Just watched The Empire Strikes Back : Revisited.....

I really enjoyed some of Adywan's changed, but some, namely the extensive cut of Alderaan's destruction, some random SD scenes, the reordering of the Battle of Yavin, and a few other things bothered me. He seemed to have good intentions to start, but got the Lucas bug and fixed things that didn't need fixing, things that were fine already.

I saw some posts of his where he was updating everyone on his ESB revisted and he was recreating the Hoth hanger with minatures and fake snow etc, and I was just like why...why do you need to reshoot that? The Hoth base is perfect in the original, the set + the matte paintings are what make SW, SW. Granted I haven't seen his ESB video yet, but I didn't get that.

Some fixes I desperately wanted which he fixed some, namely:

-Lukes lightsaber color in ANH really looks bad, and isn't blue but white - was fixed.
-Obi Wans saber flickers and spurts I believe was fixed.
- I actually didn't mind him adding returning gunfire from the Falcon in the escape from the DS battle since we clearly see Han and Luke in the turrets in the interior shots, but maybe just tone it down a wee bit. But I think that was a nice touch
- I also didn't mind the added effect of the MF in hyperspace after they defeat the TIEs as Tarkin clearly states they made the jump to hyperspace and in the original outside the cockpit is just a black starfield. That was nice touch and didn't bother me.

Basically I was I could pick and choose which ones were added lol

Thanks so much for making it available!

One question- I would like to burn this to a disc but the MKV extension is unfamiliar to me.

MKV is a straight video file. Personally I play movies like this (torrented......:) ) off of thumb drives or other external drive. Most smart tv's can play it. The only trick is to reformat thumb drives away from fat32 to handle the larger file size.

So I'm not a video expert, but the complete file size is 7gb. How do you guys get it to fit on a DVD?

Depends what you want to do with it. If you're just making a data disc to store the mkv you can use a double layer disc. If you're creating a DVD the software will shrink the size down to fit, plus it will will scale it to DVD resolution. A data disc is preferable if you have a player that can play the file.

Depends what you want to do with it. If you're just making a data disc to store the mkv you can use a double layer disc. If you're creating a DVD the software will shrink the size down to fit, plus it will will scale it to DVD resolution. A data disc is preferable if you have a player that can play the file.
So when you say "software" what are you referring to? If I use my burning software it just tells me the file is too big. Do you recommend a burning software that would compress it to a DVD for viewing on my player?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

What are you making, a data disc or a DVD video? A data disc is just the mkv file burned from your HD onto a disc and will be the full 7gb. A DVD video will convert the file to the DVD format to play in any DVD player. Some DVD creation software will adjust the file size to fit the disc, DVDFlick for example. But this will affect the video quality, so use a dual layer disc to get the most out of it.

If you burn a MKV file to DVD it will be a data only disc, and will not play in most DVD players. You have to alter the MKV file with something like this: http://www.dvd-creator-converter.com/tutorials/convert-mkv-to-dvd.html
I just play the MKV files, my older tv downstairs has an HDMI connected media reader like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-H...=1504144285&sr=8-3&keywords=media+card+player
For example, I have several movies that are about 30 gigs each. The quality is so great and the ease of use is just as easy as a disc, if not easier, that for me the question is, why burn?

@dbuck -- I actually am working on going the other way round. I'm keeping my CDs and DVDs and BluRays and such. Undisplayed, they won't take up that much space. Ripping everything uncompressed and stashing it on some external hard drives for reference. But ultimately, they're all going on MicroSD cards and into ultracompact USB adapters like this one. A compact three- or four-bay USB hub is going in my car, and a wall-mounted scratchbuilt "isolinear panel" is going near the TV.

A single 32GB (the current "standard" size) MicroSD card is good for millions of reads without deterioration and can store about 60 hours of music or VHS-quality video, not quite seven hours of DVD-quality video... or a bit over five minutes of 4K video. *heh* But there are also 64GB, 128GB, and, recently coming on the market, 1TB and 2TB cards. A 1TB MicroSD card could hold almost five hours of uncompressed 4K video. By playing around with card sizes, it'd be pretty easy to put together long music playlists and carry whole seasons of TV series on a literal handful of these lovely things.

But, @kokkari, if you really want to burn it to DVD, a dual-layer (single-sided) DVD-R should suffice. They have a data capacity of about 8.5GB. :)

--Jonah

Single Sided Single Layer -- 4.7GB
Single Sided Dual Layer -- 8.5GB
Double Sided Single Layer -- 9.4GB
Double Sided Dual Layer -- 17.08GB

Not getting into BluRay capacities here. ;)

From Revisited News:

The first wave of the release of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back Revisited is available for download. This wave consists of the 720p MKV (high definition, no menu).

The MKV is a compressed 8 GB but still HD version of the film, with no menus or audio options. This file can be played on your computer using a program like VLC Player, on your TV through a lot of Smart TV and Blu-ray players, or converted to a file format of your choice.

Next will be the DVD-5, a 5 GB ISO file that will be able to be burned onto a single-layer DVD (available at most stores and burnable by every DVD burner) using a program like ImgBurn. The resulting disc will be playable on most NTSC DVD/Blu-ray players right out of the box. This will be a compressed standard definition version.

Later will come less-compressed dual-layer DVD-9 versions (in both NTSC and PAL) and a BD-25 ISO burnable to Blu-ray disc. These versions will have more refined menus and options, with bonus features such as behind the scenes footage, interviews, alternate versions, and trailers. Also in the works is a DVD-5 of the bonus features.

Thank you for your patience, and we hope that the movie is everything you’ve been dreaming about for almost a decade.

Last edited:
Thanks guys thumb drive works great! So does anyone have a link to his ANH version?

Thanks guys thumb drive works great! So does anyone have a link to his ANH version?

The ANH version is out there too for download, just Google Star Wars Revisited.

I downloaded it today but I see it is the NTSC-DVD version (just like a disk) and I want a MKV version.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If you burn a MKV file to DVD it will be a data only disc, and will not play in most DVD players. You have to alter the MKV file with something like this: http://www.dvd-creator-converter.com/tutorials/convert-mkv-to-dvd.html
I just play the MKV files, my older tv downstairs has an HDMI connected media reader like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-H...=1504144285&sr=8-3&keywords=media+card+player
For example, I have several movies that are about 30 gigs each. The quality is so great and the ease of use is just as easy as a disc, if not easier, that for me the question is, why burn?
Agreed, now where is ANH in the MKV format?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back