Hasselhoff confirms Knight Rider returns

I really hope they go with the classic car and keep the gizmos simple but cool! No transforming into other cars! No No No! I would settle for the car having the ability to refract/reflect light giving the appearance of vanishing. That would be fun!

BUT! Make the stories fun, fresh and even a few story arcs run from season to season. OK... I'm done. ;)

I was surprised at how excited I am about this.

I suspect that the show will start off with Michael finding KITT. They drive to a secret location. KITT doesn't and can't talk.

Along the way, they drive through a tunnel. KITT scans a high tech car of some sort, and comes out the other end a Yellow Camaro.

Seriously though. Too much emphasis on the muscle car. The Hass would drive a nice practical Volvo Wagon. All wheel drive. Traction control SUPER safe. Very sensible styling. And high tech!

As much as I love the idea of having Knight Rider back, the fact is David, as much as his character Michael, would be too old to handle the action he used to do. But, I do see Michael taking over Knight Industries after the passing of Devon Miles, so I could imagine a new driver behind the wheel of KITT and Michael filling in Devon's position. In fact, that is what I had hoped would happen for the 2008 continuation of the show (yes, I've seen it. It wasn't bad, but they should have had the resurrection of FLAG way sooner instead of half way. The whole doing CIA missions is what I could tell the thing that lead to it losing viewership).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another thing I want to mention in relation to the topic is the body of KITT. As much as I think it would be great to have KITT in his old Trans-Am body, the fact is that it wouldn't work in the same reason why having KITT in a high-end sports car won't work. What I'm about to share with you is actually a reasonable explanation on a topic I've had a few times over at Knight Rider Online. You see, one of the things that made KITT great was the fact that he was a common car packed with a super computer. Trans-Ams were common on the roads, the running gag of people confusing KITT as a normal car made sense. You see, if you have a common car out on the road and it's following you, you wouldn't think twice that it's actually following you. Think of this: the Ford Mustang is currently a common model car out on the road. You're likely to see a variety of Mustangs from the past decade. So, if one was following behind you're car, you wouldn't think twice about it being a car following behind you may be packed with a super computer driven by an artificial intelligence. The fact KITT was a Trans-Am helped in surveillance and patrolling, because he was a common car that was readily on the road. That's why keeping him in his classic Trans-Am style, or even put him in a high-end sports car, would draw attention to the car even more (the Trans-Am because there's not that many classic Trans-Ams on the road, and a high-end sports car typically have a rather "loud" appearance to the point that it attracts attention). So, putting KITT in a commonly available car like a Camero, a Mustang or even a Dodge Challenger, makes sense because there's tons of them on the road, thus adding to KITT's greatest strength: the fact that people can mistake him for a common car.

I hope that makes some sense for people.

^ Makes perfect sense to me CB. If you're doing undercover work, the last thing you want is to draw attention to yourself. Make KITT a Honda Civic, add a little dirt and a couple of dents, and nobody would pay any attention to him.

The original TV show used the Firebird T/A as a product-placement deal. They were thinking "american version of James Bond" and not much farther than that.

The '82 Firebird was a brand new bodystyle when the show began. Firebirds still had the Smokey & Bandit bodystyle up through 1981. (The TV producers were actually given several of the very first '82s that were assembled)

Other characters in the TV show didn't react like KITT was a spaceship but they reacted like it was the coolest car they had seen all day. They got wowed more after they saw the hi-tech dashboard.

Strangely, when the pilot episode opened, they showed Hasselhoff's character already driving a (stock) black 1982 T/A before he gets shot and recuperates at the Knight Foundation. They never really clarified how his car related to KITT. It doesn't make sense that Hoff's car would have been the donor vehicle for a long-brewing KITT project so it seems to have been played for a coincidence. When Devon first shows Michael the finished KITT there was a comment or two like "No, this is not the same car you had."

KR's producers had also considered the Datsun Z:

7426580007_large.jpg

Last edited:
^ Makes perfect sense to me CB. If you're doing undercover work, the last thing you want is to draw attention to yourself. Make KITT a Honda Civic, add a little dirt and a couple of dents, and nobody would pay any attention to him.

A Honda Civic wouldn't be able to keep up in a chase. A Mustang, a Dodge Challenger or even a Chevy Camero will be enough to provide the unnoticeable aspect for uncover work and still provide enough horse power to be able to keep up in a chase.

The original TV show used the Firebird T/A as a product-placement deal. They were thinking "american version of James Bond" and not much farther than that.

The '82 Firebird was a brand new bodystyle when the show began. Firebirds still had the Smokey & Bandit bodystyle up through 1981. Other characters in the TV show didn't react like KITT was a spaceship (not until they saw the dashboard inside) but they reacted like it was the coolest car they had seen all day.

KR's producers had also considered the Datsun Z:

View attachment 779181

All that is true, but I'm talking about the concept of KITT. The Datsun Z and the Trans-Ams were both common on the road. And it was just fate that train of Trans-A s got wrecked that allowed for the deal to go through. But, at the concept, KITT was installed in a common car, one that no one would think twice about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A Honda Civic wouldn't be able to keep up in a chase. A Mustang, a Dodge Challenger or even a Chevy Camero will be enough to provide the unnoticeable aspect for uncover work and still provide enough horse power to be able to keep up in a chase...
@CB2001
There are whole subcultures that make various "Sleeper" cars that look stock, but have significant power. Honda Civic included. You'd never this had 600hp.
Funny, I was going to mention that very thing; KITT would only have to look like an average Honda Civic. Replace the engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes--hell, everything but the body and interior--with high-performance equivalents (particularly those of the fictional type like the original KITT), and you'd have a car that suits both needs. The latest Mustangs, Challengers, and Camaros, are still relatively new and get a lot of attention from car buffs, but nobody looks twice at a five-year old Civic. ;)

Funny thing is, KITT was already a sleeper back in the day.

The '82 Firebird T/A only had 150 HP from the factory.
Gas prices & smog regulations were kicking the crap out of Detroit in that era.

(The TV show's stunt cars were packing a little more punch, of course.)

When I was flagging for SCCA (and driving at PDX’), I saw a lot of Civics racing. Great affordable platform to make a winning race car out of.

I think I saw a vid on Jalopnik where someone took a K24A2 engine out of a wrecked TSX which was a rebadged Euro Accord CL9 (it was also used in the RSX or rebadged Integra), and put it in a Civic. A little suspension tuning and wheels to handle the power, and that 205HP stock engine made that puppy zooooom. (I drive a TSX with reflashed ECU, stiffer suspension, and had pretty competitive lap times at VIR. Like KITT, my stock-looking TSX with no A-spec badges looks benign, until I change from a large target to small target in people’s forward vision.)

Funny thing is, KITT was already a sleeper back in the day.

The '82 Firebird T/A only had 150 HP from the factory.
Gas prices & smog regulations were kicking the crap out of Detroit in that era.

(The TV show's stunt cars were packing a little more punch, of course.)
Based on this post, I think you might have the concept of a "sleeper" reversed. A "sleeper" is a car that on the surface looks like it's completely stock, but has had modifications that make it much faster and, if the owner is wise, handles and stops far better than a stock version.

That said, I have to agree the early- to mid-80s Firebirds and Trans Ams were maybe a little faster than their contemporaries on a good day, but not by much. Back in the mid-80s a good friend regularly borrowed his dad's '82 Trans Am, and we found some deserted streets and raced a few times; my bone stock '75 Chevy Monte Carlo left him choking on it's exhaust fumes every time.

I mean that if a bystander in the TV show thought KITT was an '82 TA, and was aware that those cars weren't very fast from the factory, then KITT's amazing fictional abilities would be a big surprise. Sleeper.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back