Force Awakens Chewbacca costume felt "off"

DarkHelmet

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I searched the forum to see if this was being talked about but didn't find anything. If it has I apologize.

TFA Chewbacca just didn't look right. Peters eyes didn't show through very well and the overall shape of the mask head was "off", even the lip mechanism. Did anyone else feel the same way?

Last edited:
Re: Force Awakens Chewbacca costume felt "off"

Yes. The whole movie felt "off."

It looked like Chewy had been using some Nice and Easy on his grey because he looked younger!

[

Don't get me started... Don't get me wrong it's hard to recreate a suit to look as crap as the original using modern designers and creators...but it was a bit too "polished" even for me. I didn't let it detract from the film anyway as I loved it. My Chewie suit is based on Ep IV.. I don't think you can beat that...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

So many fan made suits are spot-on which is why I find it a bit perplexing they couldn't do it for an official movie. Btw, I loved the movie too.

From my understanding the only scenes Mayhew were in was the cockpit scenes (and not all of them) he was also in the "chewie were home" scene but he wasn't the chewie walking up the ramp, he only stood beside ford in the scene, and if u notice chewie also tends to be hunched over in that one shot

He also was on many sets as a "advice giver" to the new actor. I know he was on set with the maz battle, because I saw photos of him and his chair

I think the fur looked too new to me, they added more grey where the grey is. And that was because they said like everything else Wookiee's age. Though chewie is 200 years old, this is a ripe age for a Wookiee, I guess it would mean 35-40 years of age for a human

I didn't mind the new suit, but I can completely agree the eye section of the mask was totally different

His fur was more fluffy as well. In ANH mayhew was extremely thin, and you could see it in chewies arms how close to suit was to him. Barely any slack

As far as chewie fur goes, RoTJ fur is my favorite! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chewy looked completely different in ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. Much like Vader in the OT Chewy looks 'similar but different' in all 3 OT movies.

From watching the BTS and reading interviews the TFA suit and mask were more or less 'exact' copies of the OT, where the ROTS Chewy was much like the Vader costume, light sabers, etc.. where 'just make it kinda look right' was okay.

I thought in TFA, all things considered, Chewy looked fine. He didn't look exactly like Chewy, but then again Han didn't look exactly like Han either.

I'd rather enjoy the movies and the characters then get hung-up on the small details.

I think it's the eyes.
Looks like Chewie went under the knife.
A2D7E069-9536-4BCC-853D-DF0BC8E271E0.jpg

Last edited:
He looked different, but I rolled with because his mobility was so much better. Sorry Peter, but this was arguable the most Chewie was ever utilized as a character.

I wished he was more gray, but I thought the costume looked great. However, it was a little off-putting to see Chewie's fingers! In the OT, we never really got a good look at them.

How about comparing the differences of the Chewie masks/suits between 4, 5, and 6. But I know those films get built in immunity from criticism. They all had their differences. I didn't really see anything majorly off at all. No more than I did beween the OT suits if I was comparing film to film of those, as I mentioned.

I think the eyes looked a little weird. Hard to say exactly what it was. But I was glad to have Chewie and his bowcaster back, and not that monstrosity from ROTS. I'm also looking forward to a more classic looking Threepio in TLJ.

Personally I like to think that there is a story behind why Chewie looks that way, like maybe he found a good conditioner, or maybe Han had him shaved a while back to deal with the shedding and his new coat is soft and shiny.

TFA never felt right to me.

30f039d15536aa0c911830253bbde93b3842b484452544bd07187f72eb530391_1.jpg

I mean, did you see the ROTS suit? :lol TFA suit was a welcome return to a proper Chewie, in my opinion. Never felt off to me.
This. I mean, that center part in his head hair was just terrible.

Besides, TFA Chewbacca was a million times superior to... RotS Chewbacca.
757fd34a66ec31bff17f8ce75e5b6a83.jpg

Nevermind we had to look at RotS Chewbacca for YEARS as they used this look for their marketing. If TFA Chewbacca replaces this, it would be a well welcomed change.

From my understanding the only scenes Mayhew were in was the cockpit scenes (and not all of them) he was also in the "chewie were home" scene but he wasn't the chewie walking up the ramp, he only stood beside ford in the scene, and if u notice chewie also tends to be hunched over in that one shot

He also was on many sets as a "advice giver" to the new actor. I know he was on set with the maz battle, because I saw photos of him and his chair

I think the fur looked too new to me, they added more grey where the grey is. And that was because they said like everything else Wookiee's age. Though chewie is 200 years old, this is a ripe age for a Wookiee, I guess it would mean 35-40 years of age for a human

I didn't mind the new suit, but I can completely agree the eye section of the mask was totally different

His fur was more fluffy as well. In ANH mayhew was extremely thin, and you could see it in chewies arms how close to suit was to him. Barely any slack

As far as chewie fur goes, RoTJ fur is my favorite! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it Mayhew or Suotamo in the scene where Chewie is getting checked out by the doctor? The mannerisms were dead on if it was the new guy.

As far as Chewie's fur looking nice and fluffy, that makes sense to me since he's well off, well-fed, and no longer under the constant stress of being on the run from the Empire/Jabba! Think about the way a stray dog looks before and after it finds a home.

Was it Mayhew or Suotamo in the scene where Chewie is getting checked out by the doctor? The mannerisms were dead on if it was the new guy.

I honestly couldn't tell ya buddy, all I have seen was what I've stated. And mayhew wasn't in all the cockpit scenes

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back