Print, Mold and Roto-casted Iron Man Mark 45

TKCC71

Another journey begins and will soon be adding another one to the collection below. Wannabe's awesome build has convinced me that this is definitely one of the nicest suits made. This time I plan to take completely different approach to building this suit. Each piece will be printed, smoothed/finished, molded and rotocasted in Urethane Resin (Smooth-on 65D). So far, I have been working on the Abs and Back trying to get it very smooth and lines as straight as possible for the casting. (Hopefully will start tonight) Also this suit will be painted clear coated by a local automotive collision repair/body shop who had offered their services. The internal flexible boots and shorts will all be printed and then casted directly on the print in Ultracal 30 then will be made from Dragon Skin silicone.

Pretty excited about this build looking forward to sharing the journey here.

(Not sure why but the photos came in sideways?)

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2272.JPGIMG_2271.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks. Shakeitdavey.

Well the cast was split in half and added a Fiberglas alignment trim on the sides to keep the back and abs even. Still lots of more work to do. Also added a first coat of primer. Can't believe how well the details pop.

d0599b7519d3d0f866e6de852ea0b1a6.jpg

5d8196b235c154fb6b8f5dc0eb05d486.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its solid as a rock. I could throw it down a set of stairs and it would just bounce. I casted a little but to much resin on it. I may in future experiment with doing another cast and then cutting the abs individually then putting elastic bands behind it for flexibility.

Its solid as a rock. I could throw it down a set of stairs and it would just bounce. I casted a little but to much resin on it. I may in future experiment with doing another cast and then cutting the abs individually then putting elastic bands behind it for flexibility.

That's really cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great so far. Have you already decided on your paint choices? I'm debating making a Mk 45 but the color of the suit in the movie is pretty hard to replicate.

Screen%u00252BShot%u00252B2015-03-05%u00252Bat%u00252B9.48.50%u00252BPM.png
Wish you the best of luck

Looks great so far. Have you already decided on your paint choices? I'm debating making a Mk 45 but the color of the suit in the movie is pretty hard to replicate.

Taking my time on this, the paint will come last. I had a local automotive body shop offer to paint and clear coat but not sure if I will take them up on it. Would like to try and do it myself but I might have them coach me in the proper process.

tijojo Rip wallet --- Lol, yea I am finding out I may not roto cast everything. It still up for debate.

Looking great so far. If you finish before me I'm going to hunt you down. -- it's moving along pretty quick, but I give you all the credit for this since you convinced me that of all the models, the Mark 45 looks the best. :)

So far I have pretty much printed the whole suit with the exception of the feet, helmet, neck. (Back should be done shortly). Here's the progress on the post finishing. Still lots of more sanding and detailing on the parts till I will be satisfied.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 757368

A little more sanding today and both palms are finally finished printing. Will definately make a cast of these for future suits. The palms were printed via a SLS printer (Formlabs 2) in tough resin. Cant believe how well they come out. Very little post finishing required.

IMG_2686.JPGIMG_2779.JPGIMG_2780.JPG

Last edited:
Helmet is finally finished and ready for Mold and cast. I also picked up my automotive paint and clear coat from the House of Colors. Can't wait to see how that red will come out.
IMG_2943.JPG

That helmet looks great!! Just curious, did you follow a tutorial online for molding and casting or were you already familiar with this process before starting? I'm looking to cast some parts but no idea where to start. Thanks, and good luck

That helmet looks great!! Just curious, did you follow a tutorial online for molding and casting or were you already familiar with this process before starting? I'm looking to cast some parts but no idea where to start. Thanks, and good luck

Thanks Huang, just been watching lots of videos both on Youtube and in the StanWinston School of Character Arts. There are so many different approaches and techniques, you just need to find which one works best for you. Lots of trial and error. Im nervous to see how this one will come out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back