My Wonder Woman Build (Finished pics added!)

Zlurpo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
A friend commissioned me to make her a Wonder Woman costume, so here's the progress so far.

I made a body form I could build on. I used a bunch of plaster strips wrapped around her (with plastic wrap underneath) to get a basic shape.

I stretched some leather (I had some extra thin, veg-tanned leather from some other build) over the plaster form (which I had reinforced with Great Stuff expanding foam).
0FfqGEi.jpg

I got some Model Magic clay (sometimes called marshmallow clay) from hobby lobby in a similar color to the leather, and sculpted on some details like the sharp cup bottom edge and the abs. It adheres really well to dry leather, no gluing needed.
55SGPo7.jpg

Ok sorry, missed a step or two in here. First, I covered the whole piece in masking tape, every little contour. Then I drew on the panels where I thought they should be. I don't have a way to explain how to cheat that, because I eyeballed all of it since I didn't want to deal with photoshopping up a pattern and making it fit just right. Then I used an xacto knife to cut out each piece from the tape, leaving behing the ~1/8th inch gap between the pieces. I taped the pieces onto some more leather, and traced the hole left in the tape. Once all the pieces were cut and removed and traced, I peeled off the skeletal remains of the tape, so I'm just left with the bodice with lines drawn on.
NjSfZHS.jpg

I cut out each piece from leather, then peeled off the tape, and taped it to the other side of the leather, then cut out the mirrored pieces.
kjjKBNF.jpg

All the tape peeled off.
aJs75eU.jpg

Now using contact cement, I glued all the pieces back in the spots where I had left the trace lines. I glued the mirror spots in their matching spots on the other side. The second side didn't go on perfect since people aren't symmetrical and I'm not perfect at making things, but it was really close, just a couple pieces needed adjusting.
gDgt6lB.jpg

Same process on the back.
c6O0skn.jpg

Finishing the back details with the top and bottom stripe work.
JIki4JB.jpg

The front with the strip work added, and I've begun filling the gaps with liquid leading, a rubbery liquid sold with stained glass making supplies in craft stores. It dries fairly fast and takes paint pretty well, and it's super flexible.
F7PboNH.jpg

I then painted the whole thing in the liquid leading (no actual lead in it, it's just made to look like stained glass leading). This way I have a flexible even coating that holds the texture I give it, and the leather doesn't absorb any paint.
OnNtCkJ.jpg

Detail to see the texture.
ovwpuny.jpg

Back primer, or if Batman designed Wonder Woman's costume.
l4MLkzP.jpg

And with a layer of a pale gold.
24fF53f.jpg

Soon I'll add the red, and then weathering and such. The gold is intentionally too light, I'll airbrush on some more gold/yellow tint later.

Last edited:
Re: My Wonder Woman Build (pic heavy)

The skirt material is looking good. Great texturing! Are you planning on making shoes/greaves/knee protectors, or buying?

The skirt material is looking good. Great texturing! Are you planning on making shoes/greaves/knee protectors, or buying?

So far I was only hired to make the armor and skirt, so I think she's planning to make her own boots.

Complete! I didn't get many pictures of the skirt build. Mostly it's strips of the leather sewn onto a large strip of elastic.

Torso armor and skirt by me, the rest she made/bought.

---
---

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back