Putting together another ST:ENT uniform

Sulla

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've made 3 Enterprise jumpers before from my own patterns. This time I am working with Alex and Kate's (of Bad Wolf Costume's) patterns and tutorials. This will not be a critique of their patterns. Here at the beginning of the post I will fully endorse Bad Wolf Costumes though. Their work is superb and their patterns are professional and their tutorials and costume analysis are free and comprehensive!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am starting with their Enterprise undershirt. As a test I am making this shirt strait from the XL pattern size. I can already tell that I'll have to make a second to accommodate my larger neck size and longer arms. (I usually wear a LT or XLT with a 17-17.5 neck size - all US sizes). That means this first shirt may go up for sale when I am done.

The hobby room is on the top floor of the house and has exposed beams. We are getting the roof redone so I have taken over the dining room for this project while the hobby room is dismantled temporarily.

35654064503_ff9a1aacec_o.jpg

Here are some current progress shots. As of now the body panels are assembled, the facing is attached and the collar is done. I spent last night hand sewing the buttons in place. Tonight I hope to at least get the button holes done.

I traced the patterns onto my own paper in order to conserve the original copy.
Marking out the pattern on the fabric.

36462123365_45dc5af76b_o.jpg

First step, pinning and sewing the front and back panels together, then serging the seam allowance and pressing.

35654064543_d3a3981904_o.jpg

Skipping ahead a bit, here is the shirt with the interfaced facings added with seam allowances serged and pressed.

36293854992_eaaf5fe8f3_o.jpg

Finally, as of last night, the facings have been pressed in, the collar fully assembled with the facing and the buttons hand sewn. Next: the button holes and sleeves.

36293855042_42a9704185_o.jpg
36462123325_6a2aff8380_o.jpg

Awesome! I just got the patterns for the undershirt myself. I've never sown before... So while the patterns looks great to me, how easy a project for novice will it be... in your opinion... I also want to augment the pattern to attach shorts to it... like long johns that are shorts.

I know the pattern has a onesie option. I guess adding legs to it could work. Or just sew the shirt to some legged briefs, maybe?

Take it slow. Do a test version in some cheep cotton knit or muslin at least. This is a pretty strait forward thing to sew, but the facing around the collar took me a few minutes to figure out. Also a taylor's ham is indispensable for pressing the collar

Only had a few minutes last night after all the family obligations. I started tracing Alex's ENT Jumpsuit pattern for the first muslin test.

36647757865_a18d047e9a_o.jpg
[/url]

Got the muslin test uniform done. I went from traced patterns to a finished test jumpsuit. Obviously I did not sew on a bunch of pockets or notions; this was just to test the fit. I have to say, Bad Wolf's pattern is great! I had to lengthen the sleeves and the torso to fit my taller frame, but otherwise, it was a breeze not having to make a bunch of alterations.

I got all the pattern pieces traced and cut out on paper. Tonight I pre-wash the bull denim and get started on the real thing.

36207330314_a2b65140a8_o.jpg

36901398971_57996074da_o.jpg

Progress is slow!

We got the hobby room functional again and I started tracing out my patterns this last weekend.

37170062564_c14f47c9ff_k.jpg

37160002483_536c0954b4_k.jpg

Production used bull denim of a custom dyed blue. The first season uniforms were of a much more purple hue when lighted and the later season uniforms were a more pale blue.

Onlinefabricstore.net carries some good alternatives. Of the four jumpsuits I have made I have used Slate Blue Topsider bull denim, but have also used Cobalt Blue Topsider bull denim. I have even used Medieval Blue which is also suggested by Bad Wolf who makes the great commercial pattern I am using this time around.

I think the slate blue is a much closer match to the later season fabric (having found nothing close to the purple blue of the first season uniforms) though some like the look of the cobalt better. I have a sample of the later season fabric I got form Martin Netter of Filmwelt Germany who bought up a ton of Star Trek stuff including uniforms and unused product fabric. I am using the slate blue this time and I'll dig out that original sample and take some pictures.

My original build thread on the ENT jumpsuit from 2011.
My tutorial based on the above 2011 work.
A recent conversation about the fabric choices.
Alex and his wife of Bad Wolf Costumes then made a fabulous tutorial and pattern with an extremely comprehensive study of the uniform. He caught a ton of things I missed.

Here are some posts I made back in that 2011 thread about the fabric samples.
The original samples.
Martin's fabric sample, the Medieval Blue sample sitting on a 1st season uniform with a later season fabric epaulet for reference.

Production used bull denim of a custom dyed blue. The first season uniforms were of a much more purple hue when lighted and the later season uniforms were a more pale blue.

Onlinefabricstore.net carries some good alternatives. Of the four jumpsuits I have made I have used Slate Blue Topsider bull denim, but have also used Cobalt Blue Topsider bull denim. I have even used Medieval Blue which is also suggested by Bad Wolf who makes the great commercial pattern I am using this time around.

I think the slate blue is a much closer match to the later season fabric (having found nothing close to the purple blue of the first season uniforms) though some like the look of the cobalt better. I have a sample of the later season fabric I got form Martin Netter of Filmwelt Germany who bought up a ton of Star Trek stuff including uniforms and unused product fabric. I am using the slate blue this time and I'll dig out that original sample and take some pictures.

My original build thread on the ENT jumpsuit from 2011.
My tutorial based on the above 2011 work.
A recent conversation about the fabric choices.
Alex and his wife of Bad Wolf Costumes then made a fabulous tutorial and pattern with an extremely comprehensive study of the uniform. He caught a ton of things I missed.

Here are some posts I made back in that 2011 thread about the fabric samples.
The original samples.
Martin's fabric sample, the Medieval Blue sample sitting on a 1st season uniform with a later season fabric epaulet for reference.
Such detail. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back