Question about Contact Lenses

Keelan562

For those of you who have used theatrical/sfx contact lenses as part of your costume, especially those doing snake or cat eyes, how do you make sure the vertical slit pupils stay in the correct position?

I'm sure there will be moments where they are skewed and you need to realign them, but can you simply do it by moving the lens, or is it best to remove the lens and re-insert it?

Also, if any of you have an astigmatism in an eye, how badly does that affect the alignment of a lens?

I just worked with cat eye lenses and they seemed to stay more or less vertical. Pretty much once they were settled, they stayed in that direction. If they go askew though, you can just turn them gently with your finger, no need to take them out and put them back in.

Can't speak to the astigmatism question--that would be a question for an eye doctor (who you should consult before using any contact lenses.)

[h=2]Fron a google search: m
How Astigmatism Contacts Correct Your Vision[/h]Astigmatism contacts work by reshaping your cornea. Also known as toric lenses, these contacts are customized for you to correct the specific degree of curvature in your eye in addition to correcting coexisting nearsightedness or farsightedness. While these lenses are available in both soft and rigid forms, keep in mind that astigmatism lenses must be firm enough to reshape your cornea. With traditional soft lenses, your cornea shapes the lens; however, the lens must reshape your cornea in astigmatism cases. Because toric lenses are designed to correct a specific corneal irregularity, they must sit on your cornea in a certain way to work properly. While regular lenses rotate and slide when you blink, toric lenses are heavier at the bottom to help keep them in the correct position. While there are different types of toric contacts you can choose from, such as rigid gas permeable, disposable, or daily wear, the type of astigmatism you have ultimately determines which type of lenses you need. This is so because some types of astigmatism are more difficult to correct and require non-disposable lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
The tech has changed a lot in the last few years but you might have issues with the cosmetic lenses sticking to your eyes depending on how bad your astigmatism is. Or they might not orient properly if the pattern is asymmetrical. They are quite thin and obviously not therapeutic grade. Completely different from the type actually used to correct astigmatism.

I wore real contacts for a decade before the lasers broke out and found the cosmetic ones very similar to the thinnish daily disposable ones.

Thank you so much for the info, everyone!

I've still some time. I did consult with my optometrist about where to get the lenses, so I went with a retailer that they've used before with their patients (though for budgetary reasons, I went with the least expensive of their suggestions).

Glad to know I won't have to take them out, so I'll just have to make sure I get up early the day I'll be using them to apply them with enough time to settle correctly. Hopefully the astigmatism in my right eye isn't to the point where it rotates the lens; the contacts I wear on the regular for that eye are the toric lens type, so that may be an issue but I'm hoping it won't be.

Not a huge issue if it's off center, just don't want to end up with derp-cat eyes if it can be helped. XD

Thanks again.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back