Full Sized T-Rex Dinosaur Skull - advice on coating/finishing/painting rigid foam?

Re: Full Sized T-Rex Dinosaur Skull - advice on coating/finishing/painting rigid foam

Currently WINNING current ongoing project builds right now in my opinion. This is incredibly awesome and something I've wanted to own since I was a little child. You go ahead and let me know when you work out a kit form. :lol

-Ash

Re: Full Sized T-Rex Dinosaur Skull - advice on coating/finishing/painting rigid foam

Is this available for sharing the plans?

I would only ever have space for a head !

Looking bad ass!

That is so freakin' awesome!!

Currently WINNING current ongoing project builds right now in my opinion. This is incredibly awesome and something I've wanted to own since I was a little child. You go ahead and let me know when you work out a kit form.
-Ash

Is this available for sharing the plans?
I would only ever have space for a head !

Thanks guys! Appreciate the feedback this is the first time I've done a project like this. Totally with you on the childhood dream @Ash :lol

Spent so much time this week manually carving out the internal structures...skulls are weird shapes and a lot more work than planned getting the details right.

@Ash / @horus haven't really thought about a kit or what that would entail but interesting idea. When I find some time I'm going to upload all the models and design files I used (for free) if they can help anyone.

Will also try to make some videos about my workflow/process. Along the way I realized some areas I could have improved and saved myself a bunch of time. If the weather is good will upload some more pics this weekend!

Finally finished carving out the internal geometry of the top part of the skull (took way longer than I thought!). Had to cross section the 3D model and really analyze the internal structure to slowly match it to the foam section by section. Used a combination of serrated knives, box cutters, a die grinder (air) with a rasp bit. In this photo the 4.8ft skull is sitting inside the 8'x10' CNC shed (kind of a snug fit in there right now lol):

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_14.jpg

Surprisingly this was by far the most useful tool that I came across by chance. It's a pumpkin scooper that I found at the dollar store. I sharpened the serrated edge using a grinder. Really helped to remove inside material fast in the hard to reach places:

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_20.jpg

Had fun shaping the teeth! The final teeth will have the serrations on the back edges (will add after fiberglassing):

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_15.jpg

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_16.jpg

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_17.jpg

Apparently T-rex's teeth were the size of bananas. Theory confirmed! :lol

BBQ skewers added for reinforcement:

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_19.jpg

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_18.jpg

Still working on the lower jaw but should be done this week I hope.

Happy Halloween everyone!

That's a really cool project and coming along nicely.

Where did you get that 3D file? Looks awesome.

I can not believe how cool this is. I can't wait till it's done!!

You could always coat it with cassini's plaster, or any P.I.P for that matter, that way you could cut out the pva glue stage altogether. It's made for outdoor sculptures and its pretty damn cheap. Also whilst its kicking you can add the little details like the stan cast has, i.e pits and whatnot. Just a thought! Keep going, its pretty amazing already and the teeth supports is a genius idea! Well done!

Ya know......this is the type of thing that you could make a good chunk of change once finished and presented correctly.

Thanks all for the feedback! It's been a little bit harder working outside as the weather got cooler but I've made a bit of progress since the last post and have since moved the project indoors.

You could always coat it with cassini's plaster, or any P.I.P for that matter, that way you could cut out the pva glue stage altogether. It's made for outdoor sculptures and its pretty damn cheap. Also whilst its kicking you can add the little details like the stan cast has, i.e pits and whatnot. Just a thought! Keep going, its pretty amazing already and the teeth supports is a genius idea! Well done!

Thanks Jess for the great idea to use plaster! I think I'm going to attempt a combination of plaster + cheap clay over the foam on certain areas before applying the resin/fiberglass. I'm hoping the plastered areas dry with cracks (I may try to induce the cracks somehow) to better simulate the look of fragmented bone.

Here's a few more progress photos of the lower jaw and beginnings of the mounting system. I decided to keep the mounts super simple and easy to disassemble for transporting around.

I hot-glued some temporary wooden braces/supports to the lower jaw to maintain rigidity while building the mounts. For now, the base is just a piece of MDF with 4 castor wheels on the base. The skull will appear to 'float' over the much smaller base.

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_21.jpg

Here I cut out a small cavity in the top of skull and epoxied in a piece of plywood with a cast iron flange screwed on to it. I slathered epoxy and polyurethane glue so that the glue would puff up and expand into he foam cavities. Once In place I jammed a bunch of the bamboo BBQ skewers in and around the wood to reinforce and spread the tension over a wider area. I then added more poly glue to firm everything up. A 1/2" black iron plumbing pipe will do most of the work holding up the skull. This main connection point will be reinforced later with fiberglass mat and resin.

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_22.jpg

I hoisted the top part of the skull up with a rope to more easily balance it in position over the base:

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_23.jpg

I used another scrap piece of pipe and a decorative flange/cover thing I found to act as the base's pipe holder that mates with the iron pipe:

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_24.jpg

To hold up the lower jaw, I machined these little side-mounted connectors that are fastened to the sides of the jaw in 4 places. I mounted them on plywood so they have a firm base to hang on to instead of just the foam. Later on these connection points will also be reinforced with resin/fiberglass. The chicken wire was just an afterthought and I figured it might help with grabbing on to the fiberglass/foam.

Smaller steel dowels run through the pipes that will connect to t he side mounts. The mounts have set screws tapped into them to hang on to the dowels when in place.

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_25.jpg

And here's a look at what the final orientation/positioning will be! I can modify the height, position of the jaw, and how open the mouth is just by changing the lengths of the iron pipes.

shareahack_diy-trex-skull-cnc-foam_3dmodel_26.jpg

Every now and then I post some progress/videos on Instagram if anyone interested: https://www.instagram.com/shareahack/

Hope everyone is gearing up for a great holiday! Cheers

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back