Buzz Lightyear Cosplay WIP

The pieces of the coals follow the same process.
- paper models using papercraft to scale
- structure with metal mesh
- paper and glue
- cover with foam

on the forearm piece I made some cuts until I felt I could move comfortably

IMG_20170125_224335.jpg IMG_20170129_091033.jpg IMG_20170129_091529.jpg IMG_20170129_093504.jpg

IMG_20170129_105149.jpg IMG_20170129_164233.jpg IMG_20170129_184510.jpg

A) What did you do on the shoulders? The pieces arm - elbow - forearm you have them with moorings inside so that they do not lose position or you take them loose?

Hello again! Apologies for the delay. I'm not the most active on this and had a busy couple of weeks.
The shoulders were actually one of the things I compromised to achieve the look I wanted for the chest. So I didn't have any shoulder 'pieces'.
I feel the design of the chest made this pretty inconspicuous.
The upper and lower arm pieces were padded inside so they sort of wedged on to my arm. The upper arm pieces had Velcro which stuck to a long sleeve t shirt which formed part of the stomach.

The forearm was just wedged and the elbow was trapped between the two.
This set up could be done better as after prolonged wear the lower arm in particular had a tendency to twist

B) did you have problems hiding the straps that join the pieces of the arms?

Didn't use straps for the arms.

C) the part of the torso / chest / back as you wear it, as you wear it fixed to the body? Rest on your shoulders

Yes it just rested on my shoulders. I added some padding to make more comfortable and tweak the position. It was designed based on my dimensions from small scale up so I didn't have any issue.

In the waist I hope to be able to place the rings that the character carries but they can not be wider than the chest, it will depend on the tests and see what this piece looks like

I ended up going pretty basic for this. I was tight on time but pretty happy with the result.
I had a long sleeve t shirt underneath with pipe insulation stitched in on the lower abdomen. I think it's shown on my build thread.

The dome I am thinking of thermoforming, I have access to a thermoformer with the right dimensions.

I look forward to it! I didn't have access to a thermoformer large enough so scrapped the idea.

The link does not work for me. I can not open it.

Try this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018R65J40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_ocM0zbCS6CZWB

I'm sure you've come across this already anyway. If I put 'neon powder' into Amazon I get it.
I decided to not go with the glowing paint since I wasn't confident I'd get the colour I wanted.

Were can i find some good temples to start a foam build for buzz! Looking great brother

Hello,
the model I am using is a papercraft made for paper created by "ELSO CRAFT".
can be found on the internet to download.
the author has a version of the patterns for foam that you can buy directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018R65J40/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_ocM0zbCS6CZWB

I'm sure you've come across this already anyway. If I put 'neon powder' into Amazon I get it.
I decided to not go with the glowing paint since I wasn't confident I'd get the colour I wanted.

I already have the pigment and paintings bought for the phosphorescent theme...

I am going to combine two techniques that I hope will give some effect according to the conditions where I can expose the suit.

First
I will paint all the green areas with a paint I found of a very similar green but that is phosphorescent.

Above this I will cover with some layers of a pigment used in lithography consisting of a pigment with a transparent coat that does not change the base color but is fluorescent.

Additionally I have hot silicon bars that are fluorescent that I hope to use in some particular places just to create edges. Maybe I use them only in the inner part of the neck because I'm not sure how badly the silicon will look.

- - - Updated - - -

note: I have several days without being able to update, I hope to be able to catch up soon with the rhythm that I take of the pieces. so far the photos I uploaded are pieces that I worked on several months ago.

did u ever finish this?

In September, I stopped work to be able to dedicate time to another cosplay that I should have in February.
I already picked up the Buzz but I have not had time to update the wip report. This something more advanced than the photos I show here.
Pieces that are half finished:
Boots (little advance)
Legs (adjusting measurements in patterns yet)
Cupula (working in a mold for thermoforming)
Wings (adjusting measures to enter all the pieces correctly)
This part is somewhat complicated because I am making it retractable
The rest is built, sealed and unpainted

The date that I have of goal to finish it is November
With the other cosplay I managed to win a selection contest and in November I appeared in the final with the Buzz. if I win in November I will have my national representation quota for Yamato Cosplay Cup

wow awesome. I can only imagine creating this. I tried for a long time to have it made but the cost was prohibitive and I have no space in NYC to build this kind of thing. Keep it up. Can't wait to see...

I am still in progress with the project
part of the advances has been in the mold to make the thermoforming of the dome
the process:
1) 3D model (find a friend)
2) from the model using software generate a pattern of layers to assemble the structure
3) Cut the pieces in cardboard and assemble the 3D
4) Fill with anime (also cut with patterns)
5) minor adjustments to complete the form
6) sanding, putty, sanding sanding sanding

please do not talk about costs :( I live in Venezuela

IMG_20171104_150923.jpg IMG_20171118_152328.jpg

After sanding the anime I gave him a layer of white glue to harden a bit.
from here he adds epoxy putty (bondo) and then touch up putty. Sand a lot until the curvature is very smooth.
I do not have photos of the piece already smooth. One of the domes is ready and the mold is working on the second one.

It really is a lot of work and there are several ways to do this differently. But in my case it is the one I found possible to make, I have access to a thermoforming machine and for that I need a mold.

I lost my phone :(, a minute of silence on my phone ...
I have advances but without photos I'm sorry.
Advances:
- Molds for the dome: almost ready, there is very little left. I'm worried that maybe he misjudges the height and could hit his head. I'll have to solve this later. maybe add some material to raise the dome a little. This adjustment I have to do later.
- Left arm: I already have a panel that opens and closes. a piece of magnet and keeps the door very well. I can open it without problem with my hand and close it with a movement.
- Balaclava: I already have the main piece all sewn and with details. I'm working on the pieces that he wears in his ears. I opened some holes to improve listening because otherwise I will be completely deaf.
- Boots: little progress. Only some tests. But I'm not yet putting together the complete piece
- BackPack, Jet: I found a motor with gear that gives me good torque, I hope I can adapt it to open the wings. Although it is the part I most want to work correctly, I do not have much hope for it, many things can go wrong.
- Ship: For the presentation I have a fabric with the ship drawn. It's already complete and it really looks amazing. It is necessary to adjust the system of tubes to be able to assemble before the presentation.

Date of presentation: November

I'm sorry about your phone,
excellent project, always and had the intention of making a realistic version of Buzz, I hope in the future. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back