Custom Rubber Ducks - Film Characters

Jamrocky

Hello RPF

I'm new. I'd just like to say I have heard great things from Adam Savage's Youtube Channel about RPF.

To get to the point, I want to make some customised rubber ducks (think "Ducks Do Cosplay"). So they will be rubber ducks that take on caricature like features of famous film and Tv characters. i.e Indiana Duck, Jabba the Duck, Chewquacka... sorry about the puns - just being stupid, but I wanted to start with Big Franchise characters with noticeable attributes.

The attached mass produced example (see picture 1) is Sigmund Freud, available from the Freud museum gift shop, believe it or not. This is just an example of a "Character" with identifying attributes like the facial hair, the glasses, the book and even an old fashioned suit. Note the hybrid wing/arms, with feather-like fingers holding what I think is a pen. Ducks with arms shouldn't work aesthetically - but I think they pulled it off..

So for my ducks I have set myself two rules; I wanted it to be hollow if possible like a normal rubber duck and I want it to be waterproof after painting. Basically I want them "Bathable".

Rather than start from scratch, I've found the product in the attached picture 2. Its called the "Melissa & Doug Decorate-Your-Own Rubber Duck Craft Kit" (just £5 in the UK). I can't find the material used but I'd guess its whatever traditional ducks are made from (polyethylene?). Maybe someone can help on that detail.

I was wondering could I use this product and then reshape or even file down the wings and the add my own parts as appropriate for the character. i.e moustache, glasses, holding items, clothing bumps etc.

So summary questions

OPTION 1
Is this the best starting point?
Is it possible to stick to this material and it be waterproof?
If so, what materials, glues and paints are needed?

OPTION 2
Should I start from scratch with a mould?
If so, can I make it hollow? (I would have guessed it would be like making a latex item using the pour in pour out method in a two part mould?- I have no clue so please don't laugh)

Sorry for the long complex question. I want to get into making but live in a bedroom in shared student accommodation and thus I have little to no room. I thought a small project like this would be manageable space wise and would allow me to learn various techniques on a mini-scale. I also have a specific person in mind for these things so thats why I started here.

If anyone does see this and help, thank you in advance. I promise not to use the puns again...

Jamie

Attachments

• Duck Picture 1.jpg
    Duck Picture 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 548
  • Duck Picture 2.jpg
    Duck Picture 2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 133
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back