Hasselhoff confirms Knight Rider returns

And he was put into a Mercedes. .... and a Studebaker. I mean literally put in..... On the passenger seat after being fitted to a portable TV.

Funny though as common as 3Rd Gens were during the shows run the only other two we ever see are Longs car in KOTP and K.A.R.R. And if memory serves he is only refered to as being a Trans Am once. And that was by K.I.T.T. himself saying K.A.R.R. would give Trans Am a bad name. After that everyone just calls him a black T-top.

Anyway...... 82 Trans Am please. Maybe Michael as new head of F.L.A.G. with K.I.T.T. as his commuter with a new car and new hotshot doing all the detective stuff. be a good way of pleasing everyone with a bit of nostalgia as well as new gadgets in a new car. Maybe a female voice but not sure about a female Hero though..... Not sexist.... just practical for the kind of scrapes Michael always used to get in. And it didn't lead to a series for Knight Rider 2000. How about the Knight, Artificially, Intelligent, Three Thousand. K.A.I.T.T. for easy reference.... or KAITT if you prefer.

Hmmmmm...... maybe not.

Funny though as common as 3Rd Gens were during the shows run the only other two we ever see are Longs car in KOTP and K.A.R.R. And if memory serves he is only refered to as being a Trans Am once. And that was by K.I.T.T. himself saying K.A.R.R. would give Trans Am a bad name. After that everyone just calls him a black T-top.

Putting other non-KITT Camaros or T/A's in the show would draw attention to the similarities and de-emphasize how special KITT was. The show had no motive to play up the link except to please the manufacturer.

Pontiac asked them to quit directly referencing their product a few months after the show started. They probably figured that the connection had been made in people's minds and they didn't gain much by taking on the liability of an official link anymore. Quite a few Bandit-edition T/As had been crashed by the public during the previous years leading up to then.

Just read through this thread. I agree Michael reuniting with KITT would be great to open the show. I am a bit of a gear head, and I think if you told a story of a retired engineer of FLAG restoring KITT , and then flash to a mint 82 trans am rolling chases in the corner, that he purchased from some grandma with low miles (grocery getter). Michael unearths all of this, and hires a new crew of hot shot engineers to install KITT into the TA, with some cool upgrades. They could find a salvaged Telsa or Fisker and rob all the drive train components, and throw in some innovative nano technology, maybe a small drone ( designed better than the new blade runner, or that show VIPER).
The 82 TA would be a great car right now, because it doesn't stand out to much from other cars on the road, and is kinda like poor mans classic in a sense. Just my 2 cents

Ehhh, not so sure about this one. Knight Rider is almost on the level of Highlander in that every time they make a new movie or revived series it turns out to be just awful. And they have done it so many times. It is getting to the point where I wish they would just let it remain dead than make up a new series with joking talky motorcycles or odd Mad Max inspired settings.

IMO there just isn't the same audience for the whole premise that there was in 1982.

In 2018 Knight Rider is trapped in a chicken & egg problem. It doesn't get done well, because nobody can take it seriously, because it doesn't get done well.

The concept probably needs another 5-10 years of total rest before the audience might give it an honest try. That means no KR reboot attempts nor anything else similar to it. But another decade from now is getting so far removed from the old show that it would be more like starting from scratch than rebooting anything.

I wonder if Flash Gordon fans were having this sort of conversation in the late 1960s. George Lucas took it seriously a few years later.

Last edited:
The concept would need to get completely re-evaluated. Some of the gadgets were very James Bond, like the bulletproofness and the ejection seat. Some are much more commonplace now, from the car talking to the driver to the GPS to variable performance modes to exotic powerplants (okay, not exactly commonplace on that last one, but done a nonzero number of times since the early '80s). Knight Rider at the time was sort of James Bond meets The Saint. A lone adventurer out righting wrongs, but with a well-funded-and-equipped organization backing him.

That needs to still be the crux for it to be Knight Rider. But what trappings to wrap around that...? I don't have any answers, but I'm pretty sure they don't either -- whether they think so or not.

--JOnah

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back