Hoth diorama

Arno

Hello everyone,

I am planning to make a 1:144 Hoth diorama. Anyone have some advice on how to scratch build an Ion Cannon a.k.a. V-150 Planet Defender?

Also has anyone an idea what the measurements would be on 1:144 scale?

Thanks,

Arno

Hi Arno and welcome aboard ... what a great idea ... I'm not good with scales, yet I am one known to do lots of research ... so put on your google cap and search for Hoth scenes etcetera ... and if you find a picture of an AT-AT with the Ion canon perhaps you can estimate what the size of it would be and then get some plastic balls to start scratchbuilding one ... also I have seen them made before so either use the search feature here or google ... can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Chaïm

Years ago, Kenner made a bunch of play sets that came with small metal figures. there was a Hoth base set that had a snowy mountain, and an ion cannon that was pretty good! Try ebay, you might find one there, iirc it was about the size of a baseball.

Years ago, Kenner made a bunch of play sets that came with small metal figures. there was a Hoth base set that had a snowy mountain, and an ion cannon that was pretty good! Try ebay, you might find one there, iirc it was about the size of a baseball.
The micro collection. I loved that stuff.I know the characters weren't pose-able but the playsets were awesome

For anyone interested in the size, here it is along with my 1/72 stuff and some micromachine figures (not the micro collection figures which are bigger

It definitely is better suited to a 1/144 stuck in the background

If your interested, I can get some pics of it with some 1/144 stuff

Thanks for the advice, Ill definitely give that a go. My only problem is that I can't gat an image where the AT-AT and the cannon are close to eachother. The distance is making it hard for me to make an estimate.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the advice, Ill definitely give that a go. My only problem is that I can't gat an image where the AT-AT and the cannon are close to eachother. The distance is making it hard for me to make an estimate.

Hi Arno and welcome aboard ... what a great idea ... I'm not good with scales, yet I am one known to do lots of research ... so put on your google cap and search for Hoth scenes etcetera ... and if you find a picture of an AT-AT with the Ion canon perhaps you can estimate what the size of it would be and then get some plastic balls to start scratchbuilding one ... also I have seen them made before so either use the search feature here or google ... can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Chaïm

Thanks a lot for the advice man. Ill definitely give that a go. My only problem is that I can't gat an image where the AT-AT and the cannon are close to eachother. The distance is making it hard for me to make an estimate.

thats great, thanks!

Maybe you can work it out based on the size/scale of the anti-personnel turret that's right at the bottom of it in some of the movie stills.

Is that really all the bigger the generators were? I thought they were enormous - like as tall as the walkers.

No, it's not really to scale. Those were part of the kenner micro collection playsets. The diecast figures it originally came with are 1/48, but most of the playsets were undersized for the figures and fit better with micromachine scale (around 1/80).

The generator and ion cannon are still to small for 1/72. I just had them there as background eye candy place holders until I finish some proper 1/72 stuff

As I mentioned though, they might look decent with 1/144 stuff

i've recently started some preliminary research on the ion cannon.looks the the filming model is approx 300mm dia. ball.that pic with the small rebel turret in give some clue to the scale.
i think it's gonna work out at approx 1/72 scale which is great cos there is plenty of 1/72 scale kits you can add to it. 19250748_1476120195786321_2873689251136049920_o.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here's the other pic108099402.0Pxs5kAu.SN_ESB_IonCannon_02.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here's the other pic108099402.0Pxs5kAu.SN_ESB_IonCannon_02.jpg

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks guys! I belive I can eyeball some estimates with all this info. Now I'll gather the materials to build one :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back