Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

good choice!!! looks great - i'm just getting started on a life sized dalek build but this makes that look tiny and pathetic cant even begin to imagine doing something like this - so i'm living vicariously through your efforts

^^^ Thanks gang!

Update:

Modular breakdown of the engine nacelles. The engines are 2.41 metres, even before the exhaust goes on the end, so I’ve decided to break them in half for ease of storage, transport and assembly on site. Today I got the first half of the port nacelle framed up and formers spaced apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest I'll ever get to a launch tube is the storage space behind my shed!

Update:

The race against time!

Once you open a can of this stuff, you have to use it all in one go or risk it going off in the can, or leaking propellant so you end up with a can of glue and nothing to push it out. It's amazing how solid and rigid the structure becomes with all the polystyrene glued in place. I also reinforced it by gluing in a double wall behind the skin once it set. Ready for sanding.

AyDNYmQ.jpg

AyDNYmQ.jpg

Unbelievable work:eek Not for the faint of heart mate! You're pushing the bar up, once again, with this project(y)thumbsup

Unbelievable work:eek Not for the faint of heart mate! You're pushing the bar up, once again, with this project(y)thumbsup

Thanks mate. It all looks a bit rough right now, but after I run over it all with the orbital sander, it will show it's beautiful form. Fibreglassing is going to take some time and be pretty expensive, but then I've got the whole thing fleshed out and smoothed, I can take it one module at a time.

Awesome work mate! Just found the thread and I’m still picking my jaw up off the ground!!
As a fellow Viper builder, you’ve inspired me to get off my backside. Thanks for sharing and thanks for renewing my motivation. Hopefully we’ll get to see the Mk1 and Mk II side by side one day.

^^^ Thanks guys. :D

Update:

Welding engine frames continued.

My fortnightly Saturday off to work on the project has been building up. Friday afternoon I picked up all the steel to finish the engine frames.

I had to settle for galvanised steel as they were out of stock of the plain blue painted. I hate gal. Been poisoned badly before, welding this ****. Lots of extra grinding of the joints prior to welding to reduce it. Window and shed door wide open, fan on full blast…let’s get this over with.

YoD4DyJ.jpg

dHuvphL.jpg

bI9BLfB.jpg

paccgCE.jpg

dwufHvJ.jpg

ArEHpiq.jpg

lwdBe29.jpg

Another big day of Viper building coming up on Saturday. I'm hoping to get the second half of engine two welded up and assembled. I will be pushing myself to work out the attachment points for the undercarriage, then mount the engines once the weight is supported. Ambitious. Lord keep the enemy from standing in my way!

4 September 2018 progress.

This part has been dangerous! Trying to prop the engines in position alone, against the side of the Viper to check for fit. The modules aren't that heavy for a one person lift, but they are EXTREMELY cumbersome. Mainly because they haven't got a hard shell on them yet, so I can't grab and lift from convenient edges.

Now they are in position, I can plan and weld on the attachment struts from frame to frame, using engineering geometries to strengthen it for support.

KAQtiVD.jpg

muGCf0P.jpg

L8ld5SY.jpg

luKxC5V.jpg

eeXhZCT.jpg

0W8nAVr.jpg

ow3EsqA.jpg

This is such big project:eek! I think you should be named shareholder of a fiberglass company before laying it on top of that foam mate;):thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back