Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    May 2016
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    3 Days Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 11:41 AM - Re: TIE Bomber Scratchbuild #101

Keiko said: View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm really glad you're enjoying the build and I appreciate the positive feedback. It's been a long haul, but I'm getting there. I think after this, I'll finish my Bandai Y-wing and then do something simple like a Spitfire or other basic airplane, straight from the box.

Cheers,

K.

Sure , sure build something straight OOTB , Hmmm ? .... wait !.... What ? ... what’s that I see outside my window !? .... Oh !.... a flock of pink winged porcine performing aerial manoeuvres through the air !!! .

Inconceivable !!!
    Last edited by gedmac66; 3 Days Ago at 11:48 AM.
  2. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    3 Days Ago  Nov 21, 2017, 1:22 PM - Re: TIE Bomber Scratchbuild #102

Haha, I think I can do it!

I'm pretty lazy, fundamentally speaking, and it's only my desire for an accurate TIE Bomber that is making me work so hard. Once this is done, I'll return to my slovenly ways. A good quality kit needing no modifications sounds like just the thing right now! This build is probably the most ambitious project I've taken on, and it'll take a while after it's done to build my mojo back up enough to take on the next crazy thing, whatever that is.

I had to laugh at the Picasso comment. I imagined what a model built by him would have looked like. It would probably have several vanishing points, both wings on one side, as well as a pilot with an arm growing out of his chest and both eyes on his left cheek.

Cheers,

K.
    3 Days Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 3:33 AM - Re: TIE Bomber Scratchbuild #103

Keiko said: View Post
    I was really intimidated by the rear part of the fuselages. I wasn't sure I could pull it off, so I tackled it next.

Attachment 750768Attachment 750769Attachment 750770Attachment 750771Attachment 750772

I'd found some formulas online for how to make a cone out of flat sheet. Knowing the taper of the cone and the diameter of the bottom allowed me to create the shapes. Of course, it's actually 2 cones, one within the other.

- - - Updated - - -

Here the rear covers continue with the second inner cone.

Attachment 750775Attachment 750774Attachment 750773

The same approach was used for its calculations, though it was easier without scribing all the lines.

- - - Updated - - -

Next up was the inner cone of the rear structure. As time went on, I began naming parts in my head as you'll see when I get to them, but I never came up with a good name for this part. I did however notice that it is also on the radar dish of the large Falcon miniature.
    THANKS so much for sharing this step.
    This part has me losing some sleep right now
  4. Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    2 Days Ago  Nov 22, 2017, 10:01 AM - Re: TIE Bomber Scratchbuild #104

Hi CM,

Cheers to that. Are you building a TIE Bomber too, or making cones on some other project?

Cheers,

K.
    2 Days Ago  Nov 23, 2017, 4:17 AM - Re: TIE Bomber Scratchbuild #105

The last thing I want to do is hijack your thread ( So I started a new one )
    I am building a TIE Punisher/Interdictor in 1/48 and after finding your progress on this site lets say ive made some progress due to the inspiration.
    Its a Tie bomber with five tubes and a large carry through section.
    If it turns out half as nice as this ill be happy. Seeing your pictures has given me so many ideas on how to make a lot of the parts.

Have a good one,
    Ben
    Last edited by CaptainMumbles; 1 Day Ago at 5:27 AM.