Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

She’s (?) looking sweet mate . Been watching & appreciating your progress with this build for sometime now . Gotta ask though , have you got any idea how much she’ll end up weighing when all done ? Will you need a forklift / crane to move her around ? ... Anyhoo , I’ve subbed now . Look forward to more impressive updates .

Cheers Ged .

p.s., went for a squiz on your blog /website ? - and your Iron Man suit is bloody brilliant . Didn’t bring expressions of ‘ What The ? & Joy ‘ from only the kids I can tell ya !

She’s (?) looking sweet mate . Been watching & appreciating your progress with this build for sometime now . Gotta ask though , have you got any idea how much she’ll end up weighing when all done ? Will you need a forklift / crane to move her around ? ... Anyhoo , I’ve subbed now . Look forward to more impressive updates .

Cheers Ged .

p.s., went for a squiz on your blog /website ? - and your Iron Man suit is bloody brilliant . Didn’t bring expressions of ‘ What The ? & Joy ‘ from only the kids I can tell ya !

The weight has never been much of a concern for me beyond moving the individual modules for transport and storage. Each module is man-portable by one to two people, with the exception of the cockpit, which is the largest piece, (most cumbersome) and heaviest with all the internal panels, instruments and fittings. I will likely palletise the heavier modules and move them with a trolley jack. (pallet jack)

Thanks for the kind words mate. :D

Baz.

Made a bit of progress tonight. The foam cutting and fitting is very tedious. Full build here > http://www.buildsbybaz.com/category/viper-build/

dO1wpOz.jpg

q6xQuKP.jpg

oJ0imi2.jpg

BivqI8w.jpg

BcY4rfM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am amazed at your progress! Sleep much?

I guess my comments didn't work.

Have you worked out all the cockpit internal dimensions yet? I am trying to figure out the angle on the main panel. As seen in this picture. I went with 1" back at the top and the panel is 14" high. It doesn't seem to be enough but I haven't seen any pictures where it is clear and it is different from the plans.IMG_0155.JPG

I am still trying to figure out how the side panels are setup. Are you planning to vac form them so the radio is inset?

Here is an overview of what I have assembled so far. I have to bondo the switch holes as they didn't work out as planned. The paint is done on the lower panel and joystick stand.

IMG_0156.JPG

I am amazed at your progress! Sleep much?

I guess my comments didn't work.

Have you worked out all the cockpit internal dimensions yet? I am trying to figure out the angle on the main panel. As seen in this picture. I went with 1" back at the top and the panel is 14" high. It doesn't seem to be enough but I haven't seen any pictures where it is clear and it is different from the plans.View attachment 775230

I am still trying to figure out how the side panels are setup. Are you planning to vac form them so the radio is inset?

Here is an overview of what I have assembled so far. I have to bondo the switch holes as they didn't work out as planned. The paint is done on the lower panel and joystick stand.

View attachment 775232

Mate, that looks excellent. I am just starting to put up the interior panels on the cockpit walls. Once they are in I will be able to work out the instrument panel. It's difficult to scale anything as the only drawings available are from Galactiguise and they are very low resolution and quality.

I have no facility for vacu-form so I will likely carve the shapes in polystyrene then fibreglass over the top. After that I can pull the polystyrene out.

Your pedestal looks great. Were you able to get an accurate scale for all of this or did you just make it up? I think that's all we can do without any more information than a few photos. The guy who owns the actual Viper used in the series emailed me to say that it is in storage and he has no time to answer my queries. :(

I got a lot more skinning done today and started trimming and shaping it a bit. It's so bloody BOORRRIIINNNGGG! So, I started putting the floor and interior walls in the cockpit to keep things interesting. A mate came over and asked me to modify his wheelchair, so that broke up the afternoon nicely for me. :D Cheerin' :D

U69bXZp.jpg

uwPejh5.jpg

eVSmpkj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Baz ,
Just got thru your website updates . Gotta say I really admire your commitment and resolve for this project , considering all the apparent limitations involved re ; accurate reference material / photographs , components ( availability / prices ) etc ... You mentioned a conundrum on how to mount the cockpit instruments - I’d go with what looks best / feels right over how they’re mounted in actual aircraft ( unless originals of prop show differently ) , considering it is a sci - fi vehicle after all , albeit an amazing one .

:cheersGed

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back