My Coalition Dead Boy WIP

xorex

Hi all,

First let me say thank you to "Brian" who showed me this armor can be done and also for his good idea for the spine.

So I decided to tackle foam, after ABS for my Sandtrooper, I thought it should be easy-ish.

Boy was I wrong,
-pattern
-trace
-cut
-heat form
-glue
-and so on...

So I have decided to show you guys what I have so far.

20161119_180447.jpg
Chest and arms

20161119_180459.jpg
Side view

20161119_180519.jpg20161119_180538.jpg
Full front and back view.

Here you can see the finished ab plate and part one of the legs.
20170418_150852.jpg20170418_150843.jpg20170418_150827.jpg

Well here you have it.
Here is what I used as patterns:
Chest: modified Evil Ted's chest
Arms: Evil Ted's arms and shoulders
Legs: patterned off of my Sandtrooper legs
details: all me

Also, I have a question.
I used silicone to hide the seems, and even after sealing it with plastidip, the seems still show. Also, on the forearms the silicon never actually dried (still feels sticky, and shows through the plastidip). A friend told me to try synthetic rubber, he uses it for the foam larp weapons he makes and it comes out seamless and even. I would like to have you take on that.

That same friend showed me the series Cosplay Melee (nice show). Some costumers used thermal plastic to mold it with a heat gun. I was wondering if thermal plastic is an other name for warbla.

I was wondering, would it be possible to actually cover the whole suit with thermal plastic/warbla as a sealer before painting?

Quick question (gee, do I have lots of those today): where can I buy therma plastic/warbla in Canada, more precisely near Montreal or Ottawa?

thanks all for help and feedback.

Last edited:
don't know the character but armour looks great, evil ted uses quick seal to cover his seams be worth checking out his videos. this is an observation not a critique are you going to round/soften the edges on the shoulders/biceps and forearms to match the rib section, if its meant to be that way I apologise :unsure

don't know the character but armour looks great, evil ted uses quick seal to cover his seams be worth checking out his videos. this is an observation not a critique are you going to round/soften the edges on the shoulders/biceps and forearms to match the rib section, if its meant to be that way I apologise :unsure

Thanks Gothic.
I will check out the videos. Yes the edges have been softened up. Those pics were taken as I was checking out the fitting, and then the worked continued.

keep the advice comming
thanks

Damn, that looks awesome. I wish mine looked half as good as that. Definitely following this.

Hi Brien,

thanks for the nice words. If you want I can send you some info on the different pieces and all.

I should say thank you for sharing your WIP, it showed me it was possible.
For the actual skull on the chest plate, I used your full front picture you had posted on your WIP. Printed it up to the right scale for me and then did a few tweeks and voila...
and for the actual spine I used your idea of using the "puzzle" side of the foam mats.
So, in a way there is a little bit of you in there :)

thanks
More pics will come later this week or early next week.

Thermoplastic could refer to Worbla, Sintra, Wonderflex or something else. I've used Black Worbla which needs less priming than standard Worbla.
Could definitely be used to cover the lot though will be a thicker layer than plasti-dip would be.

Different Silicone products have vastly different drying times, and some won't dry without much contact with oxygen.
Silicone really doesn't like paint. I prefer using wood filler to cover any gaps as it sands well and takes paint well.

Hi JohnnyMarvel,

I see what you mean. I have a question, wouldn't wood filler crack?

A friend of mine used synthetic rubber to cover/fill any gaps, what is your take on that?

thanks

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back