My Lost in Space 18" Hero Jupiter 2 build.

MARK M3

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
My Moebius 18" diameter Lost in Space Jupiter 2 build. I went all out on this build to capture the look and lighting of the original 4' model used in the production of Lost in Space. I filled in and sanded smooth the upper hatch, the model is painted flat aluminum, Both the scanner that rotates in the upper bubble and the mechanical lighting rig in the fusion core operate via motors and speed can be controlled by a variable speed potentiometer. Again per the 4' Filming model, I scratch built a faux interior as seen in the second episode broadcast,"The Derelict". As well as the figures in the viewport. I am quite proud of the effect I have achieved in the fusion core as no sequential set of LEDs could have the same effect. I believe I have what I set out to do...have a 18" version of the 4' miniature I feel in love with!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fantastic work! Shots look like they were taken FROM the original series. My childhood favorite show. Curious, I haven't seen the interior of your ship yet -- but did you get that spinning radar console screen to actually spin? If you did, I'd love to hear how you did it. Thanks!

FINALLY! An accurate version of the J2. I am very glad you did this version, the electronic fusion core never impressed me that much, but the mechanical version..... Spot on. This is how I'm going to do my future J2. Nicely done. BTW the Launch sequence put the icing on the cake! Again great job!
Mark

Fantastic work! Shots look like they were taken FROM the original series. My childhood favorite show. Curious, I haven't seen the interior of your ship yet -- but did you get that spinning radar console screen to actually spin? If you did, I'd love to hear how you did it. Thanks!

Hey Alan! Thanks for the very kind words! On this build I elected to use the same interior as the 4' filming model.I have built, too many to remember with the full interior and although it's beautiful in it's own right, too many compromises were made to fit the full size set into the hull contour of the Filming model...never liked it(sorry). I scratch built the faux interior using my Blu Ray footage from the episode, The Derelict". The computers should sit low in the viewport, every build I see has them too high...I wanted to capture the model the best I could, including the imperfections.

Last edited:
FINALLY! An accurate version of the J2. I am very glad you did this version, the electronic fusion core never impressed me that much, but the mechanical version..... Spot on. This is how I'm going to do my future J2. Nicely done. BTW the Launch sequence put the icing on the cake! Again great job!
Mark

Again, Sincere thanks! I wanted what I saw on the screen. Not some interpretation of how it looked. I disliked the chaser light kits and Cores that are available...All wrong. So being the passionate, nut that I am, I fabricated a mechanical core and the spinning scanner in the upper bubble. I really want a 4' Jupiter 2, but My wife who loves my work, would relegate me and my Jupiter 2 to live in the shed!!! This was the best compromise for now.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back