Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

The closest ammunition I could find to what seems to be agreed as the right one for the Viper, is a NATO 30mm cannon round with a 173mm long case.

I found a scrap piece of Oregon and hacked it square with one of my small knives. Metalwork lathes work OK on wood, lucky for me. I used a photograph of the NATO round and was able to guesstimate approximate dimensions, knowing the diameter of the projectile was 30mm. It looks good after a bit of paint. I’ll mask it off tomorrow and spray the bands on it. I’d still like to get hold of an inert round to compare it. Then to make about 30 more of them and find/make some link to hang them under the guns of the Viper.

pUIDKtv.jpg

jvPfEiZ.jpg

HRuvERi.jpg

nf8XadY.jpg

qdIoW8y.jpg

OQXbpek.jpg

ssVTXAs.jpg

Illuminated push-buttons.
I’m really worried that the push button banks sent via US postage last October, (2017) have been lost or stolen. I am making fake buttons to cover the shortfall. They are 19x19mm and have 18x18mm stickers to label them all.

Full build here.

yV3Aif6.jpg

UG9CP5h.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JB. :D

Thanks to the guys here on OCAU, I was able to find a suitable dimmer for the AMPEX panel, (AKA weapon systems and fire control) and light it. As I couldn't source an AMPEX panel, I had to scratch build it from wood and plastic. Looks OK I suppose.

Thanks to a mate of mine, Andrew W, who replicated the gauges and digital dispay for me to print off on A4 paper and put lights behind it.

Full build here http://www.buildsbybaz.com/cockpit-interior-fit-out/

2HzVJ3L.jpg

stspsIO.jpg

TvVtcG5.jpg

7sZNqFS.jpg

Km0BvX6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks awesome! I am remounting my seat higher which seems to work out better, have you figured out what the box it sits on should look like and the dimensions? I am thinking it fits between the inner rails on the floor and runs from the front of the seat to the back (at least rear mounting holes). I am looking at 7.5" or about 19 cm above the floor. The picture below has the actual seat drawing scaled to fit the blueprints from Galactiguise. Ignore the top panel angle since I was still figuring that out when I made this. I think only the exterior dimensions are really close on these drawings.
VMKII Pit Seat.jpgThe actual sea drawing is also included below. It is the same seat I have which is a pretty common design.sum-g1100f seat.jpg

Yes I also figured the box would be about 200.. High, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how high the seat sits in relation to the side shelves and the joystick.

Remember to cut the head rest off the poly seat and fold the cover back over as was done to the real thing.

I'll be back into it in a couple of days.

Baz.

Good point about cutting the head rest. The joystick is a bit of a reach for me with the seat back as far as it appears to be, I wonder if it has some forward tilt to it. The back of the ejection seat part is another unknown as I haven't seen good documentation of that.

I made some progress over the last few days on mine:
IMG_20180110_200800476.jpg
It turns out I forgot to put one of the switches in on the left!

I am still trying to optimize the seat height, location and angle to be usable while still looking like the original. I am not sure the actual one was very ergonomic! I really don't see how they could reach the joystick when they had the extra 3 gauge panel in there in season 1.

I made some progress over the last few days on mine:
View attachment 786587
It turns out I forgot to put one of the switches in on the left!

I am still trying to optimize the seat height, location and angle to be usable while still looking like the original. I am not sure the actual one was very ergonomic! I really don't see how they could reach the joystick when they had the extra 3 gauge panel in there in season 1.

Lovely professional job there mate. I think mine is a bit rough by comparison. How did you do the print on the panels?

Thanks! I bought a Brother PC compatible label printer which can print white on clear just for this project. It does graphics and any font.

Here is the seat box so far. The seat has a forward tilt of about 1.5" (3.6cm) in the back mounting position which makes it a closer reach to the joystick. I also drilled some 3" lightening holes which will also allow the subwoofer to sound better. I have bass shakers mounted on the seat as well.
IMG_20180116_201007093.jpg

I got my Marshall monitor mounted as well. I think I like this one better than the older style I wasn't able to get easily.
IMG_20180116_200952799.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back