks MUCH improved over the one in Ep 7. It has less detail, but the overall shape feels more sleek.

I'll be using the Sig Sauer airsoft I've had for a couple years in this build. To make the grips accurate, I will eventually mask off and fill in some of the textures. The grips will not be perfectly accurate, but "close enough" I reckon and that's OK with me in this case.

My intent is to retain trigger functionality and somehow wire it up to interior lighting and maybe SFX.

Here are some photos of the build so far.

First, here's a look at the old version.
poe_primered.jpg

And a comparison of the 3d models (new one on top):
finn_ep8renderWIP.JPG

poe_wip2.JPG

Notable changes on the Ep8 version include:
  • Longer, sleeker muzzle and "mid barrel"
  • Small "nub" details removed
  • Power box is now smooth, with no "mesh"
  • Upper grip is now a 90 hard angle instead of a curve
  • End cap (not visible) has been remade completely
  • Shape of blue cutout areas is different

All the final parts collected, with support material removed but not completely cleaned up:
G44_8_2.jpg

A first test-fitting of all the parts:
G44_8_7.jpg

A view from the interior. The shell has a guide for the weaver rail modeled into it, so that positioning the airsoft is easier. (It will be affixed more permanently with 2-part modeling epoxy, such as "green stuff".) The hammer has been filed down to give clearance to the shell. There's plenty of room for electronics. One challenge was making the shell so that the mid-barrel can be inserted AFTER the two halves of the shell have been joined and painted. In the Ep7 version, the mid-barrel could simply be pressed into place but in the one Boyega showed, the center barrel clearly goes into the body of the blaster and I wanted to retain that for accuracy.
G44_8_1.jpg

This is actually one of the more problematic hollow shells to print, as it requires a lot of interior support. It's easily removed with small pliers... and to be honest it's a little like snapping bubble-wrap in that you kinda get addicted to hearing the snap-and-crackle as it comes off! To get a better result, I actually modeled a lot of supports manually instead of letting the printer automatically place everything. Some of the outer edges will still need some cleanup and trimming though because the machine is essentially printing in mid-air.
G44_8_4b.jpg

G44_8_4.jpg

To make replacing batteries possible, I modeled a locking ring into the end cap. I had to go through about 3-4 complete revisions to get it right.
G44_8_8.jpg

Random image of the blue translucent parts...
G44_8_5.jpg

Here they are just held up against a work lamp. It'll look much better with LEDS behind each one. (I mustn't forget to paint the inside of the blaster black to soak up the excess light.)
G44_8_6.jpg

My final test assembly to verify all the parts.
G44_8_3.jpg

Next I will be looking into making the little hinge for the trigger and start painting. I'll update when I can!

That's looking awesome! I really like this blaster design in general. I know some don't, but I'm into it. Especially with the Ep 8 improvements. Great work as always :thumbsup

Thanks. I actually kinda stalled on the project a while back. Then I remastered the files to work on a resin printer, then I kinda stalled again! With the Ep 9 trailer and images confirming both Poe and Finn are still using their Glies, I went back and pulled the resin printed out of storage and started working on it again here and there. Maybe I'll be done in time for the movie, haha.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back