Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper

That darned red light!

Can't afford to buy it? FINE THEN! I'll MAKE it. Scaled using a screenshot of the original prop and a know item that I have, (red switch). Turned on the lathe from polycarbonate rod, details melted in with soldering iron, collar is the lid off my wood glue bottle. Drilled out for a globe. I'll paint it with a red permanent marker.

Original prop
HOtht9a.jpg

Let's go!
yfVAP2d.jpg

s1592hQ.jpg

iIKONjN.jpg

IvCZiaT.jpg

IGdWwzU.jpg

AdqdF7Y.jpg

75tC3tD.jpg

Czrx4wq.jpg

Last edited:
That's what you can do with the right tools. Awesome job.

They have spray on translucent red paint also.

That point in your build when you turn to the dark side and just say, 'F it.....Ill clean up my space later.....too much fun now.'

Totally cool build!

Looking great! Amazing progress so what angles did you come up with for the panels? You are way ahead of me now! Will you have functioning joysticks?

Thanks guys.

I have left the wire and plug intact on the thruster control, so anything is possible later down the track. For now, I just want to get the thing together and looking good.

I haven't measured the angles, I just squeezed it in and cut until it fit. I can tell you that both the main instrument panel and the lower panel are both on angles, not vertical nor flat.

I've had no luck sourcing the panel from an old AMPEX VPR-80 video editing machine, so I've started to make it. A fellow overseas has been kind enough to run a ruler over his machine and send me the dimensions, so I've been hard at it in the shed tonight.

qYoEkh4.jpg

The large knob is the lid of a methylated spirits bottle with a steel plate glued to the top. The small knobs I turned from wood and painted up. The screens are clear perspex sheet and the large buttons are hand cut from opaque white perspex sheet. The red one is just coloured in with a permanent marker pen. The small buttons are dressed timber, cut and hand sanded into shape.

9rIv6xm.jpg

uQBL2yu.jpg

RYBIUzI.jpg

Full story here.

qYoEkh4.jpg

9rIv6xm.jpg

uQBL2yu.jpg

RYBIUzI.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks JB. :D

With new and unprecedented reference photos now made available to me, thanks to a secret benefactor, I have decided there are some angles,shapes and sizes I can't live with. So, I stripped the instrument panel out and fixed. Never be afraid to start over and strive for perfection!

I also trimmed an old parcel shelf out of a hatchback so size for a floor. Looks professional.

s5dS9tB.jpg

Ok6CIXc.jpg

And put it all back together again. :D

89yeOgN.jpg

Thanks for the encouragement folks! :D

Port instrument shelf almost done in cardboard. I can't afford to fibreglass it this close to Christmas, so I'll do the starboard side next to keep myself busy.

JsJBdtG.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back