Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Subscribe
    Nov 1, 2017, 7:25 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #76

Helmet rocks big time
    Nov 7, 2017, 8:19 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #77

^^^ Thanks mate.

Here's a shot of today's work on the cockpit. View from front to rear firewall.

LOTS of space inside this thing!
    The central spar is not yet aligned, but once I've screwed all the formers down, it will be aligned with the module in front, then removed.

Nov 7, 2017, 7:00 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #78

Yep, lots of room
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 12, 2017, 3:43 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #79

Some work on the cockpit, welding up a solid frame.

Full update here.

4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 7:16 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #80

Started putting the three modules together and gluing in the foam blocks for sculpting.

Full update here.

6. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 10:41 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #81

She’s (?) looking sweet mate . Been watching & appreciating your progress with this build for sometime now . Gotta ask though , have you got any idea how much she’ll end up weighing when all done ? Will you need a forklift / crane to move her around ? ... Anyhoo , I’ve subbed now . Look forward to more impressive updates .

Cheers Ged .

p.s., went for a squiz on your blog /website ? - and your Iron Man suit is bloody brilliant . Didn’t bring expressions of ‘ What The ? & Joy ‘ from only the kids I can tell ya !
    4 Weeks Ago  Nov 14, 2017, 9:10 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #82

gedmac66 said: View Post
    She’s (?) looking sweet mate . Been watching & appreciating your progress with this build for sometime now . Gotta ask though , have you got any idea how much she’ll end up weighing when all done ? Will you need a forklift / crane to move her around ? ... Anyhoo , I’ve subbed now . Look forward to more impressive updates .

Cheers Ged .

p.s., went for a squiz on your blog /website ? - and your Iron Man suit is bloody brilliant . Didn’t bring expressions of ‘ What The ? & Joy ‘ from only the kids I can tell ya !
    The weight has never been much of a concern for me beyond moving the individual modules for transport and storage. Each module is man-portable by one to two people, with the exception of the cockpit, which is the largest piece, (most cumbersome) and heaviest with all the internal panels, instruments and fittings. I will likely palletise the heavier modules and move them with a trolley jack. (pallet jack)

Thanks for the kind words mate.

Baz.
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 6:47 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #83

Made a bit of progress tonight. The foam cutting and fitting is very tedious. Full build here > http://www.buildsbybaz.com/category/viper-build/

9. RPF Premium Member brandomack's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 1:31 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #84

Are you using an angle grinder with sanding disc for smoothing the foam?
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 3:46 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #85

brandomack said: View Post
    Are you using an angle grinder with sanding disc for smoothing the foam?
    Awwwww heck no! That sends fluffy white crap everywhere. One slip with a high speed tool on this stuff can be a disaster. I am shaping using a hot wire cutter, various blades coarse sandpaper.
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 18, 2017, 4:21 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #86

Looking good...and you're right about using those tools to shape the foam: too messy with a grinder
    From
    Washington State
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 7:12 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #87

Hi Baz,

I put a couple comments on your site. I started the cockpit earlier this year and have some info here:
    https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275064
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:06 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #88

joberg said: View Post
    Looking good...and you're right about using those tools to shape the foam: too messy with a grinder
    Thanks mate. Quite right.

- - - Updated - - -

forttusken said: View Post
    Hi Baz,

I put a couple comments on your site. I started the cockpit earlier this year and have some info here:
    https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275064
    Thanks Chris. That looks excellent mate.

I can't find any comments on my site. Are you sure you submitted them?
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:10 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #89

Started fleshing out the starboard side and played around with my phone's panoramic settings. Really gives one an idea of how much room I don't have.

Full build at www.buildsbybaz.com

From
    Washington State
    3 Weeks Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 9:53 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #90

I am amazed at your progress! Sleep much?

I guess my comments didn't work.

Have you worked out all the cockpit internal dimensions yet? I am trying to figure out the angle on the main panel. As seen in this picture. I went with 1" back at the top and the panel is 14" high. It doesn't seem to be enough but I haven't seen any pictures where it is clear and it is different from the plans.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	775230

I am still trying to figure out how the side panels are setup. Are you planning to vac form them so the radio is inset?

Here is an overview of what I have assembled so far. I have to bondo the switch holes as they didn't work out as planned. The paint is done on the lower panel and joystick stand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	775232
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 24, 2017, 1:39 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #91

forttusken said: View Post
    I am amazed at your progress! Sleep much?

I guess my comments didn't work.

Have you worked out all the cockpit internal dimensions yet? I am trying to figure out the angle on the main panel. As seen in this picture. I went with 1" back at the top and the panel is 14" high. It doesn't seem to be enough but I haven't seen any pictures where it is clear and it is different from the plans.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0155.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	775230

I am still trying to figure out how the side panels are setup. Are you planning to vac form them so the radio is inset?

Here is an overview of what I have assembled so far. I have to bondo the switch holes as they didn't work out as planned. The paint is done on the lower panel and joystick stand.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0156.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	775232
    Mate, that looks excellent. I am just starting to put up the interior panels on the cockpit walls. Once they are in I will be able to work out the instrument panel. It's difficult to scale anything as the only drawings available are from Galactiguise and they are very low resolution and quality.

I have no facility for vacu-form so I will likely carve the shapes in polystyrene then fibreglass over the top. After that I can pull the polystyrene out.

Your pedestal looks great. Were you able to get an accurate scale for all of this or did you just make it up? I think that's all we can do without any more information than a few photos. The guy who owns the actual Viper used in the series emailed me to say that it is in storage and he has no time to answer my queries.
    2 Weeks Ago  Nov 24, 2017, 2:47 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #92

I got a lot more skinning done today and started trimming and shaping it a bit. It's so bloody BOORRRIIINNNGGG! So, I started putting the floor and interior walls in the cockpit to keep things interesting. A mate came over and asked me to modify his wheelchair, so that broke up the afternoon nicely for me. Cheerin'

2 Weeks Ago  Nov 25, 2017, 12:05 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #93

A plea for information!

1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 7:00 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #94

Been doing some work in the cockpit fitting the instrument panels. Planning with cardboard, then transferring to ply once it's right.

Full story here. http://www.buildsbybaz.com/cockpit-interior-fit-out/
  20. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 11:53 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #95

Hey Baz ,
    Just got thru your website updates . Gotta say I really admire your commitment and resolve for this project , considering all the apparent limitations involved re ; accurate reference material / photographs , components ( availability / prices ) etc ... You mentioned a conundrum on how to mount the cockpit instruments - I’d go with what looks best / feels right over how they’re mounted in actual aircraft ( unless originals of prop show differently ) , considering it is a sci - fi vehicle after all , albeit an amazing one .

Ged
  21. Member Since
    Mar 2014
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 4:51 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #96

So frakking awesome, following with interest. So say we all.
  22. The Occupant RPF Premium Member Jintosh's Avatar
    From
    Salinas, CA
    1 Week Ago  Dec 1, 2017, 6:31 PM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #97

So say we all.

1 Week Ago  Dec 5, 2017, 2:22 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #98

Bless ya gang! So good to hear people are enjoying the journey with me again!

I couldn't find the unit under the port-side RCS joystick, nor the piper fuel mixture lever and knob, so I went ahead and made them.

Instrument panel is coming along.

Full build here.
    1 Week Ago  Dec 6, 2017, 6:42 AM - Re: Builds By Baz- Full scale Mk II Colonial Viper #99

Update.