TIE Bomber Scratchbuild

My pleasure Philbouq, happy modeling!

Finally, I'm done the bomb launcher. I'm quite happy with the result. I snapped a money shot for you coins fans. Side note: that Australian 50 cent piece is huge.

This subassembly was pretty challenging and lots of fun. I'm glad to be moving on to other parts of the ship though.

Thanks for looking,

K.

DSCN5428.JPGDSCN5429.JPGDSCN5435.JPGDSCN5437.JPG

Hello everyone,

Time for another update. I spent a lot of time this weekend messing about with the final trimming of the bomb chute. Recall from above, I scratchbuilt the entire chute based on the original donor parts in full and not in their trimmed state. Well, I'm not 100% done yet, but it's a slow, careful process and I have to be patient. I'm up to 7 test fit ups and trims of the chute now and am closer than the pictures here, which go up to the fourth test fit. I'll take another picture when I get to the final position.

DSCN5442.JPGDSCN5451.JPGDSCN5452.JPGDSCN5453.JPGDSCN5454.JPG

Cheers,

K.

Last edited:
Thanks blakeh!

Yes, it's coming along and I'm getting excited. Seeing it with the bomb launcher on it makes me feel like I'm turning a corner. I'll be moving onto the inner wings soon and then it'll be an actual buildable kit. Of course, those wing inners will be a lot of work too.

Since the white glue test fitting of the bomb launcher takes a lot of time in terms of waiting for the glue to cure between evaluations and trims, I also got to work this weekend on the next fuselage details. There are 2 of each of this part, which are mirror images of each other. I only made one of each with the intent to make a mold and duplicate it for a total of 4. Like everything else, there is a lot of waiting for glue to cure between steps.

I finished after work this evening - almost. I say "almost" because when I look at the way larger than life photo on my monitor, I can see a flaw in one piece that I'll have to correct before I go on. It's pretty close though. More photos:

DSCN5456.JPGDSCN5475.JPGDSCN5469.JPGDSCN5465.JPGDSCN5462.JPGDSCN5461.JPGDSCN5459.JPGDSCN5458.JPGDSCN5457.JPGDSCN5476.JPG

Thanks for looking as always.

Edit: I swear, there is no rhyme or reason to the order the photos go in. Arrgh!

K.

Hey Keiko ,

Regarding the ‘ order ‘ your photos appear , ( being the meticulous person you seem to be ) must be frustrating . IMHO - I wouldn’t sweat it , your work and the sharing of , more than compensates . Thank you . Your latest post is really appreciated , due to it being almost a step by step tutorial ! . That new tip / idea on using the metal ruler ( smooth - flat side ) , is so cool , I’ll be using it soon enough along with others gleaned from this build ! :cheers

Ged :thumbsup

Hi Ged,

You've got me, it's totally frustrating. The website was being persnickety last night though and I was lucky to get my posts up at all. I don't know why it's like that. The photos are in sequence in my source folder and chronologically ordered by the camera. I highlight them left to right when selecting and still inexplicably end up out of order. It's always a surprise what order they come up in. I know it's obvious when looking what is supposed to be the sequence, but my perfectionist nature makes me freak out. Don't even get me started about my own spelling mistakes that I never notice on time!

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the last post, thanks for your comments. They are appreciated. As I was doing my write up, I thought about you in particular and suspected you might like the trick of assembling on the back of a metal ruler.

Cheers,

K.

Mate ,
I’ll take any and all hints / tips / tricks of the trade , help and advice I can get from talented people who’re willing to share , such as your good self . ;)
The photo order thing ?... I’m a computer illiterate - so can’t help you there . Maybe yours is sentient , and is just playing with you , cause you’re hand constructing things that are usually done by ‘ other ‘ machines !? LOL!!!

:cheersGed

Hi Ged,

You've got me, it's totally frustrating. The website was being persnickety last night though and I was lucky to get my posts up at all. I don't know why it's like that. The photos are in sequence in my source folder and chronologically ordered by the camera...

At least they're all upright, some folks are having problems with sideways pics. I don't know if you've noticed, but when you click to manage attachments there is a control on the upper right of the window where you can set the sort order. You can select by date or file name, as well as ascending or descending. See if changing those settings will fix the problem.

Yeah , cool film - with a pretty good soundtrack too ! Seems as though a lot of things were ‘ coming alive ‘ in films back then - home computers , shop front manikins , military robots etc...etc... fond memories ! :love

Ged :thumbsup

Hello again everyone,

I've done some more tinkering with the bomb launcher and chute, though no more pics of that. I'm pretty happy with the fit and alignment, but might adjust it a bit more during actual assembly. However for the time being, I've moved on to the inner wing details. There is one detail like a little comb that is repeated many times and I busted my mind thinking of how I would do this both well and without going crazy. Ultimately, I came up with a jig system. This occurred to me out of the blue while out for a run and I couldn't wait to get back home and get to work on it. Of course, I didn't have 0.4 mm x 1.0 mm strip on hand, so I had to make a trip to town for that. My stash gets bigger with each project.

Anyway, enough jabbering, how about some pics. Perhaps in order...perhaps not.

DSCN5478.JPGDSCN5482.JPGDSCN5483.JPGDSCN5484.JPGDSCN5485.JPGDSCN5486.JPGDSCN5487.JPGDSCN5488.JPG

Amazing as always! I love that you replicated the little hanomag greebles on the launcher! Incredible attention to detail.

Zoinks! I love tiny details!
I'm really enjoying your solutions for making itty-bitty reproductions of the kit parts on the original.

It is truly fascinating to watch see the step by step details for making those parts. It gives me lots of useful "tricks" to keep in mind for scratching parts

Thanks guys, I'm really glad you're enjoying the build and I appreciate the positive feedback. It's been a long haul, but I'm getting there. I think after this, I'll finish my Bandai Y-wing and then do something simple like a Spitfire or other basic airplane, straight from the box.

Cheers,

K.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back