Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

Intake fans.

I'm really excited! I'm starting to design some of the moving parts in the engines. The only way I can make sense of the intakes is that they are louvres that can change pitch to seal shut in space, but open in atmosphere. It's not a very well thought out design, as from an engineering perspective, there are far better ways to do it.

They look fixed and are off centre, so they certainly can't spin. I wish they could. It would look so much cooler if they did. I am at war with movie accuracy and common sense.

xtQHrlb.jpg

T7BlCI5.jpg

Y06VR9E.jpg

fltDLEv.jpg

Using the first two formers of the starboard engine, I'm experimenting with some insulation board. I've bent it around and taped it in place, to see if it develops a curve memory overnight. If it does, I can then trim it to fit in between the boards. I'm also trying a heat gun to see if I can help it along.

TEjBAHc.jpg

HsxXkIO.jpg

xtQHrlb.jpg

T7BlCI5.jpg

Y06VR9E.jpg

fltDLEv.jpg

TEjBAHc.jpg

HsxXkIO.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
ah screw accuracy - redesign it for a rotating compressor fan :) (probably not the prevailing attitude here but i personally hate things that are clearly not functional)

That's a tough call. There are things in some props that kill the realism when you look at it closely. Still, it's hard not to duplicate the mistakes when trying to get it as accurate as possible. The truth of the matter is... on a build of this complexity and scale most people probably won't notice a detail like that. It's your work, do what you like and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

My opinion is keep it the same as the original if the spirit you want to evoke is that you got to go to the studio and look at the real set.

I vote for accuracy.

First reason is you'd have to change the form to improve the function and it would only be applied to those, and nothing else on the bird.

Second reason is, it doesn't fly unless otherwise noted, why would those fins need to turn anyway? Not even talking about the security factor here .. what would be the point anyway to turn those on?

I vote for accuracy.

First reason is you'd have to change the form to improve the function and it would only be applied to those, and nothing else on the bird.

Second reason is, it doesn't fly unless otherwise noted, why would those fins need to turn anyway? Not even talking about the security factor here .. what would be the point anyway to turn those on?

1. Form: Not that hard to do and wouldn't have to change anything on the outside, just cut a slot into the fuselage and shape the inside of the nacelle to be round.

2. Flying: Nothing wrong with giving a more realistic appearance that it COULD fly.

3. Point: Because it would look cool and go well with some other surprises I am including to add to the experience.

All that being said, I am still in two minds as to whether I should just stick to the original (boring static vanes), or spice things up a bit with some cool moving parts that look and sound dangerous!

Did I say it would look cool?

:p

Hard decision. I'll think on it some more.

Well, we're just trying to bring more point! Looks like you're mind is pretty much set .. we all can't wait to see what you have in store!

That's just the thing. My mind is not set.... aaarrrggghhh!!!!

Obviously, this is just one dummy's opinion, (meaning me, as the dummy), but I think that - ultimately - you could put a lot of time & effort into trying to make something functional for that area when what you're likely trying to do is make something that evokes the feelings associated with the seeing the Viper on screen. I suspect that there would be folks who would appreciate the engineering involved but that most would probably remain oblivious of the changes... :)

Static is great and acceptable. But, you've spent so much time on this, if better is DOABLE, then that could justify the extra time and effort. Ultimately, you're only doing this once.

Here's a thought - make it logical AND screen accurate. That's not the actual turbine face, that's a set of radial louvers that protect the turbines from various things that are, at the moment you see them, mostly closed. You don't have to make them move, it'd be complex and then you'd have to put in the turbine behind it where people could see. It's even something modern fighter aircraft use - check out the MiG-29 below.

MiG-29 intake doors.jpg

It's just that the colonies do things differently, so their doors are radial, "because."

For now, I'm going to try making them as fitted radial louvres and see how I feel about it. If I don't like it, I will make the intakes spinning fans.

To create the angle I have screwed some large wood screws into the timber behind the blades, using them as elevation gauges and a stop to set the height, then screwed down the trailing edge of each blade. Later, I'll paint the backing board a mat black, so it looks like you are looking into a dark engine cavity through the gaps in the louvres. Subject to change of course. Let's see what happens.

QKDWjuO.jpg

sj2jffr.jpg

Not happy with the intakes.

I tried it. I don’t like it. I remade it.

A spinning fan, when stationary, looks pretty much the same, so I grabbed an old pedestal fan motor and re-made the fan with oversized and overlapping blades this time. I have to source some thrust-bearings to square up the fan-plate and take the wobble out of it, but it is symmetrical, balanced and looks great in motion.

2HJn5uH.jpg

hW2dB80.jpg

RTmNihS.jpg

99eIiDf.jpg

lcOmWdX.jpg

USK9NYf.jpg

0CcsJYI.jpg

The fan has to go inside the ship’s fuselage just behind the cockpit, but that’s really no biggie. Even some of our modern day aircraft, like the Harrier Jump Jet have a similar design. I cut a slot in the side to allow for the fan.

pa4kcFV.jpg

r5SS6C6.jpg

Full story on the engines here.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! I, personally, like the functional intakes. I think most people at a convention won't even notice the minor design change. Great work.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back